• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Constantine

laugh.gif

How the mighty have fallen... Torquay are even looking to buy him if he does well and to be honest, it's got to be another step down for the man that was "our top goal scorer last season!".

Incidentally Torquay claim he scored 26 goals for us
rock.gif
but unless he's been back to Southend, played and scored another goal without us noticing, it should be 25... or are Torquay trying to boost Connie's confidence? fat chance!
biggrin.gif

The question is: why would Connie want to go to Torquay? granted, they are in League 1 but I guess their stadium is half the size of ours which is bound to restrict their spending power, so how will they be able to afford his outlandish wage demands?

Welcome to the real world Connie!
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Oct. 28 2004,09:46)]
laugh.gif

How the mighty have fallen... Torquay are even looking to buy him if he does well and to be honest, it's got to be another step down for the man that was "our top goal scorer last season!".

rock.gif
 but unless he's been back to Southend, played and scored another goal without us noticing, it should be 25... or are Torquay trying to boost Connie's confidence? fat chance!  
biggrin.gif

The question is: why would Connie want to go to Torquay? granted, they are in League 1 but I guess their stadium is half the size of ours which is bound to restrict their spending power, so how will they be able to afford his outlandish wage demands?

tounge.gif
That is a really bloody stupid post.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Oct. 28 2004,09:54)]Good luck to him, I hope he does well.
Yea, I've got nothing against him any more. If he'd gone to Posh and bagged a load of goals, I'd have been more ****ed...

The fact that he is struggling shows that it probably was a lucky season and though I'd have him back, I dont think he is the player he thinks he is...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Oct. 28 2004,09:46)]
laugh.gif

rock.gif
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
Written by someone who probably works as a steward at RH on a Saturday.

Let's not feel too sorry for Leon. He had a great season last year but seemed to forget that his career was in tatters before he came to us. If he'd stayed another season at the Hall where his confidence was sky high, he might have bagged 20 more goals and really become a great striker. He moans about being short changed by the club, we gave him a last shot at the big time. He left for the money thinking he could walk on water and is now having to re-establish himself. In short he has made a complete mess of the last 6 months of his career. Maybe he'll turn it around, don't really care anymore.

I really must learn not to rise to these idiotic posts.
For the last time,
Imagine this scenario, You support Southend but play football for Northampton Town. Apart from playing one season for Northampton Town you have no other connection with them. Your contract expires. Another club in League 1 comes in for you. They offer you a contract playing football at a higher level on alot more money.
Northampton Town eventually end up offering you a contract but its far lower than the league 1 offer.
You decide to further your career and sign for the league 1 side.
Does this make you a mercenary?
Does this mean you think you can walk on water?
Like hell it does.
Explain to me Technician and Olviss why it is funny to see a player who arguably single handedly kept us up last season with his goals struggling to find form now?
mad.gif

I would have to disagree that he went to Peterborough to 'further his career'.

From the pre-season with them it seems his place was on the bench and was always going to be on the bench. He went for the secruity of the contract which i have nothing against him doing.
The contract Southend offered was money mostly in bonuses if he continued to do well. Obviously he felt he could not score another 25 goals and went to Posh as they were offering a straight down the line contract with no added bonuses etc.
If Southend had offered him the same contract as Posh did i suspect he would have stayed as he was established in the team and was playing well.

So personally he went for the secruity of the contract not for career reasons.

he went there to get more money...

shame if he stayed with us he would have made a big name for himself. he is the forgotten man already. had one bright season and this year, nothing.

well if he didn't go we probably wouldn't be signing freddy.

HAPPY DAYS!

Going to peterbrough will not further his career ok hes playing at a higher level but they are a poor div 2 side and hes a one hit wonder who owed us another season after we gave him a job after he was released by millwall and no 1 wanted him. Cort on the other hand i can understand he gave us 3 or 4 years(i think) good service and left us to go to one of the biggest teams in the league 1.

Now leon is at a club that is certain to come back down to league 2 while sufc have a far better squad than last year and look set to challenger for promotion.

another player who just thought about the money rather than everything else and he like David lee will struggle to recapture his good form and find a club.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ Oct. 28 2004,14:43)]I really must learn not to rise to these idiotic posts.
For the last time,
Imagine this scenario, You support Southend but play football for Northampton Town. Apart from playing one season for Northampton Town you have no other connection with them. Your contract expires. Another club in League 1 comes in for you. They offer you a contract playing football at a higher level on alot more money.
Northampton Town eventually end up offering you a contract but its far lower than the league 1 offer.
You decide to further your career and sign for the league 1 side.
Does this make you a mercenary?
Does this mean you think you can walk on water?
Like hell it does.
Explain to me Technician and Olviss why it is funny to see a player who arguably single handedly kept us up last season with his goals struggling to find form now?    
mad.gif
Everyone has differing opinions, but the simple fact is Constantine "claimed" he wanted to stay at Southend right up until he left the club in May, but in reality he never even wanted to fulfill his contract and was looking for a way out back in December. Yes, I agree that he wanted to maximise his wage potential! who wouldn't... but the way in which he went about it compared to Cort was like chalk and cheese.

The latter is "of course" a quality player and he is now playing at Hull with our blessing... why is that? eh! I'll tell you... it's because he wanted to better himself and remember, it was not a money orientated move because we offered the same as Hull did!. Furthermore, I believe Cort is still at Hull, still making it into their side and looks good enough to be playing in the Championship next year, whereas Constantine clearly is not... otherwise he would be getting in the side at Posh and not being out on loan to some tin-pot club down in the west country.

If you ask me whether I like Constantine? No, I don't... we don't need his sort of player at this club and I am glad he's gone! good riddance!
tounge.gif

Benfleet shrimper - you ask me what I find funny about the Constantine situation?  I don't find any of it funny.  People keep saying how in any work it is difficult to turn down offers of greater wages.  I disagree - maybe foolishly, but I do.  Loyalty is a key attribute to teamwork and that is something that I will always believe in my own work and in any other occupation.  Constantine left because of the money, he left after a very decent season for us.  I have not forgotten that his goals saved us from relegation, but as I previously posted I have not forgotten how we found him and rescued him from football obscurity.  He owed Southend more committment than he was prepared to show.  

I agree one hundred percent with the views about Leon Cort.  He has put in three years good service to the club and was offered a genuine opportunity to improve his career.  He was honest with the club and he was grateful for the opportunities provided.  I wish him every success in the future and will always hold fond memories of his time at the club.  Constantine will always leave a bitter taste because of what he has done.

To conclude my rant Benfleet Shrimper, where in my post did I wish any bad luck on Constantine?  I merely stated that I didn't really care what he got up to in the future.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion, I just ask you to listen carefully to it regardless of whether you agree.

If you are out and about looking for a better job you still try and keep your current employer sweet don't you?

I have no problem with the way Constantine left.

Lets also not forget - The fact that he was told that he wouldnt be first choice striker this season as Broughton and Dudfield were going to be!!! Goodluck Leon thats what i say! If your not appreciated somewhere you move on, which is exactly what he's done by going to Torquay!! Even the fans appreciate him there!

Hear, hear.

I was looking at a DVD of Leon's goals on Saturday... frankly, it makes the decision to let him go look even more baffling.

I wish him every success at Torquay - he appears to have been treated fairly shoddily by our club, and I took no pleasure whatsoever in seeing him falter at Peterborough. Hope it works out for him at Plainmoor - he has certainly made a good start to his career there.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Nov. 08 2004,12:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 08 2004,11:30)]I was looking at a DVD of Leon's goals on Saturday
Barry's got a DVD just of Leon's goals? Bizarre.
not really that bizarre considering he scored most of last seasons goals!!!

not that bizarre considering Leon did actually score most of the goals last season!!!

Back