• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Contract Cancellations!

millzy300982

Just wondering why it is that everyday I log onto the southend website someone else contract has been cancelled. I know the wages most of these boys were on were obscene but surely selling them for something, even if its a nominal fee, would be beneficial to the clubs finances???

Its all Peter Clarkes fault for being given such a generous contract. And James Walker for hitting the bar against Doncaster. We'd be in the Prem if it wasnt for those two.

Clubs have obviously not wanted to buy these players along with the silly high wages they want.
For example if a player is on 200,000 a year, they can't justify paying 200,000 for them and then paying 200,000 a year for them, especially as the players have just been relegated to League 2 and are quite fairly I think, considered as gambles.

Just wondering why it is that everyday I log onto the southend website someone else contract has been cancelled. I know the wages most of these boys were on were obscene but surely selling them for something, even if its a nominal fee, would be beneficial to the clubs finances???

this has been brought up on countless threads
  • sell to who exactly ?
  • In the meantime we should be paying them - which we can't afford
  • do you not think that the club, which knows the full facts hasn't thought this through
I understand what you are saying, none of us are happy but we are where we are

My favourite line from each of the players leaving reasons is that they "want to play at a higher level than league two". Logic would suggest that being relegated to league two means that you are not good enough to play at a higher level. NONE of the players that have recently left deserve anything more than league two (Francis might be the only exception, but probably not).

I have a different view on this . The fact that 'bigger' clubs playing at a higher level are coming in for our players suggests that theretically we were too good to go down last year. bugger !

In my opinion the team deserved relegation due the perfromance in the final third of the season in which they couldn't have cared less.

Probably because we didnt pay them regularly they were entitled to tear up their contracts....

My favourite line from each of the players leaving reasons is that they "want to play at a higher level than league two". Logic would suggest that being relegated to league two means that you are not good enough to play at a higher level. NONE of the players that have recently left deserve anything more than league two (Francis might be the only exception, but probably not).

What a stupid comment that is

No club wants to buy them ?

Hypothetical conversation between Barrett/Macca/Frances/Mildenhall and their respective agents:

Player: Found a club to buy me yet ?

Agent: Yes, there are a couple of clubs interested but let's hold fire for a bit. If you give notice for non-payment, we can do the deal on a free and that way I'll be able to negotiate a bit of a signing on fee for you (and me!) out of the money they'd save on the fee.

Perhaps no one wants to buy them after we were relegated without a whimper last season?

This.

I didn't see clubs banging the door down to sign these players. We needed these players off the wage bill and quickly. We had to terminate their contracts.

The only thing that surprises me is that everyone is so surprised our players have gone !

When Barnet didn't pay their players a few years back now don't forget that it was our very own Barry Fry that promptly went back to Underhill + basically raped the club for any player that he thought he could buy , then sell for cash + get his grubby little hands on 10%-20% profits for his own back pocket. We were generally pretty happy then to get quality players for freebie like Jonathan Hunt , along with Bodley , Payne , Harding , Bull + probably a few others i've long since forgotten !!!!

I warned the most wonderful Ron Martin of exactly this happening ..... funnily enough he chose to ignore me + carried on playing Football Club monopoly

What goes around comes around .... it's just such a massive shame that we are so deep in the brown smelly stuff now that i really genuinely don't see a way out

I think we all agree that football is in a right old mess + there has to be a stop to the ridiculous salaries the players + their agents demand .... so this process has to happen ( to every club ) , but us Shrimpers fans need to be realistic that we are gonna face a good few years yet of cut backs + witness many a bad game ...... but those of us old enough to remember the days of Bobby moore , peter morris + dick bate know that stay loyal + get behind the club + things will get so much better ( eventually !! )

Keep the faith

This.

I didn't see clubs banging the door down to sign these players. We needed these players off the wage bill and quickly. We had to terminate their contracts.

Why would they pay when the people running the clubs that have taken them are far more astute than RM, they watched, waited and did a great deal for their clubs. It didn't take einstein to work out that many of our players would be falling out with the club and in some cases possibly they were even tapped up before the end of the season and "advised" to walk.

The only thing that surprises me is that everyone is so surprised our players have gone !

When Barnet didn't pay their players a few years back now don't forget that it was our very own Barry Fry that promptly went back to Underhill + basically raped the club for any player that he thought he could buy , then sell for cash + get his grubby little hands on 10%-20% profits for his own back pocket. We were generally pretty happy then to get quality players for freebie like Jonathan Hunt , along with Bodley , Payne , Harding , Bull + probably a few others i've long since forgotten !!!!

I warned the most wonderful Ron Martin of exactly this happening ..... funnily enough he chose to ignore me + carried on playing Football Club monopoly

What goes around comes around .... it's just such a massive shame that we are so deep in the brown smelly stuff now that i really genuinely don't see a way out

I think we all agree that football is in a right old mess + there has to be a stop to the ridiculous salaries the players + their agents demand .... so this process has to happen ( to every club ) , but us Shrimpers fans need to be realistic that we are gonna face a good few years yet of cut backs + witness many a bad game ...... but those of us old enough to remember the days of Bobby moore , peter morris + dick bate know that stay loyal + get behind the club + things will get so much better ( eventually !! )

Keep the faith

Good post.

FWIW we didn't sign Bull - although we tried.

IIRC we signed Hunt, Payne, Bodley and maybe Howell that way. Harding was on loan from Notts County. Grids was on a free from Barnsley.

Howell's exit was more controversial than his signing!

Back