• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
It’s that time. There’s been a lot of talk about a clear out under CP and with rumours about Wright and Wordsworth it’s clear that he’s going to be ruthless.

Here’s my take, though it’s a bit of a mix of what I predict CP might do and what I would do, though of course finances, etc., come into play with every deal and could have a big influence that we don’t know anything about.

The following have their contract expire this summer:

Smith - KEEP - Decent back-up, once fit send him out on loan and see how he does. Cheap and clearly has potential, even if this injury has stalled his career a bit.

Oxley - KEEP - Give him what he wants.

White - KEEP - Great player to have in the squad, versatile and unlikely to cost as much as some of those who have contributed much less.

Turner - KEEP - Been crucial to our defence improving since CP came in, one more year with him leading the back line.

Wright - RELEASE - He’s gone. No massive loss but equally wouldn’t have been upset if he’d stayed.

Wordsworth - RELEASE - He’s gone, which is a shame as when fit and on form he’s exactly the kind of player we need to get into the play-offs. Unfortunately those two didn’t coincide often enough to justify the wages. He’ll do well at a decent club at this level next season.

McGlashan - RELEASE - Barely featured so assume he’s gone. CP didn’t fancy him but he was decent from the bench. The kind of player for a play-off push? Probably not.

Timlin - UNDECIDED - I’d like to keep him around as I think he adds a lot. Versatile, gives his all and breaks up play well. That said, someone who hasn’t been a big fan of his for the past 8 years may not have the same loyalty and I’m not sure he’s at his best anymore.

Cox - KEEP - Must keep, more quality than anyone else in the squad has in their little toe (other than maybe Kightly, only he has far less injury issues). May not be the long-term solution but think he’s vital to building a good spine.

Fortune - RELEASE - Shame if he goes as he’s the model professional and unbelievable how well he’s done this season at his age. But how’s much longer does he have left? And can we afford to keep someone who struggles to have an impact beyond 60/70 minutes?

Ladapo - RELEASE - Most disappointing signing we’ve made for quite a while (at least Kiernan might still come good, little to no hope with this one).

Others I might not be shocked to see depart despite being under contract:

Hendrie - Could have a future but CP was quick to ship him out and he’s hardly set the world alight at Motherwell.

Ferdinand - Can he/does he want to do another season? Injuries have taken their toll this season but towards the end he was looking more like the player of old.

Robinson - Superb the last few weeks but is that because we’ve played to his strengths or he’s upped his game knowing he may not have a future here if he doesn’t? If offers come in it could be a tough call.

And the loanees:

Mantom - I haven’t seen anything particularly impressive. An upgrade on Wright and Timlin possibly and he’s certainly a tidy player, but not convinced he’s done enough to justify signing him, especially given his injury record.

Harrison - No thanks, good technical ability but not yet ready for this level I don’t think.

From the away games I’ve been to mantom had been impressive and I’d definitely try to keep him. The perfect partner for Dru

From the away games I’ve been to mantom had been impressive and I’d definitely try to keep him. The perfect partner for Dru

Yes, that's interesting, the Mantom last week at Bradford was definitely the best I've seen and I understand he was the same at Oldham.

Would agree with much of what Manor says. Wordsworth can actually have a pre-season without an operation and will be able to start at a new club with intent and purpose, it's not been that way for any of the pre-seasons he's had here. Harrison looked better yesterday when he came on than in almost all his other appearances put together. I'd be delighted to keep Ted but he has to be playing next season, and if that means a loan, then send him out on loan.

Turner and Ferdinand, not sure we need to keep both of them so may well be a decision based on whether Anton wants to carry on or not.

Cox, Oxley and White are the easiest "keeps" in the world, and getting all three signed up must be a priority.

I would keep Fortune and Timlin too.

As for Manto ...... another injury makes me wonder how many games a season would he play?

And perhaps Smith will come back strong ...... but I'm not sure he has the presence that is needed for a goalie.

Fortune is one we need to keep. I know he is getting on but he's super fit and maybe he only has 70 mins in him but he gives us a facet that creates so much for other players. Hold up play, movement off the ball and he does chip in with some goals.

I would keep Fortune and Timlin too.

As for Manto ...... another injury makes me wonder how many games a season would he play?

And perhaps Smith will come back strong ...... but I'm not sure he has the presence that is needed for a goalie.

Seems a bit harsh on Mantom. He was on the wrong end of a pretty awful tackle yesterday !
I like what I've seen so far.

Timlin. Wordsworth, Wright, mcglashan , all , in my mind , can be let go.
Personally I would not be too concerned if the bulk of the starting 11 started the first game of next season.
With Turner Kiernan and Coker returning from injury , as long as some of the youngsters continue to improve we can cut the wage bill and still compete.
Decent enough cover in defence. CM a bit lacking unless Gard and Klass step up.
Same up top too decent cover Norm and Emile are up to it.
Issue for me is in goal when we can’t match what Millwall are offering OX.

If we do not invest over the summer the biggest concern for me is that it probably indicates a another delay on the stadium...

With Turner Kiernan and Coker returning from injury , as long as some of the youngsters continue to improve we can cut the wage bill and still compete.

Kiernan not even mentioned above and not there yesterday. Biggest waste of a wage ever!

Oxley is off to Millwall. Signed, sealed and delivered...and any other Stevie Wonder tune that takes your fancy.

Had a chat with AB yesterday, he was watching alongside Neil Harris. As we were talking about Millwall and their plans for next season I did say I hear your after a keeper. He said they already had 3 so not really......mmmmm

Wordsworth and Wright weren't in the stand so I guess they have already gone.

Had a chat with AB yesterday, he was watching alongside Neil Harris. As we were talking about Millwall and their plans for next season I did say I hear your after a keeper. He said they already had 3 so not really......mmmmm

Wordsworth and Wright weren't in the stand so I guess they have already gone.

I think Wright had already properly gone, I'm told Woody was there early yesterday collecting bits and pieces. Still think it was poor to treat them like that and deny them that chance for a goodbye to fans. MCGlashan has obviously been told he's off, but he was given the opportunity to have his family on the pitch with him at the end despite not playing.

I think Wright had already properly gone, I'm told Woody was there early yesterday collecting bits and pieces. Still think it was poor to treat them like that and deny them that chance for a goodbye to fans. MCGlashan has obviously been told he's off, but he was given the opportunity to have his family on the pitch with him at the end despite not playing.
I imagine that they would have all been told that their contracts are not being renewed at the end of June and as such would not be in Saturdays squad. How they chose to react , ie come to the game, get in early and not stay etc etc, is down to the individual .

I imagine that they would have all been told that their contracts are not being renewed at the end of June and as such would not be in Saturdays squad. How they chose to react i.e. come to the game, get in early and not stay etc etc, is down to the individual.

Interesting comment - I hadn't thought of it in those terms. As the club is their employer I naturally thought it was down to the club to say "this is part of your employment" but perhaps you are right.

To be fair, do we know they were denied that? Or could it just be that they were told they won't be getting new contracts so Wright and Wordsworth didn't want to hang around, whilst McGlashan did to say goodbye?

To be fair, do we know they were denied that? Or could it just be that they were told they won't be getting new contracts so Wright and Wordsworth didn't want to hang around, whilst McGlashan did to say goodbye?

That’s how I’d have seen it. Actually, from the 3 of them Glash is the one treated worst as the other two had game time under SCP to prove their worth.

Interesting comment - I hadn't thought of it in those terms. As the club is their employer I naturally thought it was down to the club to say "this is part of your employment" but perhaps you are right.
I am sure the club can tell a player to attend a game...but telling them to stay away is tantamount to suspension and there is no need to do that in these cases.

I think ferdinand has a year left on his contract.

He has been poor but has had a lot of personal issues.

That said he always looks shot to bits as if his legs are gone.

Back