• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whose contract would you renew?

• John White

Votes: 73 33.0%
  • Adam Thompson

Votes: 207 93.7%
  • Anton Ferdinand

Votes: 214 96.8%
  • Jakub Sokolik

Votes: 38 17.2%
  • Dan Matsuzaka

Votes: 103 46.6%
  • Adam Barrett

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Anthony Wordsworth

Votes: 214 96.8%
  • Will Atkinson

Votes: 207 93.7%
  • Luke O'Neill

Votes: 111 50.2%
  • Ryan Leonard (option to extend)

Votes: 212 95.9%
  • Michael Timlin (option to extend)

Votes: 194 87.8%
  • David Mooney

Votes: 31 14.0%
  • Jason Williams

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
As usual at our club and at most FL clubs we're set to see quite a few of our key players see their contracts expire if they aren't offered a new deal. We've lost Barry Corr, Dan Bentley and Jack Payne through this way in the past two years and whilst some were always going to leave you'd think if we had acted sooner then the exits of Corr and Payne could have been avoided, though it's doubtful we'll learn from that.

Have left out some of the youngsters e.g. Jordan Williams, Batlokwa, Cotton, Bedford as don't think many on here would be able to offer much of an opinion.

We've got options for another year in Ryan Leonard and Michael Timlin's deals and would like to see both of those activated, though there's less of a rush with Timlin I would say.

In defence, Adam Thompson, Adam Barrett, Anton Ferdinand, John White and Dan Matsuzaka in the summer and Jakub Sokolik should be after the Charlton game. For me, Thompson and Ferdinand have to get tied down ASAP, Anton probably for a year but would love to see Thompson sign for 2 or 3 years. White is good cover and little more, could depend on who is available in the summer, Sokolik is similar but expect him to go. Matsuzaka seems a prospect so could be worth another year. Next to no doubt that Adam Barrett will be gone.

In midfield, Luke O'Neill, Anthony Wordsworth, Will Atkinson. For me Woody has to get signed up now, seem to be a few clubs interested and he's been quality this season. Atkinson is playing the best he's done since he's been here and deserves one for me, and O'Neill may have to prove himself by the summer to earn a new one.

Up front, David Mooney and Jason Williams in the summer and Marc-Antoine Fortune on 23rd January. Expect Fortune will get an extension soon and if he keeps playing like at the weekend then wouldn't be surprised to see it be until the end of next season, but Williams has surely had his last chance now and would think Money would be lucky to get a new deal.

So who would you give a new deal to?

Interesting on the list is the potential to extend Timlin.

I have been a fan of Tims for a number of years. I have however queried if Brown is though because of some strange substitutions at times and then having Tims on the bench when (to me) a poorer midfield has instead taken to the pitch.

Some genius on the interweb will come up with the figures but how many games has Tims played over the last season and this to date? Injuries of course have played their part but would Tims get into the current midfield? Great cover option I would have thought.

And then Tims has shown recently that he can play at left back. That's good - especially with the loan system having been slimmed down at long last.

Naturally, a thread like this, is about our individual wish list. The unknown variables involved make it difficult to say with any certainty who should and who should not be retained further. We do not know the definitive details of the contracts they are currently on or the kind of demands they will make to extend their deal. We do not know the wage budget for next year or even the league we will be in. Clauses can be added with regard league status but clauses have to be accepted.

There will be a myriad of reasons why a player may not accept a deal or the club will not meet a players demands. We do not have a single player that can be retained under the heading of 'at any cost.'

If Wordsworth were to move on, many zoners, would gnash their teeth and proclaim that Ron is a numbnuts. The truth would probably be we could not meet the pay of his new club or their aspiration/potential. Player loyalty is often questioned but they also have to put themselves and their family first. Its a short enough career and they have to 'make hay whilst the sun shines.'

All in all though I have been satisfied, season on season, that RM has done as much as he can to support the managers squad aims and often for a club in our position he has surprised me by digging deep and capturing a number of good quality players that are unlikely to be the cheapest in the league.

If the club continues to pay the wages and provide a good squad then I am happy with whomever they retain or release. They know what the variables are and are best placed to apportion the budget accordingly.

He's on about the other JW, I think.
Indeed. I voted for White, Thompson, Ferdinand, Atkinson, Leonard and Wordsworth. Of the others, some have been very good servants (Barrett and Timlin) and the others have probably not had the opportunity. For John White, the key is his flexibility in being able to cover right the way across the back line (and not his smile or any other "features" - he doesn't have Darryl's bum, for example!). Atkinson is proving more important this season and the other four are all, I would have thought, key to our success.

I'd actually keep Mooney, easily the worst of the four strikers we have but Brown isn't the best at signing forwards, which is why we were playing one up front earlier in the season until we got Fortune. Unless we're sure Brown will sign a good replacement I'd rather have Mooney here as backup than be forced into playing 1 up front if injuries crop up. Whilst he started the season poorly (as did most of the squad) he started to find some form before his injury, if he can keep that up he's probably good enough for a fourth choice striker given our budget.

We need some powerful African strikers and solid ball playing Eastern European centre halfs in my opinion.

John White has to be let go along with Jason Williams he's had enough time to prove himself. Barrett will no doubt retire, looks like Sokolik is off in Jan and as for the rest sign them all up.

Contract offers for 2017/18

This may well be too early in the season for this, (after all we are likely to be playing the likes of Hull, sunderland and swansea when we win the playoffs), but who would you like to see offered a new deal to keep them at the club next season?

as far as forwards go I think we look in decent shape with Ranger, Cox and Fortune,(can this please not turn into another thread on MAF's deal, its getting boring now), I don't think mooney will get an offer as despite all his effort the new arrivals are a step above. Williams I think might get another year if he does well on loan if not then if not I don't think we'll be missing an awful lot.

at the back i think it's time for AB to be put out to pasture, there may be a coaching option if and only if he can do the job well. as for Innis ( I know he's on loan) he could be a decent option depending on who else is available but I don't think he will be first choice for a while

Absolutely 2 must be , 2 players that can play in both league 1 and Championship, Lenny and Wordy , these are vital players to get signed up for as long as possible ! Lenny for me is edging towards legend status, my own opinion granted, but he's the first name I look for on the team sheet !

Have to agree there. Lenny could could well play championship level and we need to make sure its in a Southend shirt. Him and Wordy have to be our best CM pairing for some time!

Lenny has a year option, I would hope that the option will be taken up and a new and much improved option offered start of next season. Woody is a must, Thompson another. I think we have a thread along these lines already running with a poll on, don't we?

Back