• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

chapperzUK

Phil Brown said in the summer that contract negotiations for players should have started "half way through the season", so with a fair few contracts up at the end of this season hopefully we can get them sorted soon. Who would you keep and who would you let go.

Contracts running out in 2014:

Paul Smith - Leave Will be a back up from now on and I'd rather have Chambers or Ted Smith as back up.

Luke Chambers - Keep Not going great for him this season and think he should go out on loan at Conference level until the end of the season.

Mark Phillips - Unsure Injury prone and not getting any younger, depends who we can get in but he may only be a back up next season. Good professional to have around though.

Ryan Auger - Keep Give him a year contract with an option for a second year.

Julian Bennett - Leave Pointless signing and was very predictably injured.

Anthony Straker - Keep Seems to have come on leaps and bounds this season, still needs to sort out his consistency and not be afraid to run at defenders.

Michael Timlin (option for 2015) - Activate option

Kevan Hurst - Keep Top goalscorer and top assister says it all.

Ryan Leonard - Keep Give a long contract as he has a lot of potential.

Marc Laird - Keep Very key part of the midfield.

Jack Payne - Keep Another with huge amounts of potential and is being cleverly eased into the team.

Freddy Eastwood - Keep Got to keep him and he showed earlier in the season what he can do.

Seedy Njie - Keep Would like to see him go out on loan for a few months just to give him some game time and see what he can do.

Craig Reid (option for 2015) - Leave Not sure what he brings to the team and another waste of a squad place.

I can't argue with any of that. Exception perhaps is Smith depending on the ability and development of Chambers. And of course there are the rumours that Liverpool, Swansea and Arsenal are after Bentley and Tottingham are looking at Strakes of course.

Key is the budget that Brown has to operate with ......... and extending too many contracts may leave little room for change come the end of the season. And we might want to change because the performance has not been good for the 2nd half of the season or, being more positive, because we are playing in a different league next season.

Paul Smith - Leave

Luke Chambers - Keep - competition for Bentley

Mark Phillips - Let go - Prosser playing well and with the other lads can't see him getting back in right now

Ryan Auger - Keep and Loan him out

Julian Bennett - If he can prove fitness pre season - Keep

Anthony Straker - Not his biggest fan but if can become more consistent then yes Keep

Michael Timlin (option for 2015) - Keep

Kevan Hurst - Keep

Ryan Leonard - Keep

Marc Laird - Keep

Jack Payne - Keep

Freddy Eastwood - Keep

Seedy Njie - Loan him out

Craig Reid (option for 2015) - Let him go

I saw that comment from Brown as a little unnecessary and expect it to come back to bite him on the arse. When you are living a hand to mouth existence like we are and you don't know what your budget is from month to month, let alone in six months time, your ability to negotiate contracts in advance is more than a little hampered.

I would keep Bennett, yes he was injured in his first game which was unlucky seeing as the ball had gone out of play, but he is a class act and better than L2.. Can see him being a key figure towards the end of the season and our final push

Spot on Chapperz. Very interesting post and reminder of just how many players are coming up for contract renewal. I know its more common these days( short contracts) but having 14 out of contract in the not too distant future, I would hope gets urgent attention, especially Hurst, Leonard . Timlin and Laird.

Last season we had similar issues but also had Mr Sturrock's contract running down; which may have impacted on his(our) getting players resigned such as Tomlin. I would look to keep all we have except Craig Read and with players we have injury worries about negotiate contracts which include fitness bonuses/games deals etc. Bennett is likely to start playing reserve games in early 2014 and can be judged later on as to how he does. Also not many clubs will be after older/injury prone lads & when we get promoted the situation may be very different. The bottom line is, as in the past been the finances & without that changing we are in poor negotiating position and rely on luck, ambition and unity.

I would keep Bennett, yes he was injured in his first game which was unlucky seeing as the ball had gone out of play, but he is a class act and better than L2.. Can see him being a key figure towards the end of the season and our final push

He needs to show he can actually play a part.

Unfortunate to get injured but he has a poor injury record so I dont have any confidence he will ever play regularly. Too few places and too little wages available to carry players like that.

He needs to show he can actually play a part.

Unfortunate to get injured but he has a poor injury record so I dont have any confidence he will ever play regularly. Too few places and too little wages available to carry players like that.

Agree ... but there are players that come back from long lay-offs and do well ......... one Mr B Corr for example. :smile:

Agree ... but there are players that come back from long lay-offs and do well ......... one Mr B Corr for example. :smile:

Very true, but he had at least done something before getting injured. Bennett is totally unproven and even when he comes back has it to prove.

Hopefully with regards to Bennett he can get back playing in the new year and prove himself.Maybe he could be a real asset to us

Agreed, I would use the phrase a class act too and he is very experience. If he gets fit for the run in (March Onwards) he could be a valuable player with his freshness, especially when you consider the embargo and fact that we have such a small squad. In turn, some decent performances may warrant new contract talks come summertime, lets hope so!!!

Cant seem him being fresh after 5 or 6 months out. Wont be fatigued but also will take some time to get back into the swing of it.

It would however be a big boost to get another defender back in the squad and hopefully his experience will be useful, although I've never actually seen him play.

Phil Brown said in the summer that contract negotiations for players should have started "half way through the season", so with a fair few contracts up at the end of this season hopefully we can get them sorted soon. Who would you keep and who would you let go.

Contracts running out in 2014:

Paul Smith - Leave Will be a back up from now on and I'd rather have Chambers or Ted Smith as back up.

Luke Chambers - Keep Not going great for him this season and think he should go out on loan at Conference level until the end of the season.

Mark Phillips - Unsure Injury prone and not getting any younger, depends who we can get in but he may only be a back up next season. Good professional to have around though.

Ryan Auger - Keep Give him a year contract with an option for a second year.

Julian Bennett - Leave Pointless signing and was very predictably injured.

Anthony Straker - Keep Seems to have come on leaps and bounds this season, still needs to sort out his consistency and not be afraid to run at defenders.

Michael Timlin (option for 2015) - Activate option

Kevan Hurst - Keep Top goalscorer and top assister says it all.

Ryan Leonard - Keep Give a long contract as he has a lot of potential.

Marc Laird - Keep Very key part of the midfield.

Jack Payne - Keep Another with huge amounts of potential and is being cleverly eased into the team.

Freddy Eastwood - Keep Got to keep him and he showed earlier in the season what he can do.

Seedy Njie - Keep Would like to see him go out on loan for a few months just to give him some game time and see what he can do.

Craig Reid (option for 2015) - Leave Not sure what he brings to the team and another waste of a squad place.

I cannot disagree with any of this apart from MP who I would keep
UTB

Back