• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Convicts v Saffers

The 1st Test at Perh has passed almost unnoticed, the Seth Effrikans chasing down 414 to win the match, a great win for the Saffers as a year or so ago they would have bottled this big time. Although I don't like Graeme Smith his innings at Perth and the one to win at Headingley last summer puts him in the top 5 of current test batsmen.

I have an idea the writing may well be on the wall for the convicts now, and the knives may be out in the Aussie press for piggy eyes Ponting soon. Their bowling looks distinctly second rate and only Mitchell Johnson looks to be true test class. I'm not ruling out Brett Lee but he looks a shadow of his former self.

It is going to be interesting to see what changes the Aussies will make for the Boxing Day test in Melbourne.

I thought they had utterly blown it after the first innings but fair play to them for holding it together in the fourth innnings.

Just as I thought England's bowlers needed to look at themselves after India's second innings score in the 1st test, the Aussies need to do the same. Inidividual performances cast to one side, how did this happen to an Australian team? Could they really fall to third in the rankings?

Heard the result watching England this morning, thats pretty good going chasing that down in the Aussie's own backyard!

That and India's run chase against us last week are both in the top 5 of all-time, quite amazing really!

Wickets in world cricket are certainly getting better, or at least lasting into the fifth day - 11 of the top 25 run chases in Test history have been made in the past decade. There could have been another this morning as well: whilst waiting for the fog to lift in Mohali, I watched New Zealand have a go at chasing down 312 in 60 overs to beat the West Indies. They may have got there as well, being 203-4 when Brendan McCullum, who had been going well with the big-hitting Jesse Ryder, was controversially given out after unsuccessfully referring Rudi Koetzen's caught-behind decision to the TV umpire. There was no conclusive evidence that he had nicked the ball, but Englishman Mark Benson was forced to advise Koetzen that he could not overrule his decision on the field due to a lack of contradictory evidence, despite later replays with Snicko indicating that he had not touched the ball. England will test the review system in the Windies next year.

There is little doubt that South Africa have developed a backbone under Graeme Smith's leadership. They chased down 283 at Edgbaston thanks to a century from the skipper in August having been 93-4, and it was his heroic 108 that underpinned the success at the WACA.

I believe that teams often reflect their captain's character (it remains to be seen whether Kevin Pietersen's flamboyance becomes part of England's outlook), and Smith is a tough cookie. That is not to undermine the roles of AB de Villiers, Jacques Kallis and JP Duminy on debut.

It's too early to tell if this is the beginning of the end of the Australian period of dominance, but Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and Adam Gilchrist are just three big voids that it is impossible to fill. Mitchell Johnson (who signed for Essex a few years back, only to be denied permission to play by the Australian Cricket Board) and Brett Lee, when he returns to the sharpness that marked 2007/8, are top-notch bowlers, but there is an English-like dearth of spinners and no back-up in the pace department. Batting-wise things appear OK, although question marks persevere over Matthew Hayden at the top of the order. The question is whether they can sustain another hit to their experienced quota.

The next two Tests will be thrilling to watch, as well as the return three-Test series in February and March as we lead up to the Ashes.

2nd Test update another great fightback by South Africa from 251/8 to 459 all out with JP Duminy scoring 166 in his 2nd Test. To be fair to the convicts Brett Lee was injured and didn't bowl on day 3.

It looks likely this match will be drawn, and the Aussies will go to the Sydney New Year match looking to square the series.

Last edited:
What an astonishing turnaround. Apart from the fact that he's a Saffer, there's a lot to like about that JP Duminy, looks a cracking player. Fair play to Steyn as well - one or two streaky shots in there as you'd expect from a No.10, but some of his straight drives were excellent.

I bloody love Test cricket.

What an astonishing turnaround. Apart from the fact that he's a Saffer, there's a lot to like about that JP Duminy, looks a cracking player. Fair play to Steyn as well - one or two streaky shots in there as you'd expect from a No.10, but some of his straight drives were excellent.

I bloody love Test cricket.

I stayed up to watch the first two sessions. Was only intenting to see how many Saffers would end up behind but it was truly compelling. Absolute master class from Duminy, but how flat are the Ozzies. It really was like they were just waiting for a batter to slip up rather than being in their faces trying to get them out.

They really do have a lot of issues to deal with that the rest of the world have had to for the last 15 years. A bowler light, a batsmen light, no world class spinner...isnt it fantastic!!

I stayed up to watch the first two sessions. Was only intenting to see how many Saffers would end up behind but it was truly compelling. Absolute master class from Duminy, but how flat are the Ozzies. It really was like they were just waiting for a batter to slip up rather than being in their faces trying to get them out.

They really do have a lot of issues to deal with that the rest of the world have had to for the last 15 years. A bowler light, a batsmen light, no world class spinner...isnt it fantastic!!

Just watched the highlights on Sky and and anyone who says test cricket is finished is talking crap. Maybe it's just me, but in the last 5 years we have seen some astounding test matches and series.

Just watched the highlights on Sky and and anyone who says test cricket is finished is talking crap. Maybe it's just me, but in the last 5 years we have seen some astounding test matches and series.

Agree with you there this current series from what I have seen has been enthralling, I would imagine the return series in South Africa will be equally as riveting. If the convicts lose this current series the knives will be out for Ponting, and I wouldn't mind taking a bet that Michael Clarke will be their Captain come the Ashes series in the summer.

Agree with you there this current series from what I have seen has been enthralling, I would imagine the return series in South Africa will be equally as riveting. If the convicts lose this current series the knives will be out for Ponting, and I wouldn't mind taking a bet that Michael Clarke will be their Captain come the Ashes series in the summer.

It has been an excellent series so far. Similar to the 2005 ashes in that there have been wickets at regular intervals, spirited stands and runs for hard work. Good even pitches rather than flat run fests. I think test on the subcontinent shoud be banned ;)

Im not sure South Africa are that exceptional, but Ive never seen such a poor show from Australia over a long run of matches. They were outclassed in India, if SouthAfrica can avoid defeat here and win at home, they will be going into the ashes on the back of a really bad run. Ponting looked a forlorn figue for much of play.

Loved the 'dropped' catch by Hussey....not sure if you miss it completely it counts as a drop. I know it was right in the sun, but was good to see an Ozzie look like a tit!

It has been an excellent series so far. Similar to the 2005 ashes in that there have been wickets at regular intervals, spirited stands and runs for hard work. Good even pitches rather than flat run fests. I think test on the subcontinent shoud be banned ;)

Im not sure South Africa are that exceptional, but Ive never seen such a poor show from Australia over a long run of matches. They were outclassed in India, if SouthAfrica can avoid defeat here and win at home, they will be going into the ashes on the back of a really bad run. Ponting looked a forlorn figue for much of play.

Loved the 'dropped' catch by Hussey....not sure if you miss it completely it counts as a drop. I know it was right in the sun, but was good to see an Ozzie look like a tit!

:D
I agree that South Africa aren't exceptional, as with most they lack a top class spinner. They have a decent if one dimensional attack, but their batting is very good, it will be hard for Ashwell Prince to displace Duminy. Smith is a tough captain and the South African selectors have done well to sticky by him after some series losses.

The miss by Mr Cricket Hussey was hilarious, and Hauritz missed a really easy caught & bowled. If the Aussies are to win this they need to score quickly & heavily tomorrow, but if they are going to be without Brett Lee, they will settle for a draw in Melbourne and will go for the victory in Sydney.

Hayden just gone...kinda hope he gets some runs as dont think he will be much of a threat this summer. He will now be under a lot of pressure to quit and I feel any replacement (Jacques most likely?), whilst not fit to lace Hayden's boots of 5 years will be better than a past it Hayden.

Is going to be a struggle for Australia to get into a winning position here. They are going to have to bat for over a day to get a satisfactory declaration total. Probably their only chance is to be bowled out and skittle South Africa cheaply. However Lee is unlikely to bowl, Symonds cant (why on earth not play WAtson then) and so their resources look very limited.

And now Katich has gone. Good shot selection mate! To be fair he did well to reach it! Australia still behind with 2 wickets down. Glad I decided to watch the first session!

Make that 3 wickets down, although Hussey never got anything on it other than his helmet and the convicts still haven't reached parity. Funny to think the Saffers were 190ish-7 at one point.

Make that 3 wickets down, although Hussey never got anything on it other than his helmet and the convicts still haven't reached parity. Funny to think the Saffers were 190ish-7 at one point.

Shocking decision. Great wasnt it! Loved the look on his and Pontings face.

Australia 86-3 at lunch, leading by 21. A lot will depend on the afternoon session coming up, with Ponting and Clarke at the crease, but Australia wouldn't be clear of a last-day run-chase if they were dismissed by mid-morning tomorrow.

There have been a lot of parallels between Australia and the way that England played prior to Duncan Fletcher in this series - it's easy to say with hindsight, but the decision to bowl Hauritz and Hussey ahead of the new ball on day three let Duminy get in, and without Lee - who despite a lack of form remains the Aussies' spearhead - the attack lacked any bite against the South African tail. Chuck in some comical fielding, and the world's best side of the past 10-15 years are looking very ordinary.

South Africa go into Day 5 30/0 needing another 153 to take a winning 2-0 lead in the series. So much for my prediction of a draw. :thumbdown: A little thought for Ponting getting out for 99 and missing his second ton of the match.

The Aussies look in complete disarray at the moment, the loss of McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist, Langer etc is finally hitting home. Hayden will be the next to go either dropped or retired.

Well played South Africa, I think this will be (if it happens) their first ever series win in Australia in 100 years of trying.

Apparently showers are forecast in the morning, with a possibility of thunderstorms later in the day, so you can't discount the draw completely, but given over half a day's play, this match is there for South Africa's taking.

As soon as the Ponting-Clarke partnership was broken, Australia pretty much subsided meekly. Ponting deserved his second century of the match (had he got there, he would've become the first batsman to bag two tons in a match on four occasions), but Smith's field placing, putting himself in at short extra cover, was spot on. He seemed to have the midas touch, with Hayden driving straight to Duminy at a similar position. The South African had been put there specifically for that ball after Hayden had driven Steyn down the ground for four.

Brett Lee showed that there is some fight left in Australia with an opening spell that included bowling Neil McKenzie with a no-ball (shades of Michael Vaughan's century at Old Trafford in the last home Ashes series), and we haven't seen anything of Mitchell Johnson yet, but if Smith stays firm on day five, South Africa should be home and hosed.

Canveyshrimper, you're spot on - SA have never won a Test series in Australia, having won twice in SA in 1966/7 and 1969/70. Indeed, SA won that 1969/70 series 4-0, a complete whitewash for the Aussies, and would more than likely have won on their proposed 1971/2 tour, which was cancelled due to the sporting boycott of Apartheid SA. Australia haven't lost successive Tests at home since 1992/3 against the West Indies, which was also the last time they lost a home series.

Last edited:
As soon as the Ponting-Clarke partnership was broken, Australia pretty much subsided meekly. Ponting deserved his second century of the match (had he got there, he would've become the first batsman to bag two tons in a match on four occasions), but Smith's field placing, putting himself in at short extra cover, was spot on.

QUOTE]

Not sure Mackenzie would be so chuffed at the field placings....anyone see the full bloodied cover drive from Ponting that he stopped from all of a yard away...ouch!

They Aussie commentators were talking last night about Pontings captaincy being in jeopardy if the lose this and the next series. The concern is that its not they are getting beat, but they are getting comfortably beaten. If they hadnt squeezed in the Kiwis they would be looking at 6 tests without a win.

What they were saying though was that in Australia they dont tend to continue to play the captain after he steps down. We have done it with Atherton, Steward, Hussein but they (i think it was Warne and Taylor behind the mike at the time) were saying they couldnt see Ponting continue playing if he was stripped of the captaincy. That would be cracking for England as he is still probably the best batsman in the world at the moment.

Back