• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In a very packed La Bombonera, when you're clearly not a local, discretion can be the better part of valour. Never got the opportunity to chat about the geo-political situation in the South Atlantic, nor was I in any rush to!

Ha! I went there with our daughter.She was in a hurry to leave at the final whistle (a 1-1 draw with San Lorenzo,IIRC) and was negociating a ride with a taxi driver outside while a couple of ladies of the night approached me for business.

Did do a couple of cultural things associated with the war.Including, visiting the former Parque de los Ingles, now named La Parque de Las Malvinas.

Also visited the detention centre (very near River Plate's ground,where I also saw a match),where lefties were detained.Apparently, they could hear the crowd noise on World Cup match days from their cells.

There's also a new(ish) historical museum of the conflict in a park in the North of the city,near the spot where leftists were thrown into the river from helicopters,which is well worth a visit.

I'm disappointing it's being held in the US, which takes some of the feel of it away for me. One of the things I always enjoyed about the Copa is the stadia were delightfully shabby, the whole organisation felt slightly shambolic and the unique flavour of South America pervaded throughout everything.

It also means there's very little chance of watching many of the games. I'm an Ecuador fan (don't ask, it's a long story) and our group games KO at 3am, 3am and 12.30am UK time.

I'd love to go to a tournament one day, even though South America frightens me a bit.
Completely agree, the atmosphere has been awful in comparison and attendances have been very low compared to last year's tournament in Chile.

Kick off times are always an issue, but this year a lot of the games involving the bigger sides seem to have fallen in midweek or been the later kick off at the weekend. Although, that said, my side Argentina (another long story) play Venezuela at 1am Spanish time tonight so may be able to last the 90 minutes as it's a Saturday night.

Back