• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

CORBETT

Hmmm, will sign tomorrow. Wasn't Rawle going to 'sign shortly'?

Let's hope the others follow him and sign. We have the services of Corbett next year (or so we hope), bring on the rest who can sign 1 or 2 year deals!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrB @ May 24 2004,17:07)]Hmmm, will sign tomorrow.  Wasn't Rawle going to 'sign shortly'?
Please don't tempt it!
sad.gif

i feel that it will encourage others. and get flavs warren etc to sign.

And they can be part of the something big thats coming up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleet boy @ May 24 2004,17:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrB @ May 24 2004,17:07)]Hmmm, will sign tomorrow.  Wasn't Rawle going to 'sign shortly'?
Please don't tempt it!  
sad.gif
Cant seen it happening, rawle never really came out on the officail site and said his had no other offers,and that if he had he'd turn them down as corbett has done.

Also i feel he has something to prove here after his injuries.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pato the Blue @ May 24 2004,17:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleet boy @ May 24 2004,17:17)]
[b said:
Please don't tempt it!  
sad.gif
Cant seen it happening, rawle never really came out on the officail site and said his had no other offers,and that if he had he'd turn them down as corbett has done.

Also i feel he has something to prove here after his injuries.
Good Point!!

I would be gobsmacked, after the tenor of his site interview, if Corbett didn't sign a deal tomorrow.

I also think it's fabulous news. An injury-free Corbett can/will be a huge asset to our club.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 24 2004,19:00)]I would be gobsmacked, after the tenor of his site interview, if Corbett didn't sign a deal tomorrow.

I also think it's fabulous news.  An injury-free Corbett can/will be a huge asset to our club.

Matt
Agreed. Who else do you think will, and wont sign?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 24 2004,19:00)]I would be gobsmacked, after the tenor of his site interview, if Corbett didn't sign a deal tomorrow.

I also think it's fabulous news.  An injury-free Corbett can/will be a huge asset to our club.

Matt
Oh Man Corbett is a couple divisions below himself here, I swear his touch is just sublime. GET FIT CORBETT!

A fully fit Corbett can play well above this division, however can he get fully fit before he gets injured again?? Lets hope so!

I hope the club have him on a money per games clause!

Also remember that the Excellent new author of the official site is actually paid by the club so some artistic license may (or may not) be used in some articles/quotes.

unclesam.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleet boy @ May 24 2004,19:23)]Who else do you think will, and wont sign?  
rock.gif
Who, me? How do I know?!

tounge.gif

Seriously?

*Warren - provided the money's OK; and can someone please tell him that Gowens is at the Urchins, 'cos then he'll definitely sign for us!
laugh.gif

*Jay Smith - if he has a conscience, that is. High time he repaid us for the time he's been on the treatment table.

*Wilson - nowhere else to go.

*Flavs - not many people sniffing around, he's still No. 1 at Roots Hall.

*Hunt - with Derby staying up, their need to recall Lewis has diminished. No reason for him to look elsewhere right now.

= = = =

Do I think that Cort & Maher will re-sign? In my heart of hearts, no. But that's because, after 13 years of supporting the Blues, I'm always a tad pessimistic when it comes to us attracting players.

They've both been offered deals in Div 2, where they'll play in front of 20,000+ crowds at every home game. In all honesty, if you weren't a Shrimper, would you think twice before accepting such an offer?

Basically, we never sign a player who's at his peak or on the make - even when we were in Div 1. We either unearth a gem who we then soon lose (e.g. Stan), give someone a break who's had a tough time elsewhere... and then lose (e.g. Carruthers) or pick-up damaged goods (e.g. Marsh - and his knees; Byrne - and his gambling).

However, maybe that's begun to change. I think Nicolau is a gem - some of his left foot crossing at Huddersfield, which was when I first saw him, was breathtaking; and I think Dudders is also someone who needed to feel at home - and who now does. Maybe Pettefer fits into that category too. I think all three of them will be massive players next season.

Gower is on the make - if we don't go up, he'll be gone next summer, so it's incumbent on us to do the most we can in the time he's here.

I worry that Jimmy Corbett falls into the damaged goods category, given his injuries... but such is his talent, that he's worth the risk.

The worry for next season is that we need a fair bit of luck with injuries if we're to be really successful.

However, if we stay injury free, we still look as if we've potentially got a pretty damn good side:

Flahavan

Jupp/ Warren?/ Edwards Nicolau
Hunt? Hunt?

Gower/ Smith/ Bentley/ Pettefer/
Corbett Gower Pettefer Kightly/
Gower

Dudfield Broughton/
Bramble/
Corbett

My preferred line-up:

Flahavan

Jupp/ Edwards Warren Nicolau
Hunt

Gower Smith Bentley Pettefer

Dudfield Corbett

With that line-up, we'll score LOTS of goals, but perhaps concede a few too... a lot rests on Edwards' & Warren's not so youthful shoulders, and Nicolau & Hunt will need to use their pace a great deal as well (which may be why Hunt's a better bet at right-back than Juppy).

So, we're still looking a bit thin at the back, and I still think we're missing a goalie... but we're getting there. We'll just have to get there without Cort & Maher, IMHO - so it would be great to see if we can tempt Leo Roget back to the Hall as a replacement...

Matt

Back