• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Corners and Throws in

I've got nothing against a well-practised, and well-executed "special play" corner. But for cliff's sake get it right on the training ground first (or on the Roots Hall pitch if that's what's needed).

Surely all that's required is for the guy trapping the ball to roll it back a couple of inches and then get out of the way; if this doesn't work then abandon it and try something different... on the training ground.

We must be up to about a dozen or more of the farcical off-side corners now; to harp back to a previous discussion, that equates to about a dozen goal-scoring opportunities.

We're rubbish now at throw-ins, but rubbish is a distinct improvement over the bl00dy awful that we've seen for a long time now.

For years we had only the one tactic of lining up attacker, defender, attacker, defender in a straight line and throwing the ball line-out style in the hope that we might win the ball and the even vaguer hope that we might do something useful with it.

I'm a little disappointed to see a new tactic emerging though, where the ball is thrown as hard as possible at a team-mate's chest in the hope that it'll bounce back to the thrower (as demonstrated on at least two occasions last night by Franno).

A throw-in should simply be a pass to one of your own players. All you need is a team-mate who'll make himself ready to receive a simple pass. If you've got someone who can throw long and accurate then that pass can easily become a cross into the box instead.

Hardly Rocket Science is it?

I would like to see us try and do what Roomey and Giggs did at the corner where the goal was wrongly disallowed in Man U v Chelsea, I'm sure someone would muck it up but it's worth a try

Why do we keep persisting in taking these stupid short corners that keep catching us offside? It's happened probably more than half a dozen times this season before last night and twice last night too! IT DOSN'T WORK! FORGET IT!

Its surely much more simple to get a ball in to the box from a dead ball or if you want to change the angle of the cross the use someone a few yards away to significantly change the angle of delivery. This one yard pass short corner dosn't do either!

Couldn't agree more the short corners drive me completley mad they never work.

I would like to see us try and do what Roomey and Giggs did at the corner where the goal was wrongly disallowed in Man U v Chelsea, I'm sure someone would muck it up but it's worth a try

It was perfectly correctly ruled out.

To have worked, firstly they need to warn the Lino about what they are doing (not required, but common sense) and secondly when the ball was put into the corner quadrant, it was rolled in under the studs, and then dragged straight out again with the studs. When taking a kick (free kick, corner, penalty) you have to kick the ball, not flick or drag it. You would have thought Premiership players (and their coaches) would have known that.

Last edited:
The last time i can remember us scoring from a short corner was away at Birmingham in The Championship.

To get caught offside twice doing it aswell is shocking, just put the ball in the box.

To have worked, firstly they need to warn the Lino about what they are doing (not required, but common sense) and secondly when the ball was put into the corner quadrant, it was rolled in under the studs, and then dragged straight out again with the studs. When taking a kick (free kick, corner, penalty) you have to kick the ball, not flick or drag it. You would have though Premiership players (and their coaches) would have known that.

Thanks for correcting me, I didn't remember if he flicked or dragged the ball and it was Wayne Rooney, hardly the most intelligent footballer

I don't understand how the corner that we kept getting "caught" offside is actually offside. For a start, when Francis plays it short to Robinson, Robinson stops the ball he doesn't pass it back. Plus, Crewe had men on the posts, surely they are keeping Francis on. Anyways, we have been caught out on this on numerous occasions.

We are dreadful at set-pieces in general, since Harding has gone back you can add free-kicks into the equation as well. He just don't look like we are going to make anything happen.

Our main set piece takers over the last few years have all left us (Maher, Gower, Hammell, Mulgrew, Harding) and we haven't replaced them either. The best set piece from us last night was Freedman's corner, why did he only take one?

To have worked, firstly they need to warn the Lino about what they are doing (not required, but common sense) and secondly when the ball was put into the corner quadrant, it was rolled in under the studs, and then dragged straight out again with the studs. When taking a kick (free kick, corner, penalty) you have to kick the ball, not flick or drag it. You would have thought Premiership players (and their coaches) would have known that.

Maybe you would have also thought ref's knew the "laws" too as most of them asked about it said they would have allowed the goal if they knew what rooney and giggs were doing. Where in the laws does it say you are not allowed to flick the ball at a free kick? and plenty of players roll the ball with the underside of the feet especially when they are laying people up for a shot, so your argument is pretty floored.

As for our corners, it really does my head in how the laws of the game say one thing yet the officials do something completely different. When francis rolled the ball to robinson, the ball went backwards. He then stops it without the ball moving forwards, therefore francis is not offside, so why do they keep giving it as offside?

As for the free kicks i haven;t seen a team that put the ball to the back of the 6 yard area so much and expect to score. They need to drop the ball in the middle of the goal, its far to easy to defend otherwise. And its not as if they are even trying to mix them up, they are all the same. Stand in a line, play the ball past the goal and try and knock it back across. Doesn;t work end of.

we Need some ideas, but where are they going to come from, because we have had years of pants corners and free kicks so i don;t really see much changing

I don't understand how the corner that we kept getting "caught" offside is actually offside. For a start, when Francis plays it short to Robinson, Robinson stops the ball he doesn't pass it back. Plus, Crewe had men on the posts, surely they are keeping Francis on. Anyways, we have been caught out on this on numerous occasions.

I think stopping the ball must count as a forward pass? And I think the players on the goal line move out one step as soon as the short corner is taken then the corner taker is always going to be in an offside position.

Why as has been pointed out can't the receiving player roll the ball backwards instead of stopping the ball? Then would the corner taker not be offside?

The ball doesn't need to be played forward any more. As soon as the player controlling the ball touches it the corner taker is offside. I found that out when I couldn't understand how it was flagged offside the first time we tried it early this season, I can't believe that the players still try it.

And BoyWonder2, I don't know about the first time but I was watching their defender on the goal-line (Billy Jones) for the second offside last night and the moment Francis kicked the ball he pushed up and played Francis offside.

I don't know why Moussa has stopped taking corners, I thought he put a pretty decent cross in.

With Barrett Clarke and Dervite in the team, Moussa is the man on the half way line, so he is deemed not to be able to take it.

I am of the thought that there is no point seding the big 3 up if the cross is ****, send 2 and have a good ball eveytime!!

The ball doesn't need to be played forward any more. As soon as the player controlling the ball touches it the corner taker is offside. I found that out when I couldn't understand how it was flagged offside the first time we tried it early this season, I can't believe that the players still try it.

And BoyWonder2, I don't know about the first time but I was watching their defender on the goal-line (Billy Jones) for the second offside last night and the moment Francis kicked the ball he pushed up and played Francis offside.

Thats fair enough then, I knew on one of the corners at least they had players on the goal line.

I never realised the ball didn't have to be played forward, that seems wierd to me but there you go.

With Barrett Clarke and Dervite in the team, Moussa is the man on the half way line, so he is deemed not to be able to take it.

I am of the thought that there is no point seding the big 3 up if the cross is ****, send 2 and have a good ball eveytime!!

It's usually Macca and Osei back to be fair, I can't work the logic of that out at all. And to be completely honest I haven't a clue where Moussa goes when we have a corner.

That rule has been in place for as long as I've been able to kick a football

Whether the ball is played forward or not is irrelevant. If a player is in an offside position when the ball is played, he is offside (ignoring the 'interfering' part!)

i think we should just stick with a good old francis corner that doesn't leave the floor and is dealt with easily by the defence. love those corners. saw a good few of them last night.

Having been at the game on Tuesday, being caught offside at corners was just one of a whole range of frustrations.

However, we can't argue about it. As has been rightly pointed out, as soon as the ball is touched by another player, the corner taker can be considered off-side. All it takes is for one of the two defenders on the line (including the goalkeeper) to step off it for it to mean that the corner taker is then in an off-side position. As the laws stand it's quite clear and straight-forward and as a professional team we shouldn't lay ourselves open by being caught out by it.

But, what a crap rule!! We don't gain any advantage from the 'off-side' position, for two reasons:
1) No defenders can be anywahere near him anyway - they have to be 10 yards away when the kick is taken. Even allowing for the time it takes for the initial ball to arrive at the stopper (no more than 2 yards away), there's no way on earth a defender can get near enough to the ball for the taker to 'spring a surprise' on the defender.
2) The whole rationale for the off-side law is to stop attackers gaining an advantage from essentially goal-hanging. So to flag the corner taker as 'off-side' in the spirit of the original law is just plain barmy. All it does is to allow a defending team to exploit the technicalities of a poorly worded rule in order to prevent the attacking team from changing their angle of approach to the penalty area.

In short, that's just one of a raft of laws that need changing to allow for sensible application of the actual reason for them.

Think we may have a case of 'over coaching' average players and forgetting the basics. On Saturday Francis played 2 great low balls to the edge of the box (to howls of derision by the way!), only for the receiving player, who was in acres of space, to mis-control.
The 'low skimmers' to the near post are also meant to be anticipated for a flick or deflection - none were. In both cases Francis get stick. Have to say tho that the two 'offside short corners' were almost comical. Full marks to Crewe for sussing the first one immediately(would we?), but to get caught second time was more than careless and yes the defenders did come off the line as soon as Francis played the ball, meaning that when Robinson trapped it Francis was offside as soon as he made a move to play the ball.

Back