• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Covid 19 is all about politics and this thread has 'non politics' in it's title. Wake up people.
It's not a question of 'wake up people', ShrimperZone took a decision some while ago to not allow politics on here. Even though most posts themselves are innocuous, unfortunately we have this policy because politics is incendiary on the forum and we’ve seen too much fall out from it over the last few years. As moderators, we sit across all spectrums and do not collectively support any one political leaning. It’s why we try to remove ALL posts that stray into political territory (which obviously would include comments about politicians flouting social distancing guidelines) and encourage people not to share them - left, right, centre, raving loony.

Hope you understand - and we appreciate your support on this.

Covid 19 is all about politics and this thread has 'non politics' in it's title. Wake up people.

You can talk about it without getting political. It doesn’t have to be about pushing people’s political agendas.

I’m fully awake to it thank you. Plenty of political rubbish on Twitter, if I want to see that I’ll just go on there.

I'm really not sure how a discussion about the comparitive price of masks or deep cleaning on public transport can be judged to be political.Perhaps I'm missing something? :Dunce:

You got many Chinese Bazaar’s round your way? How are they getting on? I’d have thought they’d have stocked up on PPE a while ago - seeing as they’ve got everything else on the planet, in their shops ?

Lots of the above I don't understand, simple explaination please?
I have read a few articles that believe covid 19 started much earlier that the Chinese are giving a date for and came to the UK much earlier too but was not recognised.
I have read that the French suspect the same.
I have also read that the Spainish are re accounting their numbers down? At the same time as encouraging mass tourism?

I have read a few articles that believe covid 19 started much earlier that the Chinese are giving a date for and came to the UK much earlier too but was not recognised.
I have also read that the Spainish are re accounting their numbers down? At the same time as encouraging mass tourism?

I think I read Spain’s numbers are only counted if they die the day they are diagnosed with Covid 19. Could be wrong...

There is a some thought that the virus kicked off here at the beginning of December, hospitals reported and increase in admissions of seasonal flu. But didn't think any think out of place as it was seasonal flu. Not sure how true that is?

Well it looks like the antibody tests are now up and running although from my understanding it is currently only available for NHS staff.
I have mine booked for next week but there are already some debates going on in regards to a) the validity of it (as it is only 80% accurate) and b) it will only tell you if you have had it and not whether there is any immunity. Therefore, it does make you wonder of what is the point as, with any test, it what you do with the results.
As for face masks, they are ok if worn correctly and so, so, so many people do not know how to wear correctly and my biggest fear is the sense of security people feel they have with it. Some of the research does indeed indicate some benefits only that it protects others and not yourself but, if everyone wore one then the transfer rate would reduce.
Hand washing and distancing is still the most effective method and I just wish they (the government) and everyone would would re-enforce the high importance of good hand washing with soap and water. Hand santister is good but, only if you don’t have access to soap and water.
Interestingly, since this epidemic and the need for good hygiene up until now I have not seen or heard of one case of Nora Virus which is normally rampant in care homes.

Last edited:
There is a some thought that the virus kicked off here at the beginning of December, hospitals reported and increase in admissions of seasonal flu. But didn't think any think out of place as it was seasonal flu. Not sure how true that is?

The general consensus at work and amongst my colleagues both in hospital, community, Care homes and GP’s is that it has been here longer than we think as some staff recall seeing people as late back as December (if not earlier) with what we now know as COVID-19 symptoms

Well it looks like the antibody tests are now up and running although from my understanding it is currently only available for NHS staff.
I have mine booked for next week but there are already some debates going on in regards to a) the validity of it (as it is only 80% accurate) and b) it will only tell you if you have had it and not whether there is any immunity. Therefore, it does make you wonder of what is the point as, with any test, it what you do with the results.
As for face masks, they are ok if worn correctly and so, so, so many people do not know how to wear correctly and my biggest fear is the sense of security people feel they have with it. Some of the research does indeed indicate some benefits only that it protects others and not yourself but, if everyone wore one then the transfer rate would reduce.
Hand washing and distancing is still the most effective method and I just wish they (the government) and everyone would would re-enforce the high importance of good hand washing with soap and water. Hand santister is good but, only if you don’t have access to soap and water.
Interestingly, since this epidemic and the need for good hygiene up until now I have not seen or heard of one case of Nora Virus which is normally rampant in care homes.
Thank you Tinks; could you do the UK Guv briefing, address the masses and become Elle Supremo of hospital cleaning. Simple, sane and wise advice.

Do people not realise (many seem not to) that having a virus before doesn't make you safe from ever getting it again, bodies and viruses change with other changes, & a vaccine, such as a flu one doesn't give anythinglike 100% safe guarding does it?
100% agree re masks and soap.

I had Nora from visiting my late mum at SGH, knocked me flat for weeks and still has lingering taste after effects; if hospitals have eliminated that did it go with a) better cleaning and b) no "dirty" visitors or staff? Hopefully another lesson to be learnt by all.

I have mine booked for next week

I don't know if you would go to the same place as Kev for this, but reports from the ambulance crews is that there is a woman doing this who is an absolute butcher! If you ever saw the episode of dinnerladies with "The Blender", this could be him/her!

I don't know if you would go to the same place as Kev for this, but reports from the ambulance crews is that there is a woman doing this who is an absolute butcher! If you ever saw the episode of dinnerladies with "The Blender", this could be him/her!

Haha, please don’t tell me that as I actually dislike needles.

The one in Southend can be very forceful.

drag-me-to-hell.png

Thank you Tinks; could you do the UK Guv briefing, address the masses and become Elle Supremo of hospital cleaning. Simple, sane and wise advice.

Do people not realise (many seem not to) that having a virus before doesn't make you safe from ever getting it again, bodies and viruses change with other changes, & a vaccine, such as a flu one doesn't give anythinglike 100% safe guarding does it?
100% agree re masks and soap.

I had Nora from visiting my late mum at SGH, knocked me flat for weeks and still has lingering taste after effects; if hospitals have eliminated that did it go with a) better cleaning and b) no "dirty" visitors or staff? Hopefully another lesson to be learnt by all.

On the issue of immunity... The disease has been around for over 6 months and there don't appear to be many/any reports of people catching this a second time (there were a few cases early on which now appear to be testing failures or the disease not having fully resolved from the initial infection) so the probability has to be that there is some immunity. As a new disease until people start getting this a second time in some quantity we won't know how long or how variable that immunity is likely to be. For now presumably the balance of probability is that immunity lasts at least 6 months. I'm sure someone will demolish that logic.

On the issue of immunity... The disease has been around for over 6 months and there don't appear to be many/any reports of people catching this a second time (there were a few cases early on which now appear to be testing failures or the disease not having fully resolved from the initial infection) so the probability has to be that there is some immunity. As a new disease until people start getting this a second time in some quantity we won't know how long or how variable that immunity is likely to be. For now presumably the balance of probability is that immunity lasts at least 6 months. I'm sure someone will demolish that logic.

It’s going to interesting reading some of the research coming out.
You would,like to think that once had you would develop some immunity and most likely you probably will/have but, it depends how long that natural immunity lasts for however, we have to remember that like most viruses it will mutate so as soon as we have a vaccine available there would be no telling on the level of immunity. Look at the Flu vaccine - we normally have to guess what strain of flu we anticipate is going to occur months beforehand and yet still people die of flu.
Some of the papers/ articles I have read are quite optimistic regarding a vaccine.
Fingers crossed ?

You got many Chinese Bazaar’s round your way? How are they getting on? I’d have thought they’d have stocked up on PPE a while ago - seeing as they’ve got everything else on the planet, in their shops ?

I was thinking about the local chemist's, actually.
Although as it happens there is a "Todo a Cien" shop in SC (the local equivalent of a Chinese Bazaar ,since they're usually Chinese run).My wife popped into it yesterday to get something to blow up our grandson's plastic ball (for his birthday present later in June).Didn't think to ask her to check the mask situation as I believe we're reasonably well stocked atm. :Winking:

As you intimate there have been some unjustified reports (IMO) in the media of Chinese people being discriminated against .Sadly

Last edited:

It’s going to interesting reading some of the research coming out.
You would,like to think that once had you would develop some immunity and most likely you probably will/have but, it depends how long that natural immunity lasts for however, we have to remember that like most viruses it will mutate so as soon as we have a vaccine available there would be no telling on the level of immunity. Look at the Flu vaccine - we normally have to guess what strain of flu we anticipate is going to occur months beforehand and yet still people die of flu.
Some of the papers/ articles I have read are quite optimistic regarding a vaccine.
Fingers crossed
?

As I understand it ,(both in the UK and Spain) only about 5% of the population have had the virus and survived..That's nowhere near the 60% (or so) needed to develop "herd immunity".

So we're going to need that vaccine.

As I understand it ,(both in the UK and Spain) only about 5% of the population have had the virus and survived..That's nowhere near the 60% (or so) needed to develop "herd immunity".

So we're going to need that vaccine.

Strangely enough it is only a small percentage they are reporting that HAVE actually had this COVID-19 but they are only reporting on the ones they know about. I am sure like myself many others have had it but were never tested so therefore not counted in the numbers. When I had it I contacted my GP to inform just in case they needed to collect data but was told not to worry as they had no mechanism to collect it hence, why I think the antibody testing may be of benefit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back