• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sort of nonsense reminds me of those 70's information films and leaflets. The ones that showed mum, dad and the two kids building an Atomic bomb proof shelter under their stairs. Then advising you to place a hankie over your eyes to shield you from the blast.

Still it gives the sheep plenty to graze on.

EP Thompson wrote a wonderful spoof of HMG's policy at the time,in the pamphlet Protect and Survive, in his excellent Protest and Survive.

If I said any more we'd be talking politics. :Winking:

Seriously, most of the Covid stuff "literature" seems to me to well intentioned but Nannyish at best.

I started feeling slightly rough Sunday. I feel a bit worse today - bit of a temperature and headache.

My son tested positive and feels absolutely fine.
No coughing? There do seem to be a few head achey people about at the moment, but mostly being put down to stress!

(So called) "Knowledge workers" v F2F workers.

FWIW,it seems to me that since March when lockdowns started in the UK and elsewhere that Western societies (and perhaps others) have been transformed into those "knowledge workers" who can telework from home relatively easily and those workers who can only do their jobs on a F2F (face to face for those not familiar with the jargon) basis.

This trend seems set to continue long after a vacinne for covid-19 is (hopefully ) found.

Teleworking,of course ,has existed in principle for some 20 years or so now.But the covid crisis has turbo-charged its widespread adoption.

This new distinction between knowledge workers and F2F workers seems to me, at least, to have superceded the old middle class v working class distinction,perhaps forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
(So called) "Knowledge workers" v F2F workers.

FWIW,it seems to me that since March when lockdowns started in the UK and elsewhere that Western societies (and perhaps others) have been transformed into those "knowledge workers" who can telework from home relatively easily and those workers who can only do their jobs on a F2F (face to face for those not familiar with the jargon) basis.

This trend seems set to continue long after a vacinne for covid-19 is (hopefully ) found.

Teleworking,of course ,has existed in principle for some 20 years or so now.But the covid crisis has turbo-charged its widespread adoption.

This new distinction between knowledge workers and F2F workers seems to me, at least, to have superceeded the old middle class v working class distinction,perhaps forever.

Remote working is only good if people had free and decent broadband. Thats what the government should nationalise. Im not a "leftie" but it's become so ubiquitous that it should be a public good.

I have been a remote worker for the past few years, there is little around where I live to do in the daytime, but it's a good area to be because the schools are great nad it's easy to get to other towns and cities, and it's rural. I'd love to be able to network and meet with people during the day, do some coworking potentially, and then swap the old friday after-work drinks for meeting a few like-minded people in a decent village pub or bar. unfortunately, the pubs where I live aren't great. We might see more people working from home who want social/community interaction to break up the weeks. However, on the flip side, cities are in real trouble.

I have been a remote worker for the past few years, there is little around where I live to do in the daytime, but it's a good area to be because the schools are great nad it's easy to get to other towns and cities, and it's rural. I'd love to be able to network and meet with people during the day, do some coworking potentially, and then swap the old friday after-work drinks for meeting a few like-minded people in a decent village pub or bar. unfortunately, the pubs where I live aren't great. We might see more people working from home who want social/community interaction to break up the weeks. However, on the flip side, cities are in real trouble.

My big worry is that employers will use remote working as an excuse to 'regionalise' salaries.

For all you conspiracy theorists out there. Here's in interesting article from Forbes magazine:

Click here

Did you know that the Russian Flu of the 1890s was blamed on the newly invented electric lightbulb? The difference was that we didn't have mass communication in those days so not as many people were exposed to that ridiculous notion. Today we would laugh at that, but that was the conspiracy theory of the day. Roll on 100 years and we'll all be laughing at people burning down 5G masts.

Even more funny is that some people advocated taking quinine to ward off the flu. Quinine is an antimalarial drug, which meant people that who were actually suffering from malaria couldn't get hold of the drug, and that the price had been inflated. Quinine is also the antecedent of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine!

I wonder if humanity will ever learn from its mistakes.

(As an aside, it was also that flu that led to the extremely famous law case of Carlill v. Carbolic Smoke Ball Company.)

For all you conspiracy theorists out there. Here's in interesting article from Forbes magazine:

Click here

Did you know that the Russian Flu of the 1890s was blamed on the newly invented electric lightbulb? The difference was that we didn't have mass communication in those days so not as many people were exposed to that ridiculous notion. Today we would laugh at that, but that was the conspiracy theory of the day. Roll on 100 years and we'll all be laughing at people burning down 5G masts.

Even more funny is that some people advocated taking quinine to ward off the flu. Quinine is an antimalarial drug, which meant people that who were actually suffering from malaria couldn't get hold of the drug, and that the price had been inflated. Quinine is also the antecedent of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine!

I wonder if humanity will ever learn from its mistakes.

(As an aside, it was also that flu that led to the extremely famous law case of Carlill v. Carbolic Smoke Ball Company.)

I doubt it. There are 1000's of people out there who believe they can avoid a virus if the drink up by 10pm. Or its safe to go to Asda as long as you don't visit your nan on the way home.

Some further thoughts on covid-19.

A little while ago a great friend (also on SZ) said to me (in a pm) "I want my old life back".

I'm sure many of us have felt that way in the last 6 months or so.

In fact it seems to me that in the (near) future we'll be thinking about life in terms of the 3 C's.

BC = Before Covid.

DC = During covid, (ie now). Perhaps the most difficult time.

AC = After covid when a vaccine has (hopefully) been rolled out.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back