• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Headlines from Boris's statement:

Boris Johnson says it would be "fatal" if progress on coronavirus vaccinations makes people complacent about the risk of infection.

Cancer treatments are being postponed because of cases being dealt with in hospitals, he adds.

With 1,280 deaths since yesterday, he reminds people that handling something touched by an infected person can catch the virus.

The PM says the closure of air travel corridors from 04:00 on Monday will apply across the UK.

This will initially happen for a month, although it will be kept under review and could be extended.

Anyone arriving in the UK must quarantine for 10 days or they have the choice of doing an extra test on day five to shorten the isolation.

Outlining the measures to come into place, he calls them "vital", as "day by day, hour by hour" progress is being made in vaccinating people.

He adds that 3.2 million people across the UK have received vaccines.

Prof Chris Whitty tells the press conference that the number of cases is still "extremely high".
"We are still at the place where just shy of one in 50 has Covid," he says. But the chief medical officer for England says there is some "levelling off" in the cases "thanks to enormous efforts by so many people" and because "virtually everyone" is adhering to the guidance.
"We were not sure this was going to be possible with the new variant," he adds.

They're shocking figures and have been over a 1,000 everyday for sometime now.

Yes mate, Basildon hospital.

From how I understand it, the trouble with smaller GP surgeries is that they’re waiting for the more stocks of the Oxford vaccine.

The Pfizer one obviously isn’t suitable for smaller surgeries as it can’t be stored like they do at the hospital, and the Oxford one is in short supply atm.

It’s coming though.
That is indeed the issue.
Not that we can’t get the numbers through but with the space and with the Pfizer it is the 15 min observations.
I worked non-stop alongside my colleagues yesterday from 8 -7 and we could have done more had we had the AstraZeneca.

Now maths isn't my strength but the figures BJ just gave out seem wrong to me, or the explanation.
How many over 80s are there in the population?
How many have had the jab? What percentage is that?
And my simple maths give me a simple conclusion that many, many non over 80s have been jabbed.
I am not against that if they are front line, hands on, NHS staff BUT as that wasn't slam dunk pointed out where have those jabs gone?

Now maths isn't my strength but the figures BJ just gave out seem wrong to me, or the explanation.
How many over 80s are there in the population?
How many have had the jab? What percentage is that?
And my simple maths give me a simple conclusion that many, many non over 80s have been jabbed.
I am not against that if they are front line, hands on, NHS staff BUT as that wasn't slam dunk pointed out where have those jabs gone?
We have done lots and lots and lots of care staff within the first cohort alongside obviously ourselves and other NHS colleagues

Last edited:

Without going into too much detail, and not wanting to sound condescending, there are so many people who are hands on, on the front line that some roles are often overlooked & not even thought about.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree that we need to protect the oldies, but it’s worth remembering that the people keeping this country’s infrastructure going, are largely under the age of 80.

When it comes to prioritising, even though the over 80’s are the most vulnerable, it’s the key workers who need to be vaccinated first. Not because they deserve it more, but because without them, this country would collapse overnight.

Without going into too much detail, and not wanting to sound condescending, there are so many people who are hands on, on the front line that some roles are often overlooked & not even thought about.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree that we need to protect the oldies, but it’s worth remembering that the people keeping this country’s infrastructure going, are largely under the age of 80.

When it comes to prioritising, even though the over 80’s are the most vulnerable, it’s the key workers who need to be vaccinated first. Not because they deserve it more, but because without them, this country would collapse overnight.
How come you get the nod for a jab, thought you were a youngun in priority terms.

Reactions: GBJ

I understand that, it is very basic stuff.
Yet because BJ rolled out the figures in the way he did it "smelt" wrong and that there was much not stated.
I await the stories of the "worthy and wealthy" beating the tiers.

Hearing of another supermarket with some staff off. Allegedly one member of staff came into work for many days whilst feeling unwell, as they always got a cold this time of year - tested positive. Another continued to go to work after their partner tested positive and they awaited their own test result - it was positive. Don't know what is wrong with some people!

Personally I think that should be a disiplinary event at work - many staff are now having to isolate.

I don't know if anyone read the comments from Sean Dyche regarding football players (he believes) should be vaccinated first. What the hell was he thinking coming out with that statement.

On GMB this morning they had a debate about it, Jamie Carragher (who I find a sensible guy) quite rightly pointed out, it wouldn't go down well with the public.

A few managers in the Prem are now saying the season should stop.

Hearing of another supermarket with some staff off. Allegedly one member of staff came into work for many days whilst feeling unwell, as they always got a cold this time of year - tested positive. Another continued to go to work after their partner tested positive and they awaited their own test result - it was positive. Don't know what is wrong with some people!

Personally I think that should be a disiplinary event at work - many staff are now having to isolate.

It's difficult, people need to earn a crust and we don't know what the management are saying to them about going to work. Everyone is under so much presure to make a living. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, we just don't know the facts.

I don't know if anyone read the comments from Sean Dyche regarding football players (he believes) should be vaccinated first. What the hell was he thinking coming out with that statement.

On GMB this morning they had a debate about it, Jamie Carragher (who I find a sensible guy) quite rightly pointed out, it wouldn't go down well with the public.

The public would get it, if it meant normality in 6 -9 months, football is a game not life or death unlike the Doctors/ nurses who play Russian roulette every day with paramedics/ care staff

The no spitting hadn’t stopped nor hugging which friggin annoys me, I cannot hug my family , yet rules change for a sport
So wrong in many ways and would have Jamie Carragher spitting out of his car window at a young lad and his dad !!!

The public would get it, if it meant normality in 6 -9 months, football is a game not life or death unlike the Doctors/ nurses who play Russian roulette every day with paramedics/ care staff

The no spitting hadn’t stopped nor hugging which friggin annoys me, I cannot hug my family , yet rules change for a sport
So wrong in many ways and would have Jamie Carragher spitting out of his car window at a young lad and his dad !!!

Sorry you've lost me with this, do you mean they wouldn't get it?

Yeah I saw his interview. I found it very bizarre. He was basically saying that if all football players and football club staff got vaccinated, then this would save money on the testing (as it wouldn't be needed anymore for the Prem) and the money saved could mean more testing for NHS staff etc.

A vaccine is far more precious than a test at this stage, so didn't really get that. The vaccine going to the most vulnerable first seems the most obvious solution at the moment, but the arguments above regarding key workers are sensible and worth having. Not Prem players though.

It's difficult, people need to earn a crust and we don't know what the management are saying to them about going to work. Everyone is under so much presure to make a living. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, we just don't know the facts.

That's a fair point - it's defo wrong, but there could be mitigating circumstances, but they should report to their union or whistleblow if being encouraged to break guidance -( or possibly the law?). I'm sure the CEO's of the big supermarkets wouldn't want this sort of publicity.

That's a fair point - it's defo wrong, but there could be mitigating circumstances, but they should report to their union or whistleblow if being encouraged to break guidance -( or possibly the law?). I'm sure the CEO's of the big supermarkets wouldn't want this sort of publicity.

I'm with you on that, you can guarantee companies are telling employees to attend work or face the door. You can tell how busy it is during this lockdown, I don't believe it's the employees choice, but what can they do.

I would love all supermarkets to shut!
Furlough all staff and we all rely on deliveries!
My wife puts herself at risk every day!
Let's have a proper lockdown! I work in construction so I'm ****ing immune apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back