• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Denmark are scrapping the face mask restrictions from Monday. Meanwhile our reduction in restrictions looks likely to be postponed for at least another month. Nothing in the data justifies this decision.
I wonder how many people knew about or even cared when the WHO changed the parameters, in 2009, for the definition of a pandemic. They changed it from recorded mortality rates to recorded cases. In other words this virus would not be a pandemic and the governments would not have been able to bring in emergency powers. This in turn would mean no lockdowns or mass vaccination trials. It also explains the huge numbers of tests being carried out, accurate or not.

Were they hale and hearty when admitted to hospital? Were any of them involved in a serious RTA prior to admission (using your earlier in thread notion)?

My point is that figures are not as simple as basic numbers.

If there is a credible risk to any group of persons from the vaccination programme then we must all ensure any credible evidence and whistleblowers are listened to.

Look up Pfizer on wiki

Most of the people in the UK aren't vaccinated, around 40% have received 2 jabs, with probably around 5 to 10% of those being in the last 2 weeks. So probably around 1 in 3 have maximum protection via vaccine.

In 4 weeks time I think you'll be correct that the majority of people will have been fully vaccinated.

I don't get the ulterior motive as to why the govt would want ongoing restrictions.

The most vulnerable who account for 90% of COVID deaths have been doubly vaccinated. The people who haven't been vaccinated are at tiny risk. It's the constant changing of the goalposts - first lockdown was about not "overwhelming" the NHS, then it was getting the most vulnerable vaccinated, then it was all adults, next it will be children! Not to mention the millions more who already have antibodies.

COVID has given the government and their scientists power and control, and the opportunity to accelerate other agendas - the shift to working from home, health passports, the green agenda, cashless society, moving NHS services online and so on. If this was just about health, why did they close gyms while allowing fast food restaurants to remain open?

Susan Michie, a member of SAGE (and incidentally a behavioural psychologist and member of the British Communist Party), said last week that things like social distancing and masks should remain FOREVER. These people are drunk on power.

Last edited:
The most vulnerable who account for 90% of COVID deaths have been doubly vaccinated. The people who haven't been vaccinated are at tiny risk. It's the constant changing of the goalposts - first lockdown was about not "overwhelming" the NHS, then it was getting the most vulnerable vaccinated, then it was all adults, next it will be children! Not to mention the millions more who already have antibodies.

COVID has given the government and their scientists power and control, and the opportunity to accelerate other agendas - the shift to working from home, health passports, the green agenda, cashless society, moving NHS services online and so on. If this was just about health, why did they close gyms while allowing fast food restaurants to remain open?

Susan Michie, a member of SAGE (and incidentally a behavioural psychologist and member of the British Communist Party), said last week that things like social distancing and masks should remain FOREVER. These people are drunk on power.

Why would govts want a WFH agenda? Green l, cashless agendas etc could all have been accelerated without covid restrictions if they wanted to. I don't get the link.

If you check Susan Michie Twitter feed you'll see that she has been misrepresented by the press (probably seeking their own agenda).

the shift to working from home
Something Boris clearly hates considering how frequently in the early days he was trying to get people back in the office even when restrictions were ongoing. Whilst Covid is the reason businesses have started to realise the benefits of WFH (e.g. because it means they can rent a smaller and therefore cheaper office) it's not something Boris wants to happen, it's just something he can't really stop from happening.

Aside from health passports most of the other things are things Boris could force through whether there was a lockdown or not. How does lockdown play into this conspiracy?

Accoring to HMG's Health Minister delaying "freedom day" by a month should allow 10 million more people to be fully vaccinated.Sounds sensible to me.

Look up Pfizer on wiki
I will do, also I will talk to friend who works for them at their Cambridge UK HQ, where all staff have had both jabs, seemingly unafraid and unharmed, which, may be an indicator.

However what about your hospital figures? and with that, yes people in hospital are ill, they are susceptible to covid AND at a higher risk.
It is shameful and very poor that they caught covid while in there, the NHS is not, imo, immune from some responsibility for that and ought to be better than it is but that is a whole way off topic and political to boot.

I will do, also I will talk to friend who works for them at their Cambridge UK HQ, where all staff have had both jabs, seemingly unafraid and unharmed, which, may be an indicator.

However what about your hospital figures? and with that, yes people in hospital are ill, they are susceptible to covid AND at a higher risk.
It is shameful and very poor that they caught covid while in there, the NHS is not, imo, immune from some responsibility for that and ought to be better than it is but that is a whole way off topic and political to boot.
On that highlighted point without being political, it would have been nice to see designated COVID hospitals and redirect standard patients to otherwise normally running establishments. Whether that could have been possible though, who knows.

On that highlighted point without being political, it would have been nice to see designated COVID hospitals and redirect standard patients to otherwise normally running establishments. Whether that could have been possible though, who knows.
SGH, and Basildon did separate the hospitals into sectors and covid wards, tried to establish green and red codes areas, however too much cross over of staff, patients, others, made it very hard to be anywhere as successful as would be ideal.
And NHS, staff, public too slow to respond and with insufficient support or understanding of the issues.

When the moderating team set this thread up we thought it was vital that the forum stayed open, as it was a way for people to remain connected through uncertain, confusing & worrying times. It was obvious that peoples usual means of interaction would be affected, (with some poor souls likely to be more affected than others) so we thought that as a small community of Shrimpers, it could only be a good thing, to have that forum at our disposal.

We think it served a good purpose last year, and into this year too, for that matter. But now, it would seem that the only real purpose of the forum, is to pick up where the politics forum left off, and opine polarising views that have no intention of open minded discussion behind them.

Things are slowly returning to some form of normality, and the shock factor of this whole pandemic is well and truly gone. What once we saw as a possible community support network, has now become nothing more than a battleground and as a result we have decided to close the thread with effect from Saturday am. Thanks to all that have contributed through worrying times for all.

The Moderating Team.

When the moderating team set this thread up we thought it was vital that the forum stayed open, as it was a way for people to remain connected through uncertain, confusing & worrying times. It was obvious that peoples usual means of interaction would be affected, (with some poor souls likely to be more affected than others) so we thought that as a small community of Shrimpers, it could only be a good thing, to have that forum at our disposal.

We think it served a good purpose last year, and into this year too, for that matter. But now, it would seem that the only real purpose of the forum, is to pick up where the politics forum left off, and opine polarising views that have no intention of open minded discussion behind them.

Things are slowly returning to some form of normality, and the shock factor of this whole pandemic is well and truly gone. What once we saw as a possible community support network, has now become nothing more than a battleground and as a result we have decided to close the thread with effect from Saturday am. Thanks to all that have contributed through worrying times for all.

The Moderating Team.
Probably the right decision. The aftermath is only becoming more divisive and that's beginning to spill over into here. Rather not see SZ turn into Twitter, that's why I've been using this thread after all!

Many thanks to the moderating team for even allowing and regulating what has mostly been a supportive and open thread, it's been a place for Shrimpers to reinforce each other during this awful past year.

So rather than tackling the nonsense it gets shut down and everyone loses what has at times been a helpful and well mannered thread. I’ve had plenty of run ins on here but I hope I’ve always come from a perspective of trying to share factual and helpful information and call out a huge amount of dangerous misinformation.

just like with the Stan threads and his departure, there needs to be a better way of moderating this community and allowing important and relevant topics to be discussed

So rather than tackling the nonsense it gets shut down and everyone loses what has at times been a helpful and well mannered thread. I’ve had plenty of run ins on here but I hope I’ve always come from a perspective of trying to share factual and helpful information and call out a huge amount of dangerous misinformation.

just like with the Stan threads and his departure, there needs to be a better way of moderating this community and allowing important and relevant topics to be discussed

I think it's run it's course now, I'm sick of seeing data. All I know, sadly many people have died and that's all I need to know to rubbish the conspiracy theorists, which have drove me nuts at times.

I'm not quite sure we're near the end of this rubbish as RHB suggested, we may see another thread one day.

I think it's run it's course now, I'm sick of seeing data. All I know, sadly many people have died and that's all I need to know to rubbish the conspiracy theorists, which have drove me nuts at times.

I'm not quite sure we're near the end of this rubbish as RHB suggested, we may see another thread one day.
I would like to stress that the post closing this thread was the collective view of the team, not my view alone.

I'm absolutely not having a go at you but this issue is we are moving from a simple situation in which we had basic requirements (follow rules, test, lockdowns) into a multi-faceted issue with moral, ethical and political issues now arising.

Unfortunately it's not all black and white anymore and it's going to divide opinions and people like Brexit, and to some extent like Stan did when he came on here.

SZ can do without it to be honest considering people have a go at each other over the age of players we're signing let alone this issue!

Nowadays there are no arbiters of information and I agree that there can be some wildly varying stories and beliefs out there. But if mods start removing posts (which to their credit they are very reluctant to do) then people will be asking for more to get removed.

A dangerous precedent to set. I'd much rather the thread was put to bed, considering its' purpose has been fulfilled. This page has proven helpful on several occasions especially regarding rules and restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back