• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, just been announced on Breakfast News. Like I said elsewhere, it's affecting Kev with cancelled flights meaning cancelled airport transfers. No. 1 child has just had his flight to Amsterdam cancelled in 3 weeks from Southend too.

All sorts of transport to foreign countries is starting to get cancelled. It won't be long before the major airlines start cancelling their flights.

The stock piling panic is under way people. Someone asked me to pick up some alcohol based hand gel for them. I went to ASDA last night, not only had all the hand gel gone, but most of all the hand soap as well. I asked an assistant when is the hand gel coming in, and she said everyone has been asking that all day. She said some people were buying about 10 of them, causing a shortage.

The stock piling panic is under way people. Someone asked me to pick up some alcohol based hand gel for them. I went to ASDA last night, not only had all the hand gel gone, but most of all the hand soap as well. I asked an assistant when is the hand gel coming in, and she said everyone has been asking that all day. She said some people were buying about 10 of them, causing a shortage.

I won’t lie, I’ve been relatively quick to laugh at those people who have been panic buying. The fools

But I can’t help but feel that the time is going to come, where I’m the only one who hasn’t panic bought, and will therefore be left with nothing.

Like a fool.

They have been on the edge for months , Corona will be the excuse they come up with for not being able to turn them round

A very odd situation especially as they were recently bought out by Virgin and Stobart.

I won’t lie, I’ve been relatively quick to laugh at those people who have been panic buying. The fools

But I can’t help but feel that the time is going to come, where I’m the only one who hasn’t panic bought, and will therefore be left with nothing.

Like a fool.

I wouldn't worry if it gets to the stage. It will be great fun once the police and army are confined to quarters. My friend is currently welding twin vickers machine guns to the roof of my pick-up truck

I have always fancied myself as an unpredictable warlord......If want to be part of the Southend militia, just PM me

And so the exploitation and profiteering starts; small bottle of hand sanitizer pre-Covid-19 £2.95 - post it's shot up to £6.25 for exactly the same item. That's what makes me sick....:Scared:

And so the exploitation and profiteering starts; small bottle of hand sanitizer pre-Covid-19 £2.95 - post it's shot up to £6.25 for exactly the same item. That's what makes me sick....:Scared:
**** capitalism.

Panic buying was bound to happen as soon as the alert levels went up and now the plan is moving to delaying the spread the panic will increase. Fact of life, a lot of the antibacterial gels contain no acohol and therefore are useless to kill the virus. My local surgery can no longer get supplies of gel and probably the hospital won't be far behind. Nevertheless, washing hands for the correct length of time will give us some protection. Why folk feel the need to stockpile some of the foodstuffs that are missing from the shelves is beyond me. We are not in a pandemic just yet and if people will just be sensible and calm it will be easier for all of us.

Apparently there were queues before the shop opened today when new stock was expected.

Not everyone is that bad. I know of a physio practice close to me that is giving it away for free to anyone that turns up with their own small bottle. Said physio practice is owned by my wife.

(Although someone did mention that they wished she had started this yesterday before she spent £13 on a bottle.)

Keep the receipt, you could get a refund.

The competition watchdog has threatened legal action and fines against traders and retailers who try to take advantage of the coronavirus outbreak by selling protective products at inflated prices. The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) said they are considering asking the government to introduce prince controls after Amazon and EBay sellers took advantage of supply shortages and flogged hand sanitiser and toilet roll for hundreds of pounds. The CMA will consider any evidence that companies may have broken competition or consumer protection law by charging excessive prices or making misleading claims about the effectiveness of products to fight off the disease. Companies have been fined millions for breaking consumer laws in the past. If businesses ignore warnings from the CMA, they could be taken to court where they face being fined huge sums.

Chief Executive Andrea Coscelli said: ‘We urge retailers to behave responsibly throughout the coronavirus outbreak and not to make misleading claims or charge vastly inflated prices. We also remind members of the public that these obligations may apply to them too if they resell goods, for example on online marketplaces.’

Several high street chains have been limiting purchases of hand sanitisers to two per customer, while others have also pledged to keep prices low, despite reports of manufacturers increasing their prices. But for those who don’t, CMA Chairman Lord Tyrie said there would be tough consequences. He said; ‘We will do whatever we can to act against rip-offs and misleading claims, using any or all of our tools; and where we can’t act, we’ll advise government on further steps they could take, if necessary.’

Keep the receipt, you could get a refund.

The competition watchdog has threatened legal action and fines against traders and retailers who try to take advantage of the coronavirus outbreak by selling protective products at inflated prices. The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) said they are considering asking the government to introduce prince controls after Amazon and EBay sellers took advantage of supply shortages and flogged hand sanitiser and toilet roll for hundreds of pounds. The CMA will consider any evidence that companies may have broken competition or consumer protection law by charging excessive prices or making misleading claims about the effectiveness of products to fight off the disease. Companies have been fined millions for breaking consumer laws in the past. If businesses ignore warnings from the CMA, they could be taken to court where they face being fined huge sums.

Chief Executive Andrea Coscelli said: ‘We urge retailers to behave responsibly throughout the coronavirus outbreak and not to make misleading claims or charge vastly inflated prices. We also remind members of the public that these obligations may apply to them too if they resell goods, for example on online marketplaces.’

Several high street chains have been limiting purchases of hand sanitisers to two per customer, while others have also pledged to keep prices low, despite reports of manufacturers increasing their prices. But for those who don’t, CMA Chairman Lord Tyrie said there would be tough consequences. He said; ‘We will do whatever we can to act against rip-offs and misleading claims, using any or all of our tools; and where we can’t act, we’ll advise government on further steps they could take, if necessary.’
Wish they’d put price controls on rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back