• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One man had great insight and whilst he was chairman of Gilead Sciences from 1997until 2001 they developed things like Tamiflu......Donald Rumsfeld

The first of these out breaks was in 2003 but of course Donald had moved on to become Secretary of Defence under George W Bush by then.

Luckily he kept his shares and has made a lot of money since.

One man had great insight and whilst he was chairman of Gilead Sciences from 1997until 2001 they developed things like Tamiflu......Donald Rumsfeld

The first of these out breaks was in 2003 but of course Donald had moved on to become Secretary of Defence under George W Bush by then.

Luckily he kept his shares and has made a lot of money since.
Hmmm. 2+2 doesnt always make 5 you know. He recused himself from any decisions around US involvement in Tamiflu recommendations, and now, it's not only being seen as not very effective but there's generic versions.

Hmmm. 2+2 doesnt always make 5 you know. He recused himself from any decisions around US involvement in Tamiflu recommendations, and now, it's not only being seen as not very effective but there's generic versions.

In the same way Dick Cheney did with Halliburton. Its difficult to ignore 2+2 if the answer is 4.

Congress appropriate billions and then an extra $1 billion just for Tamiflu the shares went from $7 to $50 and Rumsfeld pockets $25m......Nice if you can 'rescue' yourself from such conflict of interest.

Last edited:
In the same way Dick Cheney did with Halliburton. Its difficult to ignore 2+2 if the answer is 4.

Congress appropriate billions and then an extra $1 billion just for Tamiflu the shares went from $7 to $50 and Rumsfeld pocket $25m......Nice if you can 'rescue' yourself from such conflict of interest.

Yeah maybe but I think Rumsfeld was just coincidence.

Haliburton is a whole different beast.

Surgical masks are not the answer. They are too porous but better than nothing.
The virus is easily spread into eye, nose and mouth, like any other virus. So, wash/sanitise hands regularly is a decent idea. Holding your breath for a fortnight works in theory!

Pubey, you are citing two incidents which pharma companies are to do some time, maybe, IN THE FUTURE so at present they are thinking about it?
They would be unlikely to openly declare a "sit and wait" policy?
How does that make my post rubbish?

It is about money and trialing any parallel drug is a cost effective use.
Please try and be factual and at present what do your contacts tell you IS happening, or they have done, in the several weeks so far, or would that be not a lot and left it for the WHO and Uni research?
And it is unusual for you to be rude? Bad Friday?
You stated that pharma are doing nothing to support vaccine development. I can only share information that's in the public domain. You'll have to take my word that pharma companies right now are investing time, effort and money into COVID-19 research, including for vaccine development and for COVID-19 treatment.

In the public domain you can see that Gilead have received a rapid IND filing from the FDA to enable them to launch two multinational Ph3 studies of remdesivir in the treatment of COVID-19.

The press release states that Gilead have donated drug and provided scientific input for other ongoing national studies in China and the US, and that remdesivir is being provided on a compassionate use basis outside of the studies mentioned above.

https://www.gilead.com/news-and-pre...iral-remdesivir-for-the-treatment-of-covid-19

Sanofi are supporting research for a vaccine:

https://www.biospace.com/article/sanofi-to-work-with-barda-on-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine/

Pubey, you can quote open public publicity statements as you wish, and it is all very sweet and lovely but not very factual or more than a "mission statement " from them.
And, is this the same Sanofi which had big issues with their, this winter, flu vaccine, that caused a minor crisis in the NHS through shortage and non updated innoculations?
And similar happened with other companies as they are under research funded, profit making and always behind the "game".
Please, (and I won't name my sources;), take my posts, read them and consider that maybe the pharma companies are not being ideologically front footing and full steam ahead on this at present. When governments pay them to do direct, new research they might change, and charge for it.

Of course we can trust any scientific research especially from such world-renowned people like the MIT...Anyone who is anyone is connected to them. They have founded companies which turnover $1.9 trillion per year.......If they were a country they would be the 10th largest economy in the world......Of course anyone who says with that much power they will abuse it and they can control the media, politicians and the police in order to cover it up..... Is a tin foil hat wearing conspiracy freak

Now look up the plutonium files....Don't be scared just the first page of Wikipedia.

The first thing your are thinking is why have I never heard of this, surely someone would have said something?

Now do you believe everything your are told?

Pubey, you can quote open public publicity statements as you wish, and it is all very sweet and lovely but not very factual or more than a "mission statement " from them.
I'm not in marketing but would imagine that a press release for a publicly traded company is pretty factual. The trials are registered and happening. The FDA filing has been confirmed.

And, is this the same Sanofi which had big issues with their, this winter, flu vaccine, that caused a minor crisis in the NHS through shortage and non updated innoculations?
And similar happened with other companies as they are under research funded, profit making and always behind the "game".
yes
Please, (and I won't name my sources;), take my posts, read them and consider that maybe the pharma companies are not being ideologically front footing and full steam ahead on this at present. When governments pay them to do direct, new research they might change, and charge for it.
I've never said that, you're twisting words because you've been called out. Pharma companies are profit driven businesses, they aren't incentivised to provide the public goods that vaccines are, and they aren't interested in general in developing treatments for acute conditions which has a very uncertain and changing market size. This is what I stated in my original post.

However, as I've repeatedly said - they are doing a lot of work behind the scenes and some of that is in the public domain now, to support efforts in tackling the COVID-19 situation.

I'm not in marketing but would imagine that a press release for a publicly traded company is pretty factual. The trials are registered and happening. The FDA filing has been confirmed.

yes

I've never said that, you're twisting words because you've been called out. Pharma companies are profit driven businesses, they aren't incentivised to provide the public goods that vaccines are, and they aren't interested in general in developing treatments for acute conditions which has a very uncertain and changing market size. This is what I stated in my original post.

However, as I've repeatedly said - they are doing a lot of work behind the scenes and some of that is in the public domain now, to support efforts in tackling the COVID-19 situation.

Maybe so, but what a coup for any company that can produce a vaccine. Their share prices will rocket. Potentially they'll make millions from it, and their goodwill will be sky high. I suspect they're doing more than they let on

BTW, don't bother with hand sanitisers. They won't work. They don't contain enough alcohol to kill the virus nor do people use enough when they do bother.

BTW, don't bother with hand sanitisers. They won't work. They don't contain enough alcohol to kill the virus nor do people use enough when they do bother.

What amazes me is that I still see people leave the toilets at work without washing their hands. What's the point the rest of us doing so when we have to use the same door handles and finger print readers as them?

What amazes me is that I still see people leave the toilets at work without washing their hands. What's the point the rest of us doing so when we have to use the same door handles and finger print readers as them?

Yep me too. Let's face it, its coming.

Rubbish. Most contain the necessary amount of alcohol. Using alcohol hand sanitiser is a good alternative to washing with soap and water when you’re out and about.
Not sure where all this misinformation is coming from

Rubbish. Most contain the necessary amount of alcohol. Using alcohol hand sanitiser is a good alternative to washing with soap and water when you’re out and about.
Not sure where all this misinformation is coming from

A medical professional on Twitter (Dr. Helen Wall).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back