• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
UK predicted to be worst hit nation in Europe with 66k deaths by August. Deaths to peak at around 3k a day...

UK predicted to be worst hit nation in Europe with 66k deaths by August. Deaths to peak at around 3k a day...

Looking at their current death figures, & us having a bigger population than France & Italy (and more closely condensed in inner city areas), I wouldn't be overly surprised by that statement.

I truly hope your post is way off the mark, but i really struggle to see why it wouldn't be. (well 3k is defo top end but 2K a day, is possible at peak)..... France today had over 1,400... So why not us?.. and we were late to the game.

The government said we would hit peak around Easter and the next week beyond..... All we can do is "lets see".

Last edited:
This “information” comes to you courtesy of the Daily Mail and the University of Washington, who have not factored the Nightingale hospital among others into their modelling.

Looking at their current death figures, & us having a bigger population than France & Italy (and more closely condensed in inner city areas), I wouldn't be overly surprised by that statement.

I truly hope your post is way off the mark, but i really struggle to see why it wouldn't be. (well 3k is defo top end but 2K a day, is possible at peak).

The goverment said we would hit peak around Easter and the next week beyond..... All we can do is "lets see".
the government have been slightly revising their views. Now we're 3/4 weeks behind Italy who appear they might just be past their peak. So we could still be up to 3 weeks away, and that's just an estimate.

So what do people think. At least another 3 weeks from Easter Monday of the current soft lockdown or a hard lockdown?

I saw more groups of people wandering down my street today than ever before, I seriously think people are starting to come back out again having been bored for 2 weeks

I saw more groups of people wandering down my street today than ever before, I seriously think people are starting to come back out again having been bored for 2 weeks
Might be that more people are around due to it being easter holidays, and more and more business are fuloughing (is that a verb?)

It's still very quiet up our way, which is good.

Might be that more people are around due to it being easter holidays, and more and more business are fuloughing (is that a verb?)

It's still very quiet up our way, which is good.
These weren’t family groups I’m afraid more groups of lads !

So what do people think. At least another 3 weeks from Easter Monday of the current soft lockdown or a hard lockdown?
I would guess at least that yes.

I keep being told to trust the chief medical & science officers, trust the models etc. but to go from a hurd immunity strategy what was that a month ago to then completely do a 180 a few days later and then adopt a social distancing strategy worried me a lot and I don't think that got as much scrutiny as it should have. It was a huge U Turn.

To see sources saying we might be worst hit in Europe doesn't surprise me unfortunately.

I would guess at least that yes.

I keep being told to trust the chief medical & science officers, trust the models etc. but to go from a hurd immunity strategy what was that a month ago to then completely do a 180 a few days later and then adopt a social distancing strategy worried me a lot and I don't think that got as much scrutiny as it should have. It was a huge U Turn.

To see sources saying we might be worst hit in Europe doesn't surprise me unfortunately.
I think Sweden are still trying the herd immunity approach, no social distancing in place shops, bars etc all still open.
Obviously not a very highly populated country it may work better there. My Swedish friend is not so sure.

I'm going hard lockdown starting in the next two weeks. So many not taking it seriously. Locally in Shoebury and Priory Parks. Sunbathing, picnics and playing football. Hyde park was mobbed one sunny day last week, and another park in South London had over 3000 that they had to disperse and lock the gates. People are not keeping their distance, and touching things like hand rails and park benches with bare hands. That can't go on. All parks should be shut and be off limits, for a start.

Krishnan Guru-Murthy:

DoH says 786 new UK Covid 19 deaths in 24 hrs to 5pm Monday. NHS England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland figures to 2pm today total 854. But after latest ONS revelations is all likely to be MUCH higher - possibly double that.

I think Sweden are still trying the herd immunity approach, no social distancing in place shops, bars etc all still open.
Obviously not a very highly populated country it may work better there. My Swedish friend is not so sure.

Nor's my English friend in Sweden.

The worrying thing about that Grauniad article (for me) was that it was predicting terrible figures for the UK in August.

Bonkers. Just seen on the BBC that the football league is continuing in Belarus, despite the virus spreading across the country. So live games. live coverage. Although some fans wear masks. The barmy president said there is nothing to worry about, and totally playing down this deadly virus. A mixed reaction from fans, as some are staying away, and some are saying they need to support the clubs and the players.

Nor's my English friend in Sweden.

The worrying thing about that Grauniad article (for me) was that it was predicting terrible figures for the UK in August.
On what basis a 2nd wave ?
Apart from China has any other country started to come out the other side yet.Again mistakes will be made but hopefully the UK will follow the most successful models.
Doesn't help that so many countries use different different methods of recording so difficult to get a clear picture

I walked through Hockley woods yesterday and a lot of teenagers loitering or walking around. Obviously they aren't from the same family. One couple passed me and made not attempt to single file as we passed. And I had to inhale her cigarette smoke to boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back