• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, got in the queue to shop at Iceland in Rayleigh today and there was a bloke a few people ahead in the queue who kept coughing. Made no attempt to put his hand up or use the scarf he was wearing to cover his face. May have been a smokers cough who knows but after the third bout I didn't take any chances and went home without my shopping ! I was far enough back in the queue not to be too worried but didn't want to be in the shop at the same time as him.

In the sport of boxing, we have a saying....

‘Protect yourself at all times’.

Never has that phrase been more prevalent than right now.

London’s R rate at 0.4 and only getting 24 new cases a day which is declining... has it burnt out in the city?? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/14/london-has-just-24-new-coronavirus-cases-day/
It’s amazing the sharp decline in cases, hospital admissions and deaths in London given how crowded it is. I have to drive round London a couple of times a week and whilst people are clearly trying to distance there’s no doubt high streets, parks and open spaces have been very busy even since the start of restrictions being put in place. It gives hope that the relaxation of some of the rules won’t lead to problems. Maybe outdoor stuff isn’t such a problem ?

It’s amazing the sharp decline in cases, hospital admissions and deaths in London given how crowded it is. I have to drive round London a couple of times a week and whilst people are clearly trying to distance there’s no doubt high streets, parks and open spaces have been very busy even since the start of restrictions being put in place. It gives hope that the relaxation of some of the rules won’t lead to problems. Maybe outdoor stuff isn’t such a problem ?

Maybe this immunity thing is how it works? Lots more people have had the virus with no symptoms, maybe?

The other extraordinary stat coming out of that article is that in round numbers over 65’s account for less than 10% of infections but the overwhelming number of deaths. Under 50’s without underlying health conditions could pretty much get on with life on the basis of the stats.

The other extraordinary stat coming out of that article is that in round numbers over 65’s account for less than 10% of infections but the overwhelming number of deaths. Under 50’s without underlying health conditions could pretty much get on with life on the basis of the stats.
I guess its how our bodies work. At any given time our bodies are full of different bacteria and viruses that we pass on all the time and build up an immunity from. I'm now thinking about the ending of war of the worlds!

Whilst teachers don't have any PPE.

BTW: my neice and sister-in-law are primary school teachers: they've worked every day so far and I don't think either of them have complained...or worn PPE.
Apparently they're saying they don't need PPE. PPE should be for when you're dealing with different people all the time but the school system will be like their own 'bubble' of teacher and small number of pupils and pupils won't mix with other children outside of this bubble.

It was worked quite well in Denmark I believe.

I'm not saying this is right but this is the argument from the Government of no PPE for teachers.

Apparently they're saying they don't need PPE. PPE should be for when you're dealing with different people all the time but the school system will be like their own 'bubble' of teacher and small number of pupils and pupils won't mix with other children outside of this bubble.

It was worked quite well in Denmark I believe.

I'm not saying this is right but this is the argument from the Government of no PPE for teachers.

I was on a governors' webinar yesterday. That is not the case. They are, however, saying PPE is desirable, but (for a number of reasons) not practical.

OH! THIS IS SO BEAUTIFULLY FRENCH! (PART 2)
So, my wife has now explained the thinking of L'Académie Française to me and I thought it would be handy for those not wanting to put a foot wrong, when they come to France and spend a couple of weeks in quarantine. :Smile: The logic is this..........Coronavirus is masculine (don't ask why, it's just been decided that it is) Thus we say 'Le Coronavirus.' However when we refer to Covid-19, it is 'La Covid'-19.....................WHY??????????????? Well Covid is understood as COrona VIrus Disease and of course disease in french is maladie.............and maladie is feminine. I hope that's now much clearer, especially for those insanely jealous people who don't have a language as simple as french to deal with! :Smile:

I tell you what, when Parliament fully reopens and Johnson & his cronies can cuddle up closely to each other, then perhaps we can talk about reopening schools eh?

Two dearly loved children is two too many. If the schools fully reopen, at what number of dead children do you deem acceptable to shut the schools again. 5? 10? 100?
There is a much much greater chance of a kid being knocked down and killed outside their school than dying from this virus. Should they not go back to school for fear of an accident?

OH! THIS IS SO BEAUTIFULLY FRENCH! PART 3

Nothing to do with the virus but I was in France in February and witnessed a Peugeot rear end a Volvo.

They owners appeared to exchange details but the vehicles were stuck together. The Peugeot driver walked off, presumably to find help. Whilst he was gone the Volvo driver got a battery angle grinder out of his car, cut the Peugeot away and then drove off.

OH! THIS IS SO BEAUTIFULLY FRENCH! PART 3

Nothing to do with the virus but I was in France in February and witnessed a Peugeot rear end a Volvo.

They owners appeared to exchange details but the vehicles were stuck together. The Peugeot driver walked off, presumably to find help. Whilst he was gone the Volvo driver got a battery angle grinder out of his car, cut the Peugeot away and then drove off.

I suppose you could say that's 'une merde!' (feminine, of course).........especially for the Peugeot owner. :Smile:

Whilst teachers don't have any PPE.

BTW: my neice and sister-in-law are primary school teachers: they've worked every day so far and I don't think either of them have complained...or worn PPE.

Neither do people that work in supermarket but no one cares about them.

There is a much much greater chance of a kid being knocked down and killed outside their school than dying from this virus. Should they not go back to school for fear of an accident?

Whilst that does happen, it’s worth noting that there are several laws and restrictions put into place, in order to minimise the risk of children being knocked outside of their schools.

Can you tell me what restrictions & laws have been put into place, to enable them to go back to school now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back