• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest the whole incident should transcend party loyalties. It's about right & wrong, not right and left. Even the Daily Mail have attacked him & Johnson.
I was thinking exactly the same thing.
Alot of youngsters(and probably elders) could tell you Winston Churchill was PM but not have a clue who he represented.
I’m not saying either of you are right or wrong. But again, a gentle reminder that it’s not about selective politics where one “assumes everyone would be in agreement” - it’s NEVER happened on here so far so it’s unlikely to start now. So it’s all politics.

“Wait, but Cummings....”

Cummings, schmummings.

Guys and girls, I think it has been made pretty clear that this forum and this thread are not for discussion of the politics of anything, including coronavirus. That includes references to past politicians and oblique references which lead to further discussion that would struggle to avoid politics in their replies.

There is a lot to talk about with coronavirus and its’ impact on our community, advances in medicine, adaptations to the lockdown, ways to distract ourselves without footy or our usual social lives and also how we can help each other out in these troubling times. None of that needs to get political - please try a lot harder to not let it.

We will continue to edit our political references, and where this is overly cumbersome we will delete whole posts.

We have asked a million times, so this should not be news to anybody. It’s tough enduring the lack of social activity at the moment for everyone - let’s not spoil one of the few outlets many of us have outside our home and work, eh?

Does anyone know if the NHS Covid 19 app is avaiable outside of the IoW? I thought this morning that TV said that it starts today, but there is nothing in Playstore.

Latest daily death stats in France 88, Italy 70, Spain 1
UK still over 300, a very risky decision by Johnson to ease the lock down even more.

In the role I have, nothing amazes me with social distancing, see a big red truck and the whole street becomes one, no social distancing and despite asking people to stand back, they still huddle like sheep, car cut outs and now becoming the norm and not from the same family

Expectations is a second wave will happen, the financial economy is calling out for industries to start up and repay some of the debt, the only lesson that may have be earned the hard way, is PPE will/should be stocked up, the tracker has no excuse not to be working, and maybe this is not political those promised hospitals will be built
We just about coped first time, god help many if not ready for the second wave

People in England have been flaunting the lockdown rules for weeks, surely if they were going to then the infection rates would’ve shot up already? Not underplaying this, as they say up to 9,000 a day are still catching the virus in the UK. Last I heard the infection rates were lower in London and the South East than they were up North and in the South West. I’d have expected a jump after all the beaches were packed out, going back to VE Day weekend. For what it’s worth I think we should’ve been cautious like Wales and Scotland have .. but in terms of infection rates and hospital admissions are their figures looking much better against ours?

Last edited:
Latest daily death stats in France 88, Italy 70, Spain 1
UK still over 300, a very risky decision by Johnson to ease the lock down even more.

I can't find it now, but I read something earlier today that Italy's and Spain's figures have not been updated in the way ours have. If you're going to compare statistics then they need to be all from the same level of playing field.

A reminder to everyone what Covid -19 is all about.Especially for all Wreckless Eric fans. (Thanks to Rob Noxious for the links).

Last edited:
A reminder to everyone what Covid -19 is all about.Especially for all Wreckless Eric fans. (Thanks to Rob Noxious for the links).

That was a harrowing read, thanks Barna.

People in England have been flaunting the lockdown rules for weeks, surely if they were going to then the infection rates would’ve shot up already? Not underplaying this, as they say up to 9,000 a day are still catching the virus in the UK. Last I heard the infection rates were lower in London and the South East than they were up North and in the South West. I’d have expected a jump after all the beaches were packed out, going back to VE Day weekend. For what it’s worth I think we should’ve been cautious like Wales and Scotland have .. but in terms of infection rates and hospital admissions are their figures looking much better against ours?

In the context of the general public a crowded beach is still a very small minority of the population and they are unlikely to interact much with people not going to the beach so long as they are generally respecting the rules of not going round people's houses, plus as they're outdoors even if someone is infected they'll probably only infect the sunbather next to him rather than an entire room like you'd get in a pub. The people going to beaches are going to increase their personal risk of infection but it's not going to make too much of an impact on the UK wide infections.

Thank you Barna, thanks to Rob I am a late convert to Eric. I remember seeing his records when browsing through the racks in the 70s and 80s but never buying one.

But I did catch his gig in Leeds last year, and apart from a couple of numbers I really enjoyed and hope to see him again.

For some photos from the gig click here

You've probably noticed especially when shopping that people aren't keeping their distance so much. Even in the queues, some people are too close(It won't get them in the supermarket any quicker). Not so many are crossing the road to avoid coming close on a narrow road. Arrows in supermarkets are being ignored. Easing of the lockdown and advice saying one metre is O.K., but just a warning, The Lancet have carried out an intense review on behalf of WHO, and the findings were that 1 metre is not O.K., and that 2 metres is the advice, and halves the risk of infection compared to 1 metre. As expected, they also confirmed that eye protection and face masks reduces the risk of infection.

You've probably noticed especially when shopping that people aren't keeping their distance so much. Even in the queues, some people are too close(It won't get them in the supermarket any quicker). Not so many are crossing the road to avoid coming close on a narrow road. Arrows in supermarkets are being ignored. Easing of the lockdown and advice saying one metre is O.K., but just a warning, The Lancet have carried out an intense review on behalf of WHO, and the findings were that 1 metre is not O.K., and that 2 metres is the advice, and halves the risk of infection compared to 1 metre. As expected, they also confirmed that eye protection and face masks reduces the risk of infection.

Sorry to be picky and I mean no offence! But the study said distancing below 1M was worse than distancing over 1M, it said 2M was better. Although distancing from less than 1M also included distance down to 0M. In essence the closer you are to someone the more risk of transmission( obvious really!) Eye protection and masks do offer protection against droplets but no evidence for protection against aerosols. They did offer concern though that facial protection advice could lead to shortages at the hospitals if joe public went out and bought all the ppe.

Sorry to be picky and I mean no offence! But the study said distancing below 1M was worse than distancing over 1M, it said 2M was better. Although distancing from less than 1M also included distance down to 0M. In essence the closer you are to someone the more risk of transmission( obvious really!) Eye protection and masks do offer protection against droplets but no evidence for protection against aerosols. They did offer concern though that facial protection advice could lead to shortages at the hospitals if joe public went out and bought all the ppe.

They were trying to work out if many countries advice was right with the 1M rule. So they were comparing 1M to 2M. Not less than 1M and over 1M. The conclusion was 2M is the correct advice. They also said 2M isn't safe, but twice as safe as 1M. They said obviously the further you are from people, the better. Don't shoot the messenger. Loads of articles out there about it, although some papers that advised 1M even on their front page, have been a bit dismissive, rather than admit they gave out the wrong advice.

They were trying to work out if many countries advice was right with the 1M rule. So they were comparing 1M to 2M. Not less than 1M and over 1M. The conclusion was 2M is the correct advice. They also said 2M isn't safe, but twice as safe as 1M. They said obviously the further you are from people, the better. Don't shoot the messenger. Loads of articles out there about it, although some papers that advised 1M even on their front page, have been a bit dismissive, rather than admit they gave out the wrong advice.
we will agree to disagree on this one , but in the discussion on the study they quoted

'The findings of this systematic review of 172 studies (44 comparative studies; n=25 697 patients) on COVID-19, SARS, and MERS provide the best available evidence that current policies of at least 1 m physical distancing are associated with a large reduction in infection, and distances of 2 m might be more effective.'

Don't think it matters whether 1m or 2m in my experience it's not people don't understand distance!
There's far too many ignorant idiots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back