• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, let’s put the fear of God into the already paranoid by wheeling out the old “packed beaches” pics. I do wish they’d have a media blackout at times like this. There’s no evidence that mixing outdoors in this fashion will send the infection rate soaring. For purposes of balance here was my stretch of beach earlier, about 11am. Nothing stopping the majority being sensible.
1786C74D-A1DE-4056-B178-9F6EA90895CB.jpeg

Yup, let’s put the fear of God into the already paranoid by wheeling out the old “packed beaches” pics. I do wish they’d have a media blackout at times like this. There’s no evidence that mixing outdoors in this fashion will send the infection rate soaring. For purposes of balance here was my stretch of beach earlier, about 11am. Nothing stopping the majority being sensible.
View attachment 12363

I’m no virologist, but I can’t imagine too many of them seeing the images of packed beaches during a global pandemic, and thinking it was all hunky dory ??‍♂️

View attachment 12363
Because of the nature of most of our beaches (predominately shingle and lumpy) people tend to congregate where it is mostly sandy. There are large stretches going towards Thorpe Bay that fall into the lumpy variety so I guess it depends where you look. Two days ago I parked up in the parking bays by Thorpe Bay tennis club waiting for my wife in the dentist's chair. The expanse of grass behind me was packed with folk having picnics and closer together than the recommended gaps.

I’m no virologist, but I can’t imagine too many of them seeing the images of packed beaches during a global pandemic, and thinking it was all hunky dory ??‍♂️
No, the scientists would have us back in full lockdown tomorrow and it would be irresponsible of them to suggest anything like this was ok. Their sole consideration is public health. People have been failing to socially distance and flouting the rules for weeks .. seeing family and friends, mixing in groups .. and the figures have been going down along with chances of infection.
I’m not suggesting common sense should go out the window and that we should all rush to the beach, just playing devils advocate and offering a sense of perspective. Outside the risks are lower and this is a minority of people. Agreed it doesn’t look great.

I would suggest they bring out the water cannons, but that may not be much of a deterrent in this weather

Still reckon the army should have been deployed n some of the recent appalling scenes.

No, the scientists would have us back in full lockdown tomorrow and it would be irresponsible of them to suggest anything like this was ok. Their sole consideration is public health. People have been failing to socially distance and flouting the rules for weeks .. seeing family and friends, mixing in groups .. and the figures have been going down along with chances of infection.
I’m not suggesting common sense should go out the window and that we should all rush to the beach, just playing devils advocate and offering a sense of perspective. Outside the risks are lower and this is a minority of people. Agreed it doesn’t look great.

Frankly, Covid or no Covid, if I saw a beach as packed as that, I think I’d give it a swerve.

Still reckon the army should have been deployed n some of the recent appalling scenes.

That’s a slippery slope though. If you bring the army in to control potential flashpoints of disruption, then what stops the government using them for other things, such as overcrowding on public beaches, or controlling large groups of football fans, or the Boxing Day Sales mob mobs that ravage Primark & Next?

Sadly, the issue in this country is the old bill & their punishments aren’t much of a deterrent anymore. But adding the army into the mix, isn’t the answer either.

Still, 90 minutes of root canal must be preferable to 90 minutes of Roots Hall?

?
I've just asked her that. Apart from the fact that the pun was totally lost on her, she said "tell the nice young man I'd rather have been at Roots Hall". Obviously, from her response you can guess that I hadn't described you in any detail. :Winking:

That’s a slippery slope though. If you bring the army in to control potential flashpoints of disruption, then what stops the government using them for other things, such as overcrowding on public beaches, or controlling large groups of football fans, or the Boxing Day Sales mob mobs that ravage Primark & Next?

Sadly, the issue in this country is the old bill & their punishments aren’t much of a deterrent anymore. But adding the army into the mix, isn’t the answer either.

It does all fall down in the courts with just a slap on the risk handed out for most things.

From what I understand the Spanish army equivalent policed their lock down and nobody stepped out of line.

I've just asked her that. Apart from the fact that the pun was totally lost on her, she said "tell the nice young man I'd rather have been at Roots Hall". Obviously, from her response you can guess that I hadn't described you in any detail. :Winking:

Hahaha I’ve been called many things, but never that.

It does all fall down in the courts with just a slap on the risk handed out for most things.

From what I understand the Spanish army equivalent policed their lock down and nobody stepped out of line.

Not sure how familiar you are with Spain, but I know our resident Padrón @Tangled up in Blue will testify that the Spanish authorities - especially La Guardia Civil - don’t **** about ?

Test them at your own peril.

You’d be surprised how much the armed forces (it’s not just the army you know) get dragged into this stuff. I know there was lots of ops already in the planning for situations. They were going to be called in as a very last resort. Just like if things kicked off over the thing that cannot be mentioned. I have been privy to some of these as I have had to be on 24hr standby to cover for the armed police units. If they got deployed I would have to cover them. The armed forces are always involved in these situations just sometimes you don’t see them as much as you think. Take the Olympics they had to come to the rescue because of G4S **** up!

What people were hoping for was martial law! That would have caused pandemonium! The answer could’ve been easily solved by having more strict and worthwhile punishments for breaking the rules. £600 fine instead of £60 but £30 of you paid it within 2 weeks.

Reactions: GBJ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back