• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, there is some data emerging that it will stop you catching the virus, or may benefit viral load/severity.

The issue/failure of mask messaging was to say it may not help you but will help others. Unfortunately, a lot of people are inherently selfish and so that message doesn't really resonate. If people were told sooner than it'll stop them from getting the virus, then perhaps we'd have seen better compliance.

That is interesting. Thanks for the update.

I also agree that if people were told wearing a mask will help them then there almost certainly have been a better adherence. However, now we have the problem that people will refuse to believe the new data...mixed messages are never good even in instances such as this where the message changes with the data.

Last edited:
But surely, if a mask will possibly reduce the chances of you passing on the virus then it must also reduce the chances of you getting the virus if you don't have it? For every action there is a reaction they say.

I think this area of discussion has been superseded since Pubey's update...

How many people here were wearing one before they were mandatory, then? How many of you wash them regularly?

And here's an article which may be of interest: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...arch-shows-stop-just-seven-cent-bacteria.html
I was, and so was my wife. As for washing them, we have two coverings a piece and they are washed after every wear. Both have filter inserts that last for 5 wearings. On the off chance that we forget a mask we carry a pack of surgical masks in the car.

I think this is an interesting website - gives probabilities of being hospitalised, ICU, death from Covid based on various metrics. Looks like it is US, Canada or Germany at the moment - I just stuck a random zipcode (46123) in - I've done it a couple of times with different zipcodes and it doesn't seem to make much difference. I have a pretty low risk of death 0.17% but I have a 1 in 20 (5%) chance of being hospitalised.

I only put in my DOB, height, weight, sex, waist, non-smoker - I left the other metrics blank

All kicking off in Basildon today for the silly anti covid protest. Moaning about loss of freedom and the wearing of masks, etc. So far, 12 arrested and 7 fines given. Most protesters have gone home now.

• Angry
Reactions: ESG
All kicking off in Basildon today for the silly anti covid protest. Moaning about loss of freedom and the wearing of masks, etc. So far, 12 arrested and 7 fines given. Most protesters have gone home now.

Selfish a*******s in so many ways!

The police have enough to do on very limited resources without that.

That situation is a time for the army, battons and water cannons!

Selfish a*******s in so many ways!

The police have enough to do on very limited resources without that.

That situation is a time for the army, battons and water cannons!

So people don't even have the right to protest anymore? Another basic freedom being taken away from us. These protests were peaceful - the police didn't respond in this heavy-handed way to the countless Black Lives Matter demos over the summer, which had far bigger numbers.

Quite frankly, people have put up with these draconian restrictions on our lives for long enough. Good on these people for standing up to it. It doesn't make them "selfish", they may have lost their jobs, may be struggling financially, mentally, you don't know.

Of course people have the right and the freedom to protest. If they stood or walked apart, there wouldn't have been a problem. But they didn't stand apart, which put the police in a position, as they are meant to follow rules and guidelines and enforce the lockdown, most didn't have masks, and some threw stuff and attacked the police. To make it worse, there was the odd banner saying stuff like...Covid is fake.

I don't know if any former WHSB pupils remember Tony Gerschlick. He went on to be Professor of Cardiology at Leicester Uni and was the first heart surgeon to fit a stent in this country. A real heavy hitter in the medical world. He has just died aged 69 of Covid.

Of course people have the right and the freedom to protest. If they stood or walked apart, there wouldn't have been a problem. But they didn't stand apart, which put the police in a position, as they are meant to follow rules and guidelines and enforce the lockdown, most didn't have masks, and some threw stuff and attacked the police. To make it worse, there was the odd banner saying stuff like...Covid is fake.
This. Just because you have the right to protest doesn't mean you should use it during the worst pandemic for 100 years.

According to today's Echo the infection rate in Southend has doubled during this lock down. Bad news but unsurprising. Yesterday in Southchurch Park the Cafe was open supposedly for take away service only but people were sitting in the cafes outside seating area being served with chips, drinks etc. The area was full with people all seated in a confined space. All a bit concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back