• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Equally funny is how people who drove past their local Church/Mosque or Synagogue and seeing it closed......They assume every other place in the country is also closed.

I have heard of one well known local 'drinkers' pub that is still allowing the regulars in via the back door.....This is directly from one of their customers. Not facebook or twitter before anyone gets upset.

Not everyone, regardless of race or religion is observing the rules/guidance. Rather than cheap point scoring over past politics we should all agree that if we are asking NHS and emergency staff to put themselves and their families as risk, then this is wrong.....Even just out of respect for them its wrong

My information about the monastery in Sant Cugat being closed for religous services comes not from walking or driving passed it but from the local free weekly magazine Tot Sant Cugat.

I understand that in Spain (at least) those modern churches the banks are still open.I'll find out tomorrow.The local post office (correos) was this morning. :Winking:

Looking at the numbers here:

How have Germany managed to keep their death toll to such a low number. The amount of cases they have is huge but so far they have only lost about 1% of people. We should be looking at what they’re doing and following suit.

Adminstering half a million tests on the German population is almost certainly a huge factor.

Yep, I'm with you on this rigsby. I've called out everyone that is going out and meeting up, for whatever reason, whether that be religious reasons, for recreation, or because they are bored at home. At Belfairs golf course, people are still playing golf, even tho it is closed and they have removed the pins. At the moment, we have a bit of leeway, but if people keep taking the p, then total lockdown will come sooner rather than later.

What I've seen, admittedly only on a daily 1hr30m bike ride, is that as time has gone on there has been much more respect given for these instructions.

Fewer cars on the road and fewer people walking around. Those that are often wait or move to the other side of the road to make sure they can be at least 2m away.

There will always be idiots that think they are above it, but it's the same with football fans and SUFC has a fair few of them around too.

I'm hopeful that the majority are all doing their bit and that the idiots will learn quickly or face punishment.

I thought the homeless had all been effectively put into somewhere where they could be safe - was a bit confused seeing three outside Tesco Pitsea today when I popped in to get some bits we'd run out of (cereal and veg) while collecting my parents' click and collect order.

Funny enough .. I’ve not seen the few (I assumed homeless) fellas who sat outside the CoOp and the Tesco in Leigh for months. Almost like they’d been told to move on ...

Social distancing here has been pretty well observed, walked to Chalkwell Park this morn and the few people we saw kept their distance. Crossed the road to avoid a couple. Like my son said, was like a computer game, avoiding the zombies.

How have Germany managed to keep their death toll to such a low number. The amount of cases they have is huge but so far they have only lost about 1% of people. We should be looking at what they’re doing and following suit.

I understand they have, like South Korea, been aggressive with the testing which allows tracing and isolation.

Asian countries have generally fared much better - I wonder to what extent this is because of past pandemic experience with SARS and being quicker to react, wear masks etc and what to do with cultural factors such as not so readily flouting government advice.

Funny enough .. I’ve not seen the few (I assumed homeless) fellas who sat outside the CoOp and the Tesco in Leigh for months. Almost like they’d been told to move on ...

Social distancing here has been pretty well observed, walked to Chalkwell Park this morn and the few people we saw kept their distance. Crossed the road to avoid a couple. Like my son said, was like a computer game, avoiding the zombies.

Yes, most people are definitely getting the message, and are crossing the road, or just keeping their distance as I am, which is great. Some supermarkets are making adjustments for the better. Asda have the one way arrows in every isle, excellent. Some need to make more adjustments. On the greyhound estate, Grainger Road, the Lidl plastic baskets are still absolutely filthy and never seem to be cleaned or disinfected, disgusting. No arrows and narrow isles meaning everyone just walks past each other, very bad. At the tills, they have a perspex screen to protect the till workers, and they wear disposable gloves, excellent. At Iceland, no one way isle arrows, no protective screen, and no gloves for the till workers. All the supermarkets mentioned have someone at the entrance to limit people.

Yes, most people are definitely getting the message, and are crossing the road, or just keeping their distance as I am, which is great. Some supermarkets are making adjustments for the better. Asda have the one way arrows in every isle, excellent. Some need to make more adjustments. On the greyhound estate, Grainger Road, the Lidl plastic baskets are still absolutely filthy and never seem to be cleaned or disinfected, disgusting. No arrows and narrow isles meaning everyone just walks past each other, very bad. At the tills, they have a perspex screen to protect the till workers, and they wear disposable gloves, excellent. At Iceland, no one way isle arrows, no protective screen, and no gloves for the till workers. All the supermarkets mentioned have someone at the entrance to limit people.
Yeah same with the CoOp and Tesco here, as in people on the door and one in one out. Inside the stores people staying apart mainly (if not I move quickly away). CoOp staff are wearing masks and gloves now, in Tesco they just tell you to back up from the counter!

I understand they have, like South Korea, been aggressive with the testing which allows tracing and isolation.

Asian countries have generally fared much better - I wonder to what extent this is because of past pandemic experience with SARS and being quicker to react, wear masks etc and what to do with cultural factors such as not so readily flouting government advice.

This

I think I heard this right yesterday (on the box, me in the next room) that they'd only a very short while ago had a civil exercise for situations just like this and identified possible grey areas and responded accordingly. Whilst they're still expecting many fatalities, they're hoping to limit them as best they can with what they learnt. They were/are just being their usual efficient selves....

Huge thanks to Castle Point Borough Council who have sent out their annual taxi licensing plate bills to the drivers asking for the full amount (£300) in May, with no option to defer or pay in installments. Very kind and understanding of them.....not!

What I've seen, admittedly only on a daily 1hr30m bike ride, is that as time has gone on there has been much more respect given for these instructions.

Fewer cars on the road and fewer people walking around. Those that are often wait or move to the other side of the road to make sure they can be at least 2m away.

There will always be idiots that think they are above it, but it's the same with football fans and SUFC has a fair few of them around too.

I'm hopeful that the majority are all doing their bit and that the idiots will learn quickly or face punishment.

I went for a walk late last week and nearly everyone got out of my way, and me out of their's. There was one guy, however who proved to be a prize idiot. We were walking towards eachother on the pavement, the length of a bus stop apart. The bus stop was cut into the pavement, and the pavement went round it. So, being responsible I walked straight, which meant I was walking in the bus stop. He did keep to the pavement, but managed to be as far towards the bus stop as it was possible to get so that we were only about 2 feet apart. Needless to say I had a word with him along the lines of, "don't worry, I'll walk into the road. I just carry on..."

More fool them then:

BBC

I went for a walk late last week and nearly everyone got out of my way, and me out of their's. There was one guy, however who proved to be a prize idiot. We were walking towards eachother on the pavement, the length of a bus stop apart. The bus stop was cut into the pavement, and the pavement went round it. So, being responsible I walked straight, which meant I was walking in the bus stop. He did keep to the pavement, but managed to be as far towards the bus stop as it was possible to get so that we were only about 2 feet apart. Needless to say I had a word with him along the lines of, "don't worry, I'll walk into the road. I just carry on..."

More fool them then:

BBC

Not really.Apparently most face masks tend to protect other people from your own coughs/sneezes while they don't actually offer any immunity from theirs.Granted they do look rather unappealing (to Westen eyes)!

Not really.Apparently most face masks tend to protect other people from your own coughs/sneezes while they don't actually offer any immunity from theirs.Granted they do look rather unappealing (to Westen eyes)!
Thinking about that logically, if you were to sneeze when wearing your face mask and you had a cold, that would be both very messy and ruin the mask. Yeuk!

I just heard a care home owner saying they have 25 elderly residents and that she spends £1500 a week on food and essentials with Tesco. 4 of the elderly have tested positive. She can't get a delivery spot for love nor money. So has to keep going back and forward to Tesco, as they have strictly placed a maximum 3 of everything on her, even tho she's explained over and over, it's for a care home, and for the very vulnerable. Surely care homes should be priority for home delivery, and supermarkets could work something out with them.

I just heard a care home owner saying they have 25 elderly residents and that she spends £1500 a week on food and essentials with Tesco. 4 of the elderly have tested positive. She can't get a delivery spot for love nor money. So has to keep going back and forward to Tesco, as they have strictly placed a maximum 3 of everything on her, even tho she's explained over and over, it's for a care home, and for the very vulnerable. Surely care homes should be priority for home delivery, and supermarkets could work something out with them.

Most care homes that I know of in Benfleet have deliveries of food from Brake Brothers and other similar suppliers, or use Costco or Makro, I find it surprising that this one seems to be suffering in this way?

Most care homes that I know of in Benfleet have deliveries of food from Brake Brothers and other similar suppliers, or use Costco or Makro, I find it surprising that this one seems to be suffering in this way?

It was on the BBC. The care home was in Derbyshire somewhere. She said she spends something like £80,000 a year with Tesco. She just wants the same delivery as always, which is what they need to survive.

Thats the fee for just one resident in some homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back