• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I walked through Hockley woods yesterday and a lot of teenagers loitering or walking around. Obviously they aren't from the same family. One couple passed me and made not attempt to single file as we passed. And I had to inhale her cigarette smoke to boot!
Yes, lots of them going about in groups around Prittlewell too; and being fairly unpleasant & cocky with a general "I don't give a ****" attitude.
Once again their parents need to be taken to the Fines School of Learning.

Question for all you 5G experts. Is it true that Israel will only be having a fibre optic version despite being involved in the development?

5G is NOT delivered over fibre optic, per se, fibre is only a small part of a 5G network; as it is of any other current mobile phone network, I'll try and explain.

Where the fibre optic comes in is that the fibre is the high speed, high bandwidth backhaul connection from the masts to the mobile operators core network. As 5G transmission is at very low power and travels less well than previous Generations it requires more masts/transmitters to fill in the 'not spots', gaps in the coverage, therefore a need for more fibre optic cables for the backhauls in certain places.
In old wired technology parlance if you think of the cable from the telephone pole to the exchange that carries all the circuits connected to that pole then that cable is that pole's 'backhaul'. The dropwire that goes from the pole to your house and to your landline phone is the equivalent to the wireless connection between your mobile and the local mast.

Your mobile phone is basically a radio transceiver capable of transmitting and receiving voice and data. The clever bit about mobile technology is that a call or data transmission can switch seamlessly between cells as you move around.

5G is the wireless coding and protocol for transmitting from the mast to the handset/device. Just as 4G and 3G are now.
As 2G transmission speed was quicker than GSM, and 3G quicker than 2G, and 4G was quicker than 3G, so 5G will be quicker than 4G.

Each Generation (G) has got cleverer and cleverer at squeezing quarts into pint pots, radio spectrum bandwidth is very expensive there is only a finite amount, a bit like land, you can't make any more of it; you may remember the bidding auctions for the mobile phone bands some years back and the eye watering sums that were paid, and the Government were happy to pocket for the operating licences.
A short while ago you may remember that everybody had to migrate from UHF TV to Digital Freeview and even more recently some retuning of Freeview was needed, that was so the radio spectrum they used could be sold off with new operating licences. That round of auctions for three bands in the spectrum in 2018 raised in excess of £1.3bn for HMG, the original auction for 3G spectrum raised £22.5bn in 2000 ,serious money for thin air!

In the Southend area Virgin are laying some more fibre, I believe that is for their network improvement rather than 5G backhaul, they don't do an awful lot of backhaul stuff.
The other operator you will see laying fibre is City Fibre who are providing a Fibre To The Home (FTTH) network for high speed broadband across Southend where the fibre comes right into your home not to a local street cabinet and then copper to your house, Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC). This will be an up to 1Gb service.

The advantage of FTTH over FTTC is that services over FTTH are the same upload speed as they are down, full duplex working, a great boon for gamers and video-conferencing.
Some of you will currently be video-conferencing from home and you will notice some people on the call will appear to move slowly or freeze momentarily, that is because their upload speed of their video can only be as quick as their broadband upload speed which is always far slower than the download speed. It's OK watching HD download quality but when you've only got black and white 405 line quality upload...

Also on FTTH the suppliers can virtually guarantee that the speed they sell you is what you will get, FTTC always has an attenuation caused by the physics of copper cable, that's why everyone gets a different speed.

Hope that helps explain a bit.

5G is NOT delivered over fibre optic, per se, fibre is only a small part of a 5G network; as it is of any other current mobile phone network, I'll try and explain.

Where the fibre optic comes in is that the fibre is the high speed, high bandwidth backhaul connection from the masts to the mobile operators core network. As 5G transmission is at very low power and travels less well than previous Generations it requires more masts/transmitters to fill in the 'not spots', gaps in the coverage, therefore a need for more fibre optic cables for the backhauls in certain places.
In old wired technology parlance if you think of the cable from the telephone pole to the exchange that carries all the circuits connected to that pole then that cable is that pole's 'backhaul'. The dropwire that goes from the pole to your house and to your landline phone is the equivalent to the wireless connection between your mobile and the local mast.

Your mobile phone is basically a radio transceiver capable of transmitting and receiving voice and data. The clever bit about mobile technology is that a call or data transmission can switch seamlessly between cells as you move around.

5G is the wireless coding and protocol for transmitting from the mast to the handset/device. Just as 4G and 3G are now.
As 2G transmission speed was quicker than GSM, and 3G quicker than 2G, and 4G was quicker than 3G, so 5G will be quicker than 4G.

Each Generation (G) has got cleverer and cleverer at squeezing quarts into pint pots, radio spectrum bandwidth is very expensive there is only a finite amount, a bit like land, you can't make any more of it; you may remember the bidding auctions for the mobile phone bands some years back and the eye watering sums that were paid, and the Government were happy to pocket for the operating licences.
A short while ago you may remember that everybody had to migrate from UHF TV to Digital Freeview and even more recently some retuning of Freeview was needed, that was so the radio spectrum they used could be sold off with new operating licences. That round of auctions for three bands in the spectrum in 2018 raised in excess of £1.3bn for HMG, the original auction for 3G spectrum raised £22.5bn in 2000 ,serious money for thin air!

In the Southend area Virgin are laying some more fibre, I believe that is for their network improvement rather than 5G backhaul, they don't do an awful lot of backhaul stuff.
The other operator you will see laying fibre is City Fibre who are providing a Fibre To The Home (FTTH) network for high speed broadband across Southend where the fibre comes right into your home not to a local street cabinet and then copper to your house, Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC). This will be an up to 1Gb service.

The advantage of FTTH over FTTC is that services over FTTH are the same upload speed as they are down, full duplex working, a great boon for gamers and video-conferencing.
Some of you will currently be video-conferencing from home and you will notice some people on the call will appear to move slowly or freeze momentarily, that is because their upload speed of their video can only be as quick as their broadband upload speed which is always far slower than the download speed. It's OK watching HD download quality but when you've only got black and white 405 line quality upload...

Also on FTTH the suppliers can virtually guarantee that the speed they sell you is what you will get, FTTC always has an attenuation caused by the physics of copper cable, that's why everyone gets a different speed.

So the Israelis have got to you as well...

I had a contract with City Fibre not all that long ago. I was based in their Covent Garden office (but worked from home 4 days a week) with the occasional trip to Milton Keynes, but kept an interested eye on what they were doing in Southend. It's a surprisingly complex business, especially when they're trying to work out the route the cable should take, and therefore where they need to dig.

So the Israelis have got to you as well...

Strangely enough, ECI, (Electronics Corporation of Israel) were supplying kit for core backhaul and Private Wire services in the UK long before I'd ever heard of Huawei...

In fact if you use Facebook they're carrying your traffic...

Last edited:
I walked through Hockley woods yesterday and a lot of teenagers loitering or walking around. Obviously they aren't from the same family. One couple passed me and made not attempt to single file as we passed. And I had to inhale her cigarette smoke to boot!

Yes, got in a supermarket queue last week and the bloke in front of me (probably late 60's or more) decided to light up - I stepped away and went further back - obviously doing everything possible not the catch the virus but neither do I want to passive smoke. Was with his wife so why didn't he go and stand elsewhere while she queued.

There has defo been more action out and about is week and I think that's coincided with more businesses shutting down. The industrials estates in Shoebury are now much pretty all shut up, bar a few here and there. I'm off from now until next Friday so it'll be interesting to see how I cope, considering I'm normally walking 25km a day! Should currently be in the air flying into Spain with the family but hey ho. Thankfully the weather is looking better here than in Fuengirola so not the end of the world! Although a sat/Sun in Marbs with the boys would have been fun! Swings and roundabouts!

Yes, got in a supermarket queue last week and the bloke in front of me (probably late 60's or more) decided to light up - I stepped away and went further back - obviously doing everything possible not the catch the virus but neither do I want to passive smoke. Was with his wife so why didn't he go and stand elsewhere while she queued.

Talking of this, anyone know what's the Sainsbury's in town has been like for queuing to get in!? It took me 110 mins to get in, shop, queue up and load the car in Aldi Chalkwell last weds when it normally takes half the time and don't fancy doing that again!

Talking of this, anyone know what's the Sainsbury's in town has been like for queuing to get in!? It took me 110 mins to get in, shop, queue up and load the car in Aldi Chalkwell last weds when it normally takes half the time and don't fancy doing that again!

No idea, but a journey to Morrisons in Hadleigh would probably save you time. 2 Thursdays ago, got there 8.10am, queued for 10 mins to get in. Last Thurs arrived same time, no queue, straight in. Prob queued for 15 mins for cashier, left there about 9am, about 30 people queuing outside.
Drove past there yesterday around 2.30pm, & there didn't seem to be a queue there, where-as Lidl's 1/2 mile further on A13 had about 20 outside.
Will be at Morrison's again tomorrow around 8am for the weekly shop, fingers x the same as last week.

Yes, I do. If you go mid-day, you could be in a queue of about 10-50 minutes. The best time is after 6pm. No queue. Normally shuts at 8pm. The quietest time is 7-8pm. Not sure about early morning.

No idea, but a journey to Morrisons in Hadleigh would probably save you time. 2 Thursdays ago, got there 8.10am, queued for 10 mins to get in. Last Thurs arrived same time, no queue, straight in. Prob queued for 15 mins for cashier, left there about 9am, about 30 people queuing outside.
Drove past there yesterday around 2.30pm, & there didn't seem to be a queue there, where-as Lidl's 1/2 mile further on A13 had about 20 outside.
Will be at Morrison's again tomorrow around 8am for the weekly shop, fingers x the same as last week.

Be careful as I heard they had eased up on numbers and it was way too crowded in there.

Straight in at the Sainsbury at the Weir, about 2pm. I believe afternoons are generally a better time to get in, only items not available were tinned tomatoes and flour from the lists of requirements for myself, my nurse daughter and my oap neighbour.

Straight in at the Sainsbury at the Weir, about 2pm. I believe afternoons are generally a better time to get in, only items not available were tinned tomatoes and flour from the lists of requirements for myself, my nurse daughter and my oap neighbour.

Ahhhhh good shout that. Should be pretty low key over there as not much else open. The big problem in Aldi is the lack of people serving so it's taking people ages to get out once they've done the shop!

Ahhhhh good shout that. Should be pretty low key over there as not much else open. The big problem in Aldi is the lack of people serving so it's taking people ages to get out once they've done the shop!
I use the self scan tool there, with my necter card and so don't need a cashier, pay by card so there is very little human contact.
I resisted using the tech stuff before all this as I do believe it will, ultimately cost jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back