• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes thats on about page 3 or 4 of google. Fails to mention the content of his 70 hours of taped recordings......The ones that prove the FBI knew all about the planned 1993 bomb plot.

Originally the y were going to tie up any lose ends by convicting Mr Salem of being one of the bombers. He was one step ahead and had recorded all his calls from his FBI handlers......Which saved him.

Yes thats on about page 3 or 4 of google. Fails to mention the content of his 70 hours of taped recordings......The ones that prove the FBI knew all about the planned 1993 bomb plot.

Originally the y were going to tie up any lose ends by convicting Mr Salem of being one of the bombers. He was one step ahead and had recorded all his calls from his FBI handlers......Which saved him.
As Ricey said above, this has nothing to do with Coronavirus so carry on if you really have to via PM. Time to move on. Again.

It would seem to me that people who process passports are not key workers right now.

This statement sounds like herd immunity:

On Tuesday, staff were told by a Home Office scientific adviser 80% of people would get Covid-19 in the end and "we can't hide away from it forever".

Disease modellers and epidemiologists are worried about a second peak because there are still a large number of people who haven’t been infected and therefore are susceptible. So if restrictions reduce but don’t eradicate the virus in our population then when they are lifted transmission can happen again. This is a very real threat based on data, models and experiences with other infectious diseases

I’d take the model by IHME reported in the guardian with a big pinch of salt, there are a number of significant issues with it.
Also very worrying the stats coming out of Germany in the last couple of days....they're are still struggling to get it under control with a much stronger testing system and better equipped ICU numbers.

Also very worrying the stats coming out of Germany in the last couple of days....they're are still struggling to get it under control with a much stronger testing system and better equipped ICU numbers.
Yes sadly I think it was inevitable that the mortality rate in Germany would pick up, although they have done a good job in testing and are relatively well equipped. There is a point where testing has diminishing impact on the ability to slow transmission and like us they're a couple of weeks into lockdown. Hopefully, their peak will at a daily mortality rate lower than ours already is, mainly because they locked down earlier into their situation that we did. But it remains to be seen.

Logically ,since the methodology behind the study isn't explainesd in the article.

Anecdotal I know but my brother -in-law (a senior industrial chemist in a leading French pharmaceutal company) mentioned to my wife a fortnight ago, that he expected the UK's final death figures to overtake the rest of Europe's (presumably after tracking the comparative stats).
BTW I'm fully aware that this sort of stuff isn't very helpful.
It was only a week or so ago that an American friend of my wife's emailed her to commiserate on Spain being top of the tops and "how hard it must be to live in Barcelona atm" just before the USA's (predictable) own spike in infecions and deaths.
Any sign of the lock down in Spain coming to an end soonsoon?.
Will be interesting to see who goes first in Europe .Economics over people's lives will come into play shortly.Meanwhile the Swedish model will give some pointers too for all the so called experts

Any sign of the lock down in Spain coming to an end soonsoon?.
Will be interesting to see who goes first in Europe .Economics over people's lives will come into play shortly.Meanwhile the Swedish model will give some pointers too for all the so called experts

I've never been to Sweden but unlike the UK, I'd imagine some areas are very remote, especially in the north of the country. I'd don't think Nordic countries are a good indication for the rest of Europe where people are not so distant from each other.

Why have Portugal reported less than 400 deaths but Spain are at about 15,000

I've never been to Sweden but unlike the UK, I'd imagine some areas are very remote, especially in the north of the country. I'd don't think Nordic countries are a good indication for the rest of Europe where people are not so distant from each other.
not just geographically - Sweden has the highest number of single households in the world, and given it is a more equitable country than many there isn't as much overcrowding in housing and fewer people in poverty who are most at risk of transmission. Also the people just aren't as sociable as Mediterranean Europe.

I work with a disease modeller who lives near Malmo (so pretty isolated in UK terms but metropolitan for Sweden) and when he heard about the potential lockdown he moved up to his summer house (which is very common for wealthy 'city dwellers') which is completely in the middle of nowhere. So they're a country quite used to social isolation and he's used to spending months out in the wild not really bumping into people.

Sounds quite good to me!

Why have Portugal reported less than 400 deaths but Spain are at about 15,000
Cases in Portgual appeared to happen a few weeks after they appeared in Spain, which isn't unusual. It takes a few superspreaders for the virus to really take hold in a country. So they had the ability to preemptively introduce lockdown policies (I'm not an expert on Portgual but think they locked down around the same time as the UK). They knew what was likely to happen based on other countries and acted upon it quickly. They didn't sit around twiddling their thumbs like other countries...:Think:

I work with a disease modeller who lives near Malmo (so pretty isolated in UK terms but metropolitan for Sweden) and when he heard about the potential lockdown he moved up to his summer house (which is very common for wealthy 'city dwellers') which is completely in the middle of nowhere. So they're a country quite used to social isolation and he's used to spending months out in the wild not really bumping into people.

Sounds quite good to me!

I'm thinking of moving to Belfairs Woods. Someone can text me when it's all over.

Went Tuesday late morning, no queue - far too many people inside, including some couples. On our Next Door community group, a few people had posted that Morrisons seemed to have relaxed things, and that the manager in there was asked why and basically didn't seem to care.

Was there at opening time today 8am, straight in. Your def right about them allowing more in at a time, although guy on the door did say no couples.
Only problem with going there first thing, is they haven't filled the Veg, bread or meat shelves up. Whilst doing that, they are correctly putting barriers across the aisles, stopping customers from entering until they have finished.
Trouble with that, is then it's a massive 'free for all' with prob 10-20 people totally ignoring the 'safe distance' advise, & literally within a foot or two from each other, complete cretins or what?.
Got out of there an hr later at 9am, est 50+ queuing to get in.

Cant be spread because of close living. Bangladesh has a population of 164m but has had less deaths than Luxembourg.

I heard that the copper in coins kills the virus? How much copper is in anything bar a 1p & 2p is another matter.

I've heard that the virus can stay active on plastic bank notes for a couple of weeks, especially the higher denominations. Just as a precaution I've set up a PO Box for you all to send your £20 notes. I'll dispose of them safely for you.

PM me and I'll let you have the PO Box details.

Cant be spread because of close living. Bangladesh has a population of 164m but has had less deaths than Luxembourg.
Population density isn't the only factor, as I'm sure you understand. Spread from Wuhan to high-income countries has occurred due to high amounts of international and national travel.

Luxembourg is a hotbed for COVID-19, due to its landlocked geography and economic reliance on open boarders.

Cases in Portgual appeared to happen a few weeks after they appeared in Spain, which isn't unusual. It takes a few superspreaders for the virus to really take hold in a country. So they had the ability to preemptively introduce lockdown policies (I'm not an expert on Portgual but think they locked down around the same time as the UK). They knew what was likely to happen based on other countries and acted upon it quickly. They didn't sit around twiddling their thumbs like other countries...:Think:
It probably helps that their total population is around 10 million, whereas the Spanish population is 46+million.

I've heard that the virus can stay
active on plastic bank notes for a couple of weeks, especially the higher denominations. Just as a precaution I've set up a PO Box for you all to send your £20 notes. I'll dispose of them safely for you.

I work for NR, £20 notes are a distant dream....

I've heard that the virus can stay active on plastic bank notes for a couple of weeks, especially the higher denominations. Just as a precaution I've set up a PO Box for you all to send your £20 notes. I'll dispose of them safely for you.

You are a Nigerian prince and I claim my 2,280.90 NGN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back