• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge thanks to Castle Point Borough Council who have sent out their annual taxi licensing plate bills to the drivers asking for the full amount (£300) in May, with no option to defer or pay in installments. Very kind and understanding of them.....not!

Everyone knows that taxi drivers are taking next to nothing some days during this virus. Surely they can delay payment for 6 months, or when they start earning money.

I just heard a care home owner saying they have 25 elderly residents and that she spends £1500 a week on food and essentials with Tesco. 4 of the elderly have tested positive. She can't get a delivery spot for love nor money. So has to keep going back and forward to Tesco, as they have strictly placed a maximum 3 of everything on her, even tho she's explained over and over, it's for a care home, and for the very vulnerable. Surely care homes should be priority for home delivery, and supermarkets could work something out with them.

Asda at Shoebury are making an exception for care home shoppers. If they've got some sort of id the manager is called and autthorises large scale shopping at the checkout.

Taking steps which may reduce the risk of transmission is hardly being a fool.

But it won't reduce the risk. In fact in some cases it increases the risk. The advice is not to bother unless you're already ill and showing symptoms, in which case you should be self isolating anyway. You'd be a fool to assume that wearing a mask is going to stop you catching this.

Gloves, on the other hand (if you'll pardon the pun) might be sensible.

Last edited:
But it won't reduce the risk. In fact in some cases it increases the risk. The advice is not to bother unless you're already ill and showing symptoms, in which case you should be self isolating anyway. You'd be a fool to assume that wearing a mask is going to stop you catching this.

Gloves, on the other hand (if you'll pardon the pun) might be sensible.

I wear a mask and gloves and weather or not it prevents catching it, it makes me feel a bit better.

Everyone knows that taxi drivers are taking next to nothing some days during this virus. Surely they can delay payment for 6 months, or when they start earning money.

Nope. CPBC licensing department is notorious. I'll see what happens when a few of the other drivers get their spokesman involved!

A word of warning if you need a blood test. I have a regular monthly one at Kent Elms Health Centre and mine is booked for next Tuesday and has been for four weeks. I book on-line so I had a look to make sure the appointment was good only to find that that centre is now closed. I rang the blood booking line and they have now re-booked me for another centre, luckily on the same day as mine is a precursor to releasing regular meds. So, don't assume, if you have a blood test booking check it out.

But it won't reduce the risk. In fact in some cases it increases the risk. The advice is not to bother.

That's not what the article says though.

Masks "could help lower the risk of contracting a virus through the "splash" from a sneeze or a cough and provide some protection against hand-to-mouth transmissions."

Official advice here is driven by the need to prioritise masks for NHS workers (although you are presumably wondering why they need them if they don't work) but that doesn't make fools of people in South Korea, Japan etc who already had masks stored up as a result of having gone through SARS, using them whilst also practicing social distancing and washing hands. And that may have contributed to those countries getting a grip on COVID-19 sooner than Western countries by reducing (note not eliminating) transmission.

A word of warning if you need a blood test. I have a regular monthly one at Kent Elms Health Centre and mine is booked for next Tuesday and has been for four weeks. I book on-line so I had a look to make sure the appointment was good only to find that that centre is now closed. I rang the blood booking line and they have now re-booked me for another centre, luckily on the same day as mine is a precursor to releasing regular meds. So, don't assume, if you have a blood test booking check it out.
Friend of mine had to go for a blood test at Southend hospital for the same reason. Absolutely no social distancing going on there, chairs in waiting room close together, totally packed and no effort to keep anyone apart apparently. Good luck.

Friend of mine had to go for a blood test at Southend hospital for the same reason. Absolutely no social distancing going on there, chairs in waiting room close together, totally packed and no effort to keep anyone apart apparently. Good luck.
If you are given a choice, the Hospital is thee last place you should go to for the reasons you state.

That's not what the article says though.

Masks "could help lower the risk of contracting a virus through the "splash" from a sneeze or a cough and provide some protection against hand-to-mouth transmissions."

Official advice here is driven by the need to prioritise masks for NHS workers (although you are presumably wondering why they need them if they don't work) but that doesn't make fools of people in South Korea, Japan etc who already had masks stored up as a result of having gone through SARS, using them whilst also practicing social distancing and washing hands. And that may have contributed to those countries getting a grip on COVID-19 sooner than Western countries by reducing (note not eliminating) transmission.

Since the start of the coronavirus outbreak, the official advice from the World Health Organization has been clear. Only two types of people should wear masks: those who are sick and show symptoms, and those who are caring for people who are suspected to have the coronavirus.

I wear a mask and gloves and weather or not it prevents catching it, it makes me feel a bit better.

Yep, that's about right. The article even says they could be counter-productive because the give a false sense of security. Just don't let your guard down whatever you're wearing.

@londonblue

I'm still not sure what your point is.

That WHO link clearly recognises that masks can reduce risk of transmission otherwise it wouldn't be advocating the use of them for carers or for people coughing or sneezing.

If it even reduced transmission 5% that would be preferable to not reducing it all. Obviously, as I have acknowledged, there is a limited supply of such PPE and it needs to be prioritised (and used correctly) but that doesn't make the South Koreans and Japanese who had them and wore them to reduce the risk of transmission foolish. And the way the pandemic was dealt with in those countries compared to USA, Italy, Spain and here makes it seem unlikely that it was counter-productive.

BLOOD TESTS SOUTHEND
The sands have been shifting rather. The Trust originally, in their “wisdom”, closed all outposts in the town and wanted to funnel all tests through the hospital. Some idea that. I needed an INR test for this week and found myself forced to book on that basis. The Trust clearly then had a re-think, and decided to reopen just Valkyrie to handle as many cases as possible, especially routine ones. So I then cancelled the hospital arrangement and will be phlebotomised at Valkyrie, a much happier prospect. Going by what I see on Swiftqueue there is plenty of availability at the moment, and I guess that most people with an upcoming test are either unaware of what’s going on, or are deferring for a while. The communication hasn’t been good, but the whole system is under great strain and anxiety. The arrangements at the time of writing are as in the link below, but do keep checking, as you never know if there might be a goal in the last minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back