• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cort's comments

sismith

Rocky
Having read what leon has to say, I'd rather he just left us know. He basically said we're second chioce behind Hull and he might play for us if Taylor buggers off to the U21 set up again and Hull no longer want him. I really found it disloyal to the club. I can understand a player wanting to play at a higher level, but to claim he may 'use' us if no-one else wants him disgusting, he either cares for the club and wants to play for southend or he doesn't. I think he's forgot that this club actually gave him a chance when no-one else gambled.
If Hull don't want him I don't know if I could ever cheer a play on who treated the club so badly.

Some quotes include,

"If it came off it would be a good move for me as they are a massive club who get huge crowds.The money is good, they have a nice staduim and it's stepping up a level for me"
" I don't know what Peter Taylors situation is there right now"
"It's been very enjoyable and the fans have been great to me but right now I don't know who I'm going to be playing for next season"

Tillly said

"If Peter takes the England job I doubt whether Hull would sign him so at the end of the day I really think it depends on what Peter does"

Have a look as this interview with Hull's official website- hav a look at the bit at the end- Peter Taylor Interview

"Leon Cort is one that we're interested in but i'm not prepared to name any more names after that"

I think we can just about say Leon is going to Hull!

I refer people to the post I made ages ago, saying if one of the Leons goes, the other will.

And people called me naive! (or nief, in FM lingo)

If this is how Cort feels, I'd rather he cleared off... I don't care where.

He doesn't seem to be the kind of player Tilly is apparently looking for... ones that want to play for Southend.

Tilly... do us all a favour and stand by what you say. Tear up the contract you've offered to Cort and tell him he's free to go to any club he wants... just not this one.

I disagree with most of the above actually. The arguments about a player moving to a higher division club have already been done to death and we can't blame Cort for wanting to step up in terms of both level and money.

Unlike the likes of Constantine and Rawle, Cort appears to have been upfront and honest. He wants to step up but he's unsure now if that is going to happen.

On one hand people castigate those who play the secrecy card, while on the other they bemoan those who are open (and realistic) about looking at their options. I personally have no problems with what Cort is doing whatsoever. And he's been kind of caught out by the Taylor situation.

On another note, I think it would be a man-management disaster if Tilly were to adopt a "f**k-you!" attitude to players looking to step forwards in their careers. What does that say to the remaining players and how they will be treated in the future if they are successful?

Just my twopenneth....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ June 04 2004,17:39)]I disagree with most of the above actually.  The arguments about a player moving to a higher division club have already been done to death and we can't blame Cort for wanting to step up in terms of both level and money.

Unlike the likes of Constantine and Rawle, Cort appears to have been upfront and honest.  He wants to step up but he's unsure now if that is going to happen.

On one hand people castigate those who play the secrecy card, while on the other they bemoan those who are open (and realistic) about looking at their options.  I personally have no problems with what Cort is doing whatsoever.  And he's been kind of caught out by the Taylor situation.

On another note, I think it would be a man-management disaster if Tilly were to adopt a "f**k-you!" attitude to players looking to step forwards in their careers.  What does that say to the remaining players and how they will be treated in the future if they are successful?

Just my twopenneth....
A tuppen'orth with which I agree 100%, Hank. Bravo, sir.

But then, you always get a better calibre of supporter in the South Stand...

wink.gif

Matt

I don't hope Cort goes because of him comments I genuinely feel that he has been rubbish at best this season. I can't stand it that we played him all season the blokes heading was absolutely atrocious.

Reading the Daily Mirror its says that Taylor doesnt want to quit, so he's going to stay at Hull. I wouldnt mind if Cort does go. He has had a bad season.

It was not so long ago Corty was in a local nightclub and he was told if he left he was a w***er and he replied,

"Don't worry mate, I will be here next year."

Oh well he simply can't forsee the future.

Yeah cause he's really going to go up to some lagered up bloke whose just said that, and say "Well actually I'm off if I get a decent wage elsewhere".

I'll still give Cort my support if he stays, and I still hope he stays. Football has changed, the lower divisions of the football league provide a much less cushy option that they used to, and in these days of short term deals and tiny squads mean each player has to take what he can get.

It's all very well hoping Cort will say "I love this club, I'll spurn a grand and a half a week to help them to promotion next year" but it simply is not the way it works. As for putting it in the Echo, he will take some flak but at least he is telling it how it is.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ June 04 2004,22:34)]Yeah cause he's really going to go up to some lagered up bloke whose just said that, and say "Well actually I'm off if I get a decent wage elsewhere".

I'll still give Cort my support if he stays, and I still hope he stays. Football has changed, the lower divisions of the football league provide a much less cushy option that they used to, and in these days of short term deals and tiny squads mean each player has to take what he can get.

It's all very well hoping Cort will say "I love this club, I'll spurn a grand and a half a week to help them to promotion next year" but it simply is not the way it works. As for putting it in the Echo, he will take some flak but at least he is telling it how it is.
he was mucking about and corty new that.

shame he didn't know corty was mucking about.
sad.gif

Hhhhhmmmm, the reasons for my comments may be misunderstood.

I don't think Cort is wrong for thinking about a move to a bigger club, with a better stadium, more fans and more money. That's ambition.

Cort has served us well... even if he did have a poor season by his high standards.

What I didn't like from his comments is the attitude that suggested, if he were to stay with us, it would be a very poor second. I'd question his desire to put himself on the line for us. I'd question his hunger to do well as he runs out on the pitch.

Hope that clears my point of view up a little.

Hi OS,

Yes it does, but having got round to reading the article this morning, I'm still not entirely in agreement. Truth is, staying with us would be a poor second for him personally (given the exact circumstances). However, I think he was very careful about at least trying not to give that impression.

He is quoted as saying he "would not be disappointed if his spell with the Seasiders was to be extended". He goes on to say "I've had a brilliant time at Southend... but right now I don't know who I'll be playing for next season".

I just don't see how he could have played things any better than he has.
For me, the man is looking to progress while demonstrating integrity and respect for his current club.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ June 04 2004,20:22)]It was not so long ago Corty was in a local nightclub and he was told if he left he was a w***er and he replied,

"Don't worry mate, I will be here next year."

Oh well he simply can't forsee the future.
thats quite strange as i saw him in Talk after the last game of the season and he said he probably wouldnt sign and was most likely going to leave, where as Connie said he was staying. Bloody footballs, cant trust any of them
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ June 05 2004,09:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Bloody footballs, cant trust any of them

That HAS to be quote of the day!
ah bugger thats what happens when you come on here so early you forget to finish words.

and beware of the pesky Footballs, they are evil!!

biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Back