• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

It’s more like £6.62 a gallon (4.5456 litres = 1 gallon)

You are right and that makes it even worse, but in my defence I went by this

You are right and that makes it even worse, but in my defence I went by this

That's per U.S. gallon which is 3.8 litres.

I think the inflation we're seeing is simply the start of the price increases.

Years of questionable financial policies are now bearing their fruits.

Would love to elaborate on exactly what I think is contributing to this but it will inevitably become political.

As for impacts I've seen, the girlfriend and I have seen the price our weekly food shopping increase, especially the price of good quality protein like chicken or beef.

Haven't had the chance to suffer from high electric/gas bills (which I understand are going up exponentially so my sympathies with you homeowners) as the property market is so hot we probably can't get on the ladder in the next 5 years.

Would love to elaborate on exactly what I think is contributing to this but it will inevitably become political.

As for impacts I've seen, the girlfriend and I have seen the price our weekly food shopping increase, especially the price of good quality protein like chicken or beef.

Haven't had the chance to suffer from high electric/gas bills (which I understand are going up exponentially so my sympathies with you homeowners) as the property market is so hot we probably can't get on the ladder in the next 5 years.

Gas and electricity bills are also an issue for most renters. Well done if you’ve got somewhere with those included.

Gas and electricity bills are also an issue for most renters. Well done if you’ve got somewhere with those included.
Currently still at my childhood home paying increasing amounts of maintenance to my parents to compensate for gas and electric hikes.

Thankful that they earn a fair chunk of dough so the GF and I can stay under this roof for now, especially while I study and work part time. Not ideal though!

Really want to move out once my studies are done but I just don't see it happening right now. SDLT cuts caused the housing bubble to inflate even more outrunning what we can realistically save on lower-level starting salaries.

A move far out of Essex will probably have to be on the cards, which is a shame in terms of attending SUFC but suppose if that's the only way we'll have to do it.

I don't think it's that political, given inflation has risen in the US, Brazil and other countries as well.

But it is a huge problem.

I don't think it's that political, given inflation has risen in the US, Brazil and other countries as well.

But it is a huge problem.
I personally think it stems from never really fixing the 2008 problems, we slapped a band-aid over the economy and now it's crumbling a bit after the pressure of the last 2 years.

I think the pandemic has opened the wounds up again but we can't QE and print our way out of this one.

That depends on the inevitable housing market crash.

Interest rates will be going up at some point & when they do, a lot of people - especially those at the lower end of the earning scale - will feel that particular pinch and end up losing their property.

In truth, house prices are way above their true value and have been for a long time now. The average 3-bed terrace in Grays is around £300k-£310k. That simply cannot go on forever.

That depends on the inevitable housing market crash.

Interest rates will be going up at some point & when they do, a lot of people - especially those at the lower end of the earning scale - will feel that particular pinch and end up losing their property.

In truth, house prices are way above their true value and have been for a long time now. The average 3-bed terrace in Grays is around £300k-£310k. That simply cannot go on forever.

I don't think house prices will crash. There's a housing strategy around more supply rather than letting demand spiral out of control. The pandemic may actually help, as people realise they don't actually have to live near their office, reducing the need for commuting.

Back