• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

Out of curiosity what are the renewable energy sources we could use?
Solar and wind power generation are on the increase but don't have the capacity or reliability due to the vagaries of the weather, #suckeggs

There have been project ideas going back many decades for more tidal energy barriers, and that is a known quantity.
Hydro power, dams etc seem to belong to builds of 50 years ago, they may be expensive engineering however the idea of creating reliable water supplies and power for the future seems a win win.

Out of curiosity what are the renewable energy sources we could use?
Wind, solar, nuclear, tidal, hydroelectric etc

All have downsides and there’s no one easy answer but successive governments have delayed and delayed committing to a strategy. The UK’s coal and gas power stations are coming to the end of their lifecycles and there’s no real strategy for how to replace them despite the lead time being substantial. Forget price of gas for a moment the UK is in a precarious position with regards capacity and there was a real possibility of power shortages this winter anyway if we got a cold snap at the same time as scheduled maintenance/a problem.

The UK’s power stations are a bit like Roots Hall and it’ll no doubt be costing a lot to just patch them up and keep them going.

@RobM has hit the nail, use less, use better, waste none. Energy and water.
Turn heating down 1 or 2 degrees, wear a pullover and slippers.
The UK Guv needs to follow up on the Insulation campaign and get more basics done for less well off.
Water is in crisis this summer and will be for the future BUT private companies will do f all about it.

Governments around the world all want us to use less electricity / gas, but then they want us to drive around in electric cars, and everything today seems to need to be charged up / plugged in. And with the outlook looking like we might get more prolonged heatwaves we will use more in fans etc to try and cool us down.

Sensible thing to do in to cool down in a heatwave is stay out of the sun, that is also true of the house. If your house is in the shade due to a large tree, then its probably a couple of degrees cooler than one that's in full sun. It'd take a while to plant a tree near your house to cover it in shade, but Sun Sails are a good way of adding shade in your garden which also helps to shade your house

I suppose we are lucky in that there are quite a few reservoirs near us that hold quite a lot of water (Hanningfield and Abberton to name a couple) but the water companies need to do more with fixing leaks there end. It's all well and good putting out a sprinkler ban, but how much leaks from their existing infrastructure. Shouldn't really pay out dividends if you lose your product through poor infrastructure.

Blatant corporate waste of energy winds me up. How many shops shave heaters blowing above open doors? Does Currys need 75 TVs on all at once? Can't supermarkets put doors on those huge chiller shelves? How about offices with more lights than a Pink Floyd gig?
It was so depressing during lockdown to be walking around seeing empty shops and offices with all the lights etc on.

I suspect high energy prices are being welcomed in some quarters as a means of forcing people back to the office.

Back in the 80s, when times were hard I had three jobs etc etc, all boring BUT I also had colleagues who boiled water at work for a thermos, which they took home and also who showered at work as often as they could, all to save cash. Another only had heat on downstairs and used a hot water bottle which she then used for washing up water in the morning as it was still warm.

Seen a couple of articles on the news about people taking out loans to pay their energy bills, with one chap from Essex taking out a £5k loan to pay his bills, which he believes at his usage will work out at £600 a month from October.

I thought i'd better check mine as my August bill is when i ensure that the account is pretty much as close to 0.00 as I can get as from now onwards we start to use more energy (heating) and thus i'd sooner be in debt over the winter months and then in the warmer spring / summer months we effectively overpay.

Pleased currently with the result (the end account balance, not the prices!)

1660134709956.png

I thought i'd better check mine as my August bill is when i ensure that the account is pretty much as close to 0.00 as I can get as from now onwards we start to use more energy (heating) and thus i'd sooner be in debt over the winter months and then in the warmer spring / summer months we effectively overpay.

Pleased currently with the result (the end account balance, not the prices!)

View attachment 21461
I received my latest quarterly Gas Bill today, it was only £12.88p!!. Can't make it out, as last Augs one was for £77.
On todays one, they list my previous balance in Feb ( which i paid ) but no mention of the May bill ( £164 ) which i also paid back then.
Ok we've been eating salads for nigh on the last 7 weeks, so hardly any use of the gas cooker, & the last 3 bills were est. Someone came round to take a meter reading a few days ago, & their previous estimates were a few units more than we'd used, but surely not that much??.
I'm not going to query it, it's all itemised on my energy costs since Feb, but obviously expected it to be more than this time last year, due to the mega price increase in April.

I wonder if people leave the heating on 30°C all the time!
My actual gas & electricity has cost me £9.20 so far this month (excluding standing charges and VAT) which would make it about £21 so far!

Noticed a few stations have reduced their petrol prices when popping out recently.
Bet we don’t see a reduction in prices though in the shops.

Back