• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

Went to my local corner shop this morning, picked up a cheap (or I thought so) bottle of happy shopper cheapo bleach, took it to the counter ------ £1.89 WTF....No thanks, I'd rather lick the bowl clean with my tongue than pay that price.

I have had an email from my provider
Offering me the chance to go from variable to fixed term.
The price they quoted me for fixed term when I worked it out over the year actually equates to £4,300 per year far, far more that what I am paying now and that is with over £600 in credit.
Obviously I declined the offer but if they try and increase my DD by too much I shall cancel the DD and just pay the bill as it comes in.

Dont be taken in with fixed deal if offered,. Work it out and the total sum over the year.

The price they quoted me for fixed term when I worked it out over the year actually equates to £4,300 per year far, far more that what I am paying now and that is with over £600 in credit.
Obviously I declined the offer but if they try and increase my DD by too much I shall cancel the DD and just pay the bill as it comes in.

Dont be taken in with fixed deal if offered,. Work it out and the total sum over the year.
There's usually a discount for paying by DD.

You might want to take into account the 65% increase in September/October and see how that works out for you. They're expecting another increase in April next year also.

Something has got to give with these energy prices, people just won't pay.

As for DD, I would say, pay your bill when you get it, the energy market is a dangerous game right now and will only get worse come the Winter Months.

Last edited:
Interesting, I filled up yesterday and it was £153.9. Bubble burst?
Fairly sure unleaded was 157.9 yesterday morning when I was buying diesel at 179.9 but at least it was below 180 a litre.
BP Toomey was always more expensive than everyone else, clearly a change in their pricing strategy to get a greater market share.

You might want to take into account the 65% increase in September/October and see how that works out for you. They're expecting another increase in April next year also.

Something has got to give with these energy prices, people just won't pay.

As for DD, I would say, pay your bill when you get it, the energy market is a dangerous game right now and will only get worse come the Winter Months.
it is very frightening and I suspect something will be done by the government although it is the people who fall just over the threshold for any support that I fear may struggle more than they think.

it is very frightening and I suspect something will be done by the government although it is the people who fall just over the threshold for any support that I fear may struggle more than they think.
We haven't had a bad winter for a few years. Odds on this one will be?. And if so, it will be terrible for a lot of people.
The way we're going Jan & Feb will be so depressing it's untrue?. And as for the pre Christmas spending spree, good luck to that!.

Fairly sure unleaded was 157.9 yesterday morning when I was buying diesel at 179.9 but at least it was below 180 a litre.
BP Toomey was always more expensive than everyone else, clearly a change in their pricing strategy to get a greater market share.
Found the receipt and you were right @Sammy Shrimper, it was 157.9p. God knows where I got 153.9 from, maybe it was early morning fog?:Dim:

The cheapest places to buy unleaded are:

• BP Rochford Business Park - 157.9p
  • Jet Rochford - 159.7p
  • Tesco Southend Extra - 159.9p
  • Sainsburys Rayleigh Weir - 160.9p
  • Esso London Road (Leigh) - 165.9p
The cheapest places to buy diesel are:

• Sainsburys Chafford Hundred - 175.9p
  • Morrisons Grays - 179.7p
  • Jet Rochford - 179.7p
  • Gulf Basildon - 179.9p
  • Texaco Wickford - 179.9p
* Prices correct as of August 19

We haven't had a bad winter for a few years. Odds on this one will be?. And if so, it will be terrible for a lot of people.
The way we're going Jan & Feb will be so depressing it's untrue?. And as for the pre Christmas spending spree, good luck to that!.

You can almost expect civil unrest. I understand that a lot of action groups have been set up encouraging people not to pay.

As for that £400 off your bill payment, with the 75% increase in September, that's gone straight away, you won't even notice it..

A lot more needs to be done.

Agreed. I know I will struggle. You'll be looking at monthly bills of around £500 plus which is ridiculous.

@blueblueblue a step in the right direction would be removing ownership of british utilities and infrastructure from foreign state owned countries.
As things are french energy bills are being subsidised by UK energy bill payers, as are french and german rail companies.
The situation is so fecked if it was written for a political satire program or book then it would be dismissed as too ridiculous.

Back