• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

My supplier, EDF. I'll check with them again

Edit - Prices slightly higher than expected. Seems the app is rather misleading. Thanks for flagging it.

I'm in the process of having my old warm air heating ripped out along with the immersion heater and having a combi boiler fitted. That should use more gas than electric and as Gas is cheaper than Electric, that should save a bit over the winter

Electric

Kwh
Now 29.24
New 35.05

Standing charge
Now 37.92
New 38.94

Gas

Kwh
Now 7.377
New 10.309

Standing charge
Now 27. 22
New 28.48
I’ve just finished a 2 year fixed rate contract with EDF and been sent these rates applicable from 1st October.
My Gas was 2.87 and electric 17.51 with standing charges just 21.27per day and 20.48 per day respectively.

Are all standard Variable rates from 1st October more or less the same ?

I’ve just finished a 2 year fixed rate contract with EDF and been sent these rates applicable from 1st October.
My Gas was 2.87 and electric 17.51 with standing charges just 21.27per day and 20.48 per day respectively.

Are all standard Variable rates from 1st October more or less the same ?
I am on the standard variable rate with EDF so where i say New in my post, that's the price from October 1st. Think you are gonna feel it in your pocket

Price of fire wood!!! Last year bought half a crate of kiln dried oak for £199, this year its £299. Checked emails for past orders, in 2017 paid £152, almost doubled in 5yrs

I sure will, but on the other hand I have been lucky for the last 9 months or so to have been paying a lot less than most.

My smart meter says I spent £40 on energy last week and that was without central heating or using the tumble dryer.
That's what my current monthly electricity use is!. I pay my gas bill quarterly ( when they send it to me ), but currently only using gas to cook on oven for dinner.
So what do you think that cost was for?. Lighting & cooking?.

For the last year, I've turned my combi boiler off from the mains when I don't need hot water. I have no idea what I'm saving on electric, but I must be saving something as the prices go up.
You'll definitely be benefiting from some savings but just remember you'll still have to pay standing charges per day whether it's on or off. I've seen people say in the past that they've effectively disconnected everything yet they still have a bill, that's why.

You'll definitely be benefiting from some savings but just remember you'll still have to pay standing charges per day whether it's on or off. I've seen people say in the past that they've effectively disconnected everything yet they still have a bill, that's why.

Yes indeed.

I'm saving something (on electric), it's the daily standing charges that none of us can save on.

Tradingeconomics.com.
click on the more button under the prices in the top right and it’s gives you and excellent view of what’s going up and down .
uk, and EU (ttf) gas prices are in the top block.
electricity prices right down the bottom ..

Germany has nationalised their major gas company. A big move and one that may be contrary to EU competition laws, but imo a very sensible lead that I would like the UK to follow.
When you say nationalised - you mean bailed out - it was going bust. They've had to put in billions of Euros

When you say nationalised - you mean bailed out - it was going bust. They've had to put in billions of Euros
Lots of energy companies in UK, largest being bulb, have gone belly up with Guv money having to step in, like happened with banks?, the German decision is decisive and strong leadership.

Lots of energy companies in UK, largest being bulb, have gone belly up with Guv money having to step in, like happened with banks?, the German decision is decisive and strong leadership.
It goes without saying IMO that all energy companies should be in public ownership.Would stop the current hike in HMG subsidy overnight (and potentially ruinous debt presumably for future generations to pay).

Yes very similar to banks - I guess it seemed to me that it was being portrayed as a good thing, whereas it's allowing the owners to walk away with it's loans repaid and even receiving some cash for it's equity stake

Bulb's been nationalised hasn't it? I think the government is trying to sell it but unsurprisingly no one is interested at the moment.

Bulb went into Special Administration (whatever that is) a while back. The Govt money paid out for failed suppliers is all being lumped back onto consumer accounts

Has anyone actually put there heating on yet, even for half hour in the morning to take the chill off? Looking at the forcast for the next 10 days, it's looking very mild for this time of year. Lets hope that continues :)

Last edited:
Back