• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

Local window cleaner just quoted me £25 to clean our windows front and back.

We have a 4 bed semi, is this expensive or am I out of touch.

I pay £15 (and have since we moved here in 2019) for our 3 bed semi. I expect it to go up soon. Do you have a conservatory?

I pay £12 for my 4 bed semi which includes cleaning the Velux windows on the extension.

Thats not too bad. Depends on his set up. if its pure water (so water with no impurities so it doesn't need any squeeging) I'd go with that than one that carries his own tap water around.

However, a decent bottle of Unger cleaning fluid from Amazon £6.99, Bucket and a decent Squeegee (Unger, Ettore, or Moerman) and a couple of rags to detail the edges and there is nothing more satisfying than standing back and seeing really nice clean windows.

Whereas Jet Rochford gone up to 155.7p. BP Toomeys was 160.9p at the weekend…

We pay £20 for a 4 bed using purified water.

When we moved in the person before me left the contact details of the window cleaner they used. Apparently they charge £60. I haven’t felt the need to give them a call yet.

Thats not too bad. Depends on his set up. if its pure water (so water with no impurities so it doesn't need any squeeging) I'd go with that than one that carries his own tap water around.

However, a decent bottle of Unger cleaning fluid from Amazon £6.99, Bucket and a decent Squeegee (Unger, Ettore, or Moerman) and a couple of rags to detail the edges and there is nothing more satisfying than standing back and seeing really nice clean windows.
Yeah, he has his special pure water stuff. TBH it takes him about 20 mins. May cancel during the winter.

Had a cleaning company try it on with me couple days ago. Wanted a quote to clean my place once a month, just the toilets, floors and a bit of dusting so not the full shabang or anything. They said it'd take 4 hours for two ladies to do it and charge me £135 per visit.

I had been expecting much lower but I didn't know what a fair price was so got another two quotes both of whom reckoned 2 hours and £35 in total.

So the other company really tried mugging me off!

We are looking at getting our conservatory roof covered in order to keep the heat in during winter and the sun out in summer and thus will help with warmth/costs
We contacted Southend Council as not sure whether it needs building regulations as once that goes in it becomes a room and not a conservatory and they couldn’t tell us and said if you put it in and need permission we have the right to tell you to remove it
Anyhow, we had a few quotes with most of them quoting around the £15-17,000.00 mark.
I was flabbergasted
Hubby is going to do it himself for a fraction of the cost

Had a cleaning company try it on with me couple days ago. Wanted a quote to clean my place once a month, just the toilets, floors and a bit of dusting so not the full shabang or anything. They said it'd take 4 hours for two ladies to do it and charge me £135 per visit.

I had been expecting much lower but I didn't know what a fair price was so got another two quotes both of whom reckoned 2 hours and £35 in total.

So the other company really tried mugging me off!

Thats £16.80 per hour per person which is only just over the normal rate. Depending on the size of the place sometimes two people is more efficient and some companies round up to the nearest hour. By the by a lot of cleaning companies under quote and then charge extra on the day due to unforeseen work etc.

I’d say honestly one person two hours is about right for 35 quid.

Thats £16.80 per hour per person which is only just over the normal rate. Depending on the size of the place sometimes two people is more efficient and some companies round up to the nearest hour. By the by a lot of cleaning companies under quote and then charge extra on the day due to unforeseen work etc.

I’d say honestly one person two hours is about right for 35 quid.
I agree, happy with £35. Saying it'll take 8 hours in total is a joke and just them being greedy.

For me, hopefully a few others, the checking of spends, prices and cutting down has become almost sport like.
Mrs G has stopped Waitrose use and converted to Aldi for most things.
And, sadly, I am looking to find out how much the energy company will owe me on this months bill.

My Window Cleaner who we have used for 20+ years, charges us £4.00 to do the complete front of my 4 bed house. (7 large windows with skylights and glass front door)

Back