• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

My Window Cleaner who we have used for 20+ years, charges us £4.00 to do the complete front of my 4 bed house. (7 large windows with skylights and glass front door)

Is the decimal point in the right bit and you don't mean £40.00.

If it is £4.00 i'd be checking if he has changed the water in his bucket for the last 20 years

Is the decimal point in the right bit and you don't mean £40.00.

If it is £4.00 i'd be checking if he has changed the water in his bucket for the last 20 years

Yep it is £4.00 (four pounds), he normally refills his bucket for each house he does, comes round once a month.

My Window Cleaner who we have used for 20+ years, charges us £4.00 to do the complete front of my 4 bed house. (7 large windows with skylights and glass front door)
You're not a Victorian mill owner as well are you @The Big Dady, exploiting the downtrodden vision technicians of Southend and District?

You slave driver, Lol. That is very cheap nowadays. I also heard a health&safety thing came in where they were told to use an extendable pole rather than a ladder, as a few window cleaners had died previously each year from falling from a ladder. That's why you see that nowadays. So the outside windows upstairs are not so clean as they used to get them by ladder, but at least they won't die or get injured.

Last edited:
Got about a weeks worth of shopping at ASDA yesterday. Cost me £40 and a bit, what cost me £30, three months ago. Most things like sweets and snacks that were £1, are now £1.25. Ready meals all seem to have gone up 30p to 80p. 30 cans of diet coke was at it's lowest this year £8.50, now £12. Good luck everyone this winter.

I used to buy a Morrisons fish pie, decent amount of prawns & chunky smoked haddock & salmon pieces in it, which cost £5.
So far this year, it's increased to £5.49, £5.99 & now £6.99!. That's 1 fish pie less per week they are selling!. Also observed on Weds, a loaf of Hovis seven seed bread, has increased by 30p!!!.

I used to buy a Morrisons fish pie, decent amount of prawns & chunky smoked haddock & salmon pieces in it, which cost £5.
So far this year, it's increased to £5.49, £5.99 & now £6.99!. That's 1 fish pie less per week they are selling!. Also observed on Weds, a loaf of Hovis seven seed bread, has increased by 30p!!!.
I have noticed Morrisons more than all the others have hiked up their prices more and each week that I have been going in there has been a price increase.
I was paying 99p for six large eggs, this then went up to £1.09 then £1.29 and now £1.49.
I have seen lots like this and in fact I actually found Waitrose cheaper on a lot of items

What I have learnt to do is shop around now and surprisingly I pick a lot more up in Lidl

I have noticed Morrisons more than all the others have hiked up their prices more and each week that I have been going in there has been a price increase.
I was paying 99p for six large eggs, this then went up to £1.09 then £1.29 and now £1.49.
I have seen lots like this and in fact I actually found Waitrose cheaper on a lot of items

What I have learnt to do is shop around now and surprisingly I pick a lot more up in Lidl
Interesting what you say about Waitrose. I guess a lot of people don't go there, as they presume everything will be more expensive than anywhere else?.
Morrisons now charging £5.25 for 240 PG Tips tea bags. Walk 200yds down to Iceland, & same item is £4!.
Must admit can't remember the last time i went into a Lidl or Aldi store, maybe time for a change?.

Interesting what you say about Waitrose. I guess a lot of people don't go there, as they presume everything will be more expensive than anywhere else?.
Morrisons now charging £5.25 for 240 PG Tips tea bags. Walk 200yds down to Iceland, & same item is £4!.
Must admit can't remember the last time i went into a Lidl or Aldi store, maybe time for a change?.

I find Iceland pretty good - obviously stuff has gone up but I think their prices are lower than most.

The hospitality trade has been off my spending for a few months now with evening meals out, we still have an occasional pub lunch but an evening meal, wine, cab etc has gone. And we have no holidays booked for next year.
Restaurants must be feeling the pinch big.
We spent a few days in Scarborough 3 weeks ago. Most nights we ate in the local Wetherspoons ( so different to the ones in Leigh & Southend! ), & enjoyed good meals at a fair price.
As for holidays, my eldest son lives in N.Y & i've been there 3 times in the last year. I'm fortunate that i only have to pay for my flight, as stay with him & his family. Also i got £5,000 worth of dollars 3 years ago, when the exchange rate was £1- $1.30. Still a crap rate, but better than what it is today!. I've still got enough for another trip there next year, after that who knows what the situation will be?.

We spent a few days in Scarborough 3 weeks ago. Most nights we ate in the local Wetherspoons ( so different to the ones in Leigh & Southend! ), & enjoyed good meals at a fair price.
As for holidays, my eldest son lives in N.Y & i've been there 3 times in the last year. I'm fortunate that i only have to pay for my flight, as stay with him & his family. Also i got £5,000 worth of dollars 3 years ago, when the exchange rate was £1- $1.30. Still a crap rate, but better than what it is today!. I've still got enough for another trip there next year, after that who knows what the situation will be?.
I use (used!) A Caxton FX card when going abroad, and loaded it up 4 years ago with £5 k worth of euros, which has stayed there since. Bought at exchange rate of €1.23 to pound £ so that is good "interest" if nothing else. Wish I had put 10k on it! And a few$ too.

I eat at the 'Spoons in Malvern when I visit and it is a really nice place. I wish they would do more vegetables on their menu though.

And there you go. Inflation is at a 40 year high driven by food prices that have risen in general by a whopping 14.5%. Reported today. We're all seeing that when out shopping. A lot of stuff has gone up 20-40% as well.

Back