• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

It's all getting a bit too much now isn't it? Literally every single expenditure has gone up and not even by a little bit. I started a second job working 3 nights a week back at the end of January with the idea of putting everything I earn into my savings. Even with a recent pay increase on my main job I'm now reaching the point where I'm reliant on my 2nd job to pay some of my bills and living costs. Not by much but still, that wasn't the idea of the job. As a family of 5, one of my kids does swimming lessons, gymnastics, the other does ballet (and goes to nursery which costs a hell of a lot) and the youngest is too young to do anything YET.

I know that's quite a lot of extra activities but they love it and I don't have the heart to tell them they can't do it anymore, I'd rather do what I'm doing and work 70+ hours a week. Life, money wise, really does suck at the moment. I know I'm not the only one of course, just mega depressing times.
The amount of people suffering with anxiety and depression at the moment or those already suffering struggling even more must be through the roof.

I’ve never worried too much as I always live within my means but recently I am starting to worry. My fuel is the big one for me, costing me about £100-£150 more a month. I’m trying to use my car now as little as possible, even my wife has started walking to work (40 minute walk) when she can to save fuel. Her car she fills up once a month and is probably going to cost about £100 now as it’s a big family car.

I fill up 4-5 times a month due to my 100 mile round trip commute into London. Luckily my car is very economical and I drive like a 90 year old down a backroad following cyclists.

My paychecks just evaporate at the moment. Biggest cost by far is petrol, absolutely obscene prices and my car is a 1.4L 06 plate which doesn't help at all.

My paychecks just evaporate at the moment. Biggest cost by far is petrol, absolutely obscene prices and my car is a 1.4L 06 plate which doesn't help at all.

It's just going to get worse come Autumn / Winter time, people right now are just treading water (myself included). These energy companies are going to go bust because people won't be able to pay them.

No matter how many letters these companies send saying you owe money, you can't get blood out of a stone.

Can anyone recommend another dual supplier other than OVO, I don't care if it's a bit more expensive, I just can't be dealing with OVO anymore, they're dreadful.

If you can provide a contact number, that would be a bonus.

Can anyone recommend another dual supplier other than OVO, I don't care if it's a bit more expensive, I just can't be dealing with OVO anymore, they're dreadful.

I'm with Shell Energy, my dual bill per month is about £166 but I've never had cause to ring them.

0330 094 5800

I’m with EDF 4 bed semi with 6 of us £167 a month.

I'm EON Next and it's costing me £203 per month for 12 month fixed price dual fuel contract for a three bedroomed house. I've haven't had problems with them but neither was I too impressed with the price hike from £113 previously.

We occasionally picked up an M&S Fish Pie for 2 people. I say occasionally as it was 8 quid. Looked yesterday and it is now £9.50. No more M&S fish pie for us then.

Standard E10 petrol at 182.7pm at Jet in Rochford this morning. Didn’t realise until reading today that 11p of very litre is the the cost of the extra cr*p additives used to create E10 !!
It’s just rip-off after rip-off, filling stations making record margins and the Treasury raking in extra vat.

Thanks everyone, some great options. I just can't be dealing with OVO anymore, they take the **** and add on extra units (even when you give them a reading) every month... Thats not right.... I'm in dispute with them right now and refuse to pay until I get a bill that reflects my meater readings I give them each month. Not much to ask really.

I'm EON Next and it's costing me £203 per month for 12 month fixed price dual fuel contract for a three bedroomed house. I've haven't had problems with them but neither was I too impressed with the price hike from £113 previously.

I can deal with the price inrease (not really) :( @RHB it's the **** take, I've never had an issue with an energy company like this, they're really bad.

I just keep refusing to pay them until they get it right.

1654885495109.png

Seems the obvious thing to do is cut the fuel duty - make it a fixed amount rather than a percentage - or even better cap it at fixed amount, so that it can go down if fuel ever falls in price.

I pay my EON electricity bill monthly. I give them the reading & they Bill me. Since the increase it's gone up from £28 to £41 monthly.
Gas is with British gas, they send me a Bill quarterly. Last months one was £47 ( £164.01 ) more than last May's one ( £117.52p )..

I pay my EON electricity bill monthly. I give them the reading & they Bill me. Since the increase it's gone up from £28 to £41 monthly.
Gas is with British gas, they send me a Bill quarterly. Last months one was £47 ( £164.01 ) more than last May's one ( £117.52p )..
Seeing some of the monthly costs on here mine seems a bit high, but by signing up for a 12 month fixed price deal, I'm hoping that I will swerve any fallout on the expected October price hike. Time will tell.

How about, for those that submit their own meter readings, (not those on "smart") buying gas and lecci in the "futures" market?
Increase the meter readings you submit monthly by, say 25%, buying ahead of use? and then when prices go up, as expected for the winter scale back down to the actual meter reading?
It is what the oil and gas companies do, but on a smaller scale.

A petrol garage may get a weekly delivery but will put pump prices up on all the petrol it has, especially making bigger profits on the stuff stored in its tanks bought at the cheaper price.

Back