• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

Items that, imo, are more luxury than basics are, seemingly, deemed essentials for today's norms.
@ORM understood, maybe it is an age thing, almost a Monty Python Yorkshire man type observations.
What is clickbait? (Joke)
I see, the PC bit threw me. Was trying to work out what was PC about fags and booze!

Smartphones are an essential these days as society has made it that way. It is almost impossible to complete basic functions anymore (e.g. banking, applications etc.) without some internet connection and phones are cheaper than laptops/computers. Fags and booze never have been essential but have always been popular. As for TVs - everyone's had a basic TV at minimum for decades, haven't they? They are all flat screen now.

I just don't see how any of this is any different to decades past.

Agreed and I hope both of my previous comments were not taken the wrong way. There’s a whole new generation that hasn’t experienced inflation, financial crises and going much further back bread and sugar shortages, power cuts etc.

Not taken the wrong way but there is something very wrong when people who work are forced to exist rather than live.

Times have been tough before but university education was free and houses didn't cost ten times the average salary.

Last edited:
Times have been tough before but university education was free and houses didn't cost ten times the average salary.

Student loans are linked to RPI - the interest rate on those is going to be over 10% later this year!!! What a rip-off. What other debt for consumers are linked to inflation - not mortgages, not car loans, not credit card - seems bizarre, to link it to inflation, probably only done because it is in the lenders interests.

And 10% rate, how can it be allowed to be so high when interest rates are at 1%, although will very likely be 1.5% in a few months, and I fear could be going 2+% in the next 6 to 12 months

Market is now pricing a 3% Bank of England rate by year end! Personally I doubt that they get much past 2%
6 of them voted to raise to 1.25% 3 of the members voted to raise to 1.5%. Got to really go some to get it to 3% by the end of the year as there are only 4 more scheduled meetings of the Monetary policy committee. I can see it being 3% by the middle of next year.

Only people it really affects straight away though are those in debt. Their costs will go up straight away and by the maximum 0.25% any savers may not see any increase in their rates and if they do it won't be by 0.25%.

Blimey. Heinz Beans&Sausages in a can, to go on my toast. 6 Months ago I was paying 85p. Today at Asda, £1.65. So we're even getting hit on our cheap food, now not cheap.
Branston beans are better and the sausage options are pretty good however when it comes to sausage and beans then I prefer Heinz.

12 tins Branston beans in Farmfoods for under a fiver.
30 Cumberland sausages for a tenner there as well, slow cook a batch of sausages and add to beans.
Todays GYS top tip.

I know I keep going on about it but this one shocked me. Filled up at Tesco in Beckton in the morning at the start of my shift 190.9 for Diesel. Left work in the late afternoon, drove past the same Tesco. Diesel had gone up to 195.9p, what has warranted the 5p increase?

I know I keep going on about it but this one shocked me. Filled up at Tesco in Beckton in the morning at the start of my shift 190.9 for Diesel. Left work in the late afternoon, drove past the same Tesco. Diesel had gone up to 195.9p, what has warranted the 5p increase?
Greediness.

It's not even about oil prices anymore.

Back