• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

They reckoned Govt had benefitted to the tune of around £1.5bn (I think it was) year to date. Double that to £3bn for the full year and that's a big chunk of cash!

Combine that with what must be a massive increase in the fuel tax take - the Govt are coining it in
I have abridged your post MattE but the sums the UK Guv, a few BILLION, are small compared to the multi billion, a quarter, EVERY 3 Months, that Shell and BP are profiting by.

The government aren't tackling the fuel price crisis head on, because of the conflict of interest in the money they are also making.
Meanwhile....Over the four weeks leading up to June 12th, data from Kantar showed an 8.3% grocery price inflation. That was just 4 weeks.

I have abridged your post MattE but the sums the UK Guv, a few BILLION, are small compared to the multi billion, a quarter, EVERY 3 Months, that Shell and BP are profiting by.
If you were told by someone that you could have a billion so long as they could have ten billion would you complain?

When driving to Weymouth Monday dropped into Fleet services unleaded was £ 2.05 and Diesel £ 2.14

Know I know the services charge more but really that price, lucky I filled up at home and got there and back with a £ 10.00 top up

When driving to Weymouth Monday dropped into Fleet services unleaded was £ 2.05 and Diesel £ 2.14

Know I know the services charge more but really that price, lucky I filled up at home and got there and back with a £ 10.00 top up

That's shocking and the prices just keep going up everyday. The problem with Fuel, it's not regulated in the UK unlike Energy, companies can charge what they want.

The Gov seriously need to get a grip on this because it's driving (excuse the pun) up the cost of everything. That said, I'm not sure what they can do, other than TAX them heavily and give it back to the people... But then these companies will just put the prices up even further, it's a vicious circle.

Last edited:

Burger King also have a huge markup at service stations as well.

I usually top up with a Whopper Jr and then have a couple of Rustlers when I get home.

Last edited:
You wont have worry about it too much longer when all the haulage firms are parked up. And I'll save you a walk to the shops because without haulage, nothing gets delivered, the shelfs will be empty.
I suppose that’s less of a problem if no one can afford anything anyway…

I've gone ahead with having a smart meter fitted. Partly because i'm doing up the hallway where the electric meter is so having a new one fitted might mean i'm able to reduce the size of the box as currently the old meter protrudes quite a bit.

I also thought about it and in a lot of things we buy we pay more when the demand is high or at designated peak times so i could see perhaps cheaper tariffs coming if you used some electricity between midnight and 4 for example.

I'd be quite happy to set the timer on my washing machine to come on when cheaper electricity is being offered.

The price of Air has gone up for sure.

When I say air, that's what you pay for these days when you buy a bag of crisps!!

The price goes up, and the volume of crisps go down. It's made to look bigger because the damn bag is just full of additional air. From a crisp lover, this is quite infuriating!!

The price of Air has gone up for sure.

When I say air, that's what you pay for these days when you buy a bag of crisps!!

The price goes up, and the volume of crisps go down. It's made to look bigger because the damn bag is just full of additional air. From a crisp lover, this is quite infuriating!!
There was a crisp shortage at major Crispy retailers a few months back, definitely haven't made their changes obvious!

I've gone ahead with having a smart meter fitted. Partly because i'm doing up the hallway where the electric meter is so having a new one fitted might mean i'm able to reduce the size of the box as currently the old meter protrudes quite a bit.

I also thought about it and in a lot of things we buy we pay more when the demand is high or at designated peak times so i could see perhaps cheaper tariffs coming if you used some electricity between midnight and 4 for example.

I'd be quite happy to set the timer on my washing machine to come on when cheaper electricity is being offered.

Not sure you want your washing sitting in the machine until the morning though.

Spare a thought for those in countries other than ours. Sri Lanka seem to have massive issues.

Screenshot_20220628-205429_BBC News.jpg

Their inflation is currently running at 30% and the government are so short of cash they are printing money just to pay salaries which could push inflation to 40%

BBC News - Sri Lanka petrol: Why is the country in an economic crisis?

Monthly Gas bill just came through, £18.29. Something is telling me it will be 10 x that come the winter.

Back