• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

I do for my electricity with E-On, & before the increase in April my monthly bill averaged £28-£30. Since the April increase it's been between £38-£41.
Obviously it will soar again from next month, but nothing like some of the examples given.

I'm very much in the same boat as you, mines a little higher but not much.

As strange as it may seem, with the £66 Gov grant a month, I'm expecting my bills to reduce for the first couple of months.

That's an absolute **** load of gas you're using. Is it correct? Nearly 27,000 kWh! That's over the double average of 12,000.
Checked back and found that that is about right, varies between 26,000 and 28,000 over last 3 years. We have gas central heating (12 Radiators), hot water, and the range cooker is also on gas.

Since going a bit over the top with saving power looking at our last smart metre estimate we are owed £800. I would recommend everyone gets a smart metre as it becomes pretty clear what appliance is using what power. Our fridge freezer is the main culprit but I can live with that. Looking back not having a combi boiler and having a hot water cylinder for 40 years was insanity

Checked back and found that that is about right, varies between 26,000 and 28,000 over last 3 years. We have gas central heating (12 Radiators), and the range cooker is also on gas.

That is a lot of gas you're using, anyway of cutting down? Everyone is different, people feel the cold more than others.

Checked back and found that that is about right, varies between 26,000 and 28,000 over last 3 years. We have gas central heating (12 Radiators), hot water, and the range cooker is also on gas.
12 radiators. Blooming heck. We have a 5 bedroomed house and can only manage 10. Most if not all will be switched off this winter.

I'd be looking at ways to economise on that, check thermostat temp (both HW, boiler and heating), time heating is on, get thermostats on radiators (and use them) etc.

I have more radiators, also heat water with gas and use 13,000kwh. Use electric for cooking - use more electric than you at 6,000kwh - but my total energy use is less than just your gas!

Family of 4. House occupied during the day.

We have warm air heating that has been falling apart for a few years and an immersion heater

For the princely sum of £4200, we are having a Gas combi boiler fitted along with 2 downstairs radiators along with a bar shower. The immersion heater is going along with the warm air heating.

All that along with no longer using the electric shower should reduce our electricity bill.
Appreciate the gas bill will go up but it seems to be a lower kwh. What i don't know is how much Gas is needed to power hot water compared to Electricity. The heating will be controlled by thermostat so will use less Gas than the warm air heating system
I would seriously consider electric rads and a hot water tank with immersion heater. more expensive to run the but initial outlay will be thousands less plus far less upheaval in the house .. also you will have no gas standing charge and going forward all the 'eco' bills will be loaded onto gas and off Leccy

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at Rob... I would suggest people who don't have a smart meter to give readings every month.
Yes. Not everyone has a smart meter as you say.

Some people getting huge DDs are not getting bills, they're getting estimates which are going to be on the high side.

As for submitting a reading on October 1, maybe 0330 hrs would be a quiet time!

As stated, there's a discount for DD as well. Why not for standing order I wonder...is it because the account holder sets the amount?

I would seriously consider electric rads and a hot water tank with immersion heater. more expensive to run the but initial outlay will be thousands less plus far less upheaval in the house .. also you will have no gas standing charge and going forward all the 'eco' bills will be loaded onto gas and off Leccy
But gas is much cheaper!

d going forward all the 'eco' bills will be loaded onto gas and off Leccy

The surcharge for the energy company bailouts over the past couple of years have all been added to the elec standing charge. There are more households that have elec than gas.

Had an email from eon. Says my dd will be reducing because of the £400 govt grant. They're reducing my Mar to Oct dd by £50. That's 6 dd's * 50 = £300. Where's the other £100?

Anyone else's utility company doing something different?

Had new prices from Octopus, gas up 40pct / elec up 20pct, standing charges a little lower, but no update yet what they intend doing with my d/d. Would prefer the govt £66-67 a month is credited to my account and I keep paying the usual monthly amount.

Had an email from eon. Says my dd will be reducing because of the £400 govt grant. They're reducing my Mar to Oct dd by £50. That's 6 dd's * 50 = £300. Where's the other £100?

Anyone else's utility company doing something different?
I'm also with them and they are reducing the DD by £67 a month from OCT-MAR but that's after the increase - hard to work out just what the increase will be but by my calculations my monthly DD will be going up by £20 or so, based on the estimated costs they've given.

Back