• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Costochondritis - Help?

amsemp

Director⭐
Was having pain in my upper chest, shoulder and upper back for about a week and a half and convinced myself I was definitley dying. My other half persuaded me to go the GP and I've since been told I've got Costochondritis (inflammation of the cartilage attaching the ribs to the sternum) and given a two week course of anti-inflammatory tablets.

I've read so much different stuff online that it's difficult to know what to believe! Some say apply heat, some say apply cold, some say do stretching exercises and others will tell you that's a terrible idea.

Has anyone had this before or know anyone who has, who can give me any tips at all on how to ease the pain whilst I'm waiting for the anti-inflammatorys to kick in? The pain is very mild and manageable in the mornings, but makes me very uncomfortable at this time of night.

Any advice or tips would be hugely appreciated.

I have but I'm afraid nothing really helped me other than knowing which postures would hurt and trying to avoid them.

Do you know what brought it on? I had a recurrence 12 months after the first instance after failing to learn my lesson.

I have but I'm afraid nothing really helped me other than knowing which postures would hurt and trying to avoid them.

Do you know what brought it on? I had a recurrence 12 months after the first instance after failing to learn my lesson.

Did it eventually go away after time? I've been told it can be a lengthy healer as its aggrevated by breathing which we unfortunately do around 25,000 times a day :sad:

Doc thinks it was either a sports injury which caused it or the remnants of a chest infection as a result of coughing etc. Really hope the anti-inflams do the trick as it's a nightmare at the moment.

Was having pain in my upper chest, shoulder and upper back for about a week and a half and convinced myself I was definitley dying. My other half persuaded me to go the GP and I've since been told I've got Costochondritis (inflammation of the cartilage attaching the ribs to the sternum) and given a two week course of anti-inflammatory tablets.

I've read so much different stuff online that it's difficult to know what to believe! Some say apply heat, some say apply cold, some say do stretching exercises and others will tell you that's a terrible idea.

Has anyone had this before or know anyone who has, who can give me any tips at all on how to ease the pain whilst I'm waiting for the anti-inflammatorys to kick in? The pain is very mild and manageable in the mornings, but makes me very uncomfortable at this time of night.

Any advice or tips would be hugely appreciated.

Why don't you ask your doctor rather than rely on non medical opinions on here?

Why don't you ask your doctor rather than rely on non medical opinions on here?

Not relying on medical advice. Just wanted to know if anyone who has had it before knows what works and what doesn't.

Did it eventually go away after time? I've been told it can be a lengthy healer as its aggrevated by breathing which we unfortunately do around 25,000 times a day :sad:

Yes. I had it for a few months but not as bad as you by the sounds of it. I did it carrying a heavy box over a long distance. It then came back after carrying a sofa. No pain at all now.

Yes. I had it for a few months but not as bad as you by the sounds of it. I did it carrying a heavy box over a long distance. It then came back after carrying a sofa. No pain at all now.

That sounds like good advice,don't carry sofas about. I'll remember that.

No one can get a Dr appointment these days....maybe just book the day off and get down to A&E....

Isn't that what totally bolloxes up A&E waiting times when a GP is really the right person to see? Booking times for a GP in my area are normally 48 hours max.

Back