• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

so the fans are the problem?!? fine, we'll stay away....not the message the club need to be sending out when they need our money more than ever!!

I dont know about anyone else but this angers me more than anything I've heard come out the club in the past 3+ years!

Put in a shambolic, god awful performance, show no passion for the club what so ever, and then blame/offend the people who genuinely love the club and chipped in £21 towards their wages!

thats -1 on the attendance for the rest of the season, got better things to do than pay good money to sit in the cold watching those [insert one of many expletives which would be fitting here] run around only to be used as a scape goat for their poor attitude and performance!

Yes i did, you clearly didnt -

"Athough HE (Coughlan) was keen to point out that HE doesnt see that as an excuse"...

I have no issue with Coughlan, but the players who are using it as an excuse

Right, but he isn't using it as an excuse and has said that he doesn't see it as an excuse. So why not trust him to deal with any attitude problems had he perceives instead of telling us all of your boycott on here?

It's a matter of fact statement and something which we've heard time and again from successive generations of Southend players.

The North Bank were excellent last night considering.

I just thought that we couldnt get the hoofball even correct last night. The passing was diabolical, the control of the ball was dire also. We had as weak a midfield as ive ever seen in a blue shirt. The defence only consisted of 2 fit players (Clohessy and Cresswell) Barker's legs are completely gone and Phillips was injured and unfit (and that showed). Yet we have 2 defenders on the bench (Streaker and Coughlan). Up front we have Umbongalonga who is a threat with supply and Tomlin who carries as much threat as Jimmy Savile now in Stoke Mandeville. Yet we keep Freddy on the bench!!

Whether you think Freddy is fit, the fact was we more of a threat when he was on than a threat prior to him on. Penalty miss? That is something that can happen to anyone, even poor penalties go in when the keeper goes the other way! This time, the keeper guessed right and made a deccent save.

The fact was, firstly the selections were crap and even the ones that did play played crap.
That is not the crowd's fault.
The excuse of the players not liking playing at RH is ridiculous.

Let's not hang Coughlan out to dry, ffs how many footballers or managers are able to put their views across to the media very well ? Sometimes people can't do right in some people eyes no matter what, the guy was just being honest, maybe too honest but give him a break.

Right, but he isn't using it as an excuse and has said that he doesn't see it as an excuse. So why not trust him to deal with any attitude problems had he perceives instead of telling us all of your boycott on here?

It's a matter of fact statement and something which we've heard time and again from successive generations of Southend players.

I don't doubt that these attitutde problems will be dealt with by the club, and I would be extremely concerned with the management of the club if they weren't, I am merely stating my distaste at players using the crowd as an excuse, and coughlan clearly suggests that this has occured.

I admit i am currently fuming and typing with rage, and that no doubt i will be down roots hall next week in spite of this, but as this has come out straight after such a shocking performance by the players, at a time the whole club should be welcoming fans into the ground, I truely believe this is one of the worst messages to come out of the club in years!

Against Burton a numpty in the West, a guy who hates Timlin with a passion, screamed put some effort in Timlin you lazy C%$% to which Timlin turned and applauded sarcastically. This made me feel awful as at that point we were down to ten men and I voiced my opinion to his group. This guy only comes to abuse players, he doesn't enjoy the game in fact I remember him getting chucked out once against Cardiff years ago.

My opinion is support the team even when they are awful, feel free to groan but don't single out individuals. If singing loudly gets us going in the crowd it must have triple that effect on the field. We have doom and gloom around our club yes, but lets go and enjoy supporting our team, we used to regardless of how we played. Remember they are our club, our players, wearing our shirt and I don't care if they play rubbish or not they are my team and I love them.

The North Bank were excellent last night considering.

I just thought that we couldnt get the hoofball even correct last night. The passing was diabolical, the control of the ball was dire also. We had as weak a midfield as ive ever seen in a blue shirt. The defence only consisted of 2 fit players (Clohessy and Cresswell) Barker's legs are completely gone and Phillips was injured and unfit (and that showed). Yet we have 2 defenders on the bench (Streaker and Coughlan). Up front we have Umbongalonga who is a threat with supply and Tomlin who carries as much threat as Jimmy Savile now in Stoke Mandeville. Yet we keep Freddy on the bench!!

Whether you think Freddy is fit, the fact was we more of a threat when he was on than a threat prior to him on. Penalty miss? That is something that can happen to anyone, even poor penalties go in when the keeper goes the other way! This time, the keeper guessed right and made a deccent save.

The fact was, firstly the selections were crap and even the ones that did play played crap.
That is not the crowd's fault.
The excuse of the players not liking playing at RH is ridiculous.

Coughlan is 83 and Straker is just rubbish.

If Phillips wasnt fit, which he says himself he came back too soon, then Barker would have moved across to the centre and Straker would have played. Coughlan is there as an emergency only from what I Can see.

As for the selection I thought the team picked was pretty decent to be honest. Id prefer Eastwood to start but understand why he isnt if its down to fitness etc.

The crowd is irrelevant, thats what you get when you concede in the first minute.

We have been consistently poor at home since PS took over OK we had a decent record last season but I very rarely feel entertained at home game's its more like pulling teeth! In all honestly I think the atmosphere is actually not that bad considering the **** we have had to put with the last few years (on and off the pitch) and the fact we very rarely start playing until the second half and/or we are a goal behind.

It's very rare I agree with anything you say, but I agree with this. People, not all, but some, need to have a really good look at themselves. Shouting abuse simply won't make a player play better. All it will do is make them more anxious next time, which in all likelihood will make them make more mistakes.

What was telling for me was how quiet the crowd were after the penalty miss. There was no trying to get behind the team, it was almost as if we had decided we weren't going to win so there was no point in making an effort.

I do agree, however, that fans react to what is happening on the pitch. That has to be the catalyst that gets the crowd going. However, in the absense of that (after all last night nothing on the pitch inspired me) it is up to us to get behind the team and inspire them. It works both ways.

Before anyone thinks I am being holier than thou, I have to say I include myself in all of this. I'm not the kind of person to start singing if no-one else is, but I am certainly someone that will get involved once something is started. Maybe we need a number of people in each section that will get the rest of us started?

Now, this leads me on to something that may seem controversial. I think having TBV in the North Bank is counter productive. When they were in the West Stand (where I sit) a lot of the time some of the rest of the West stand would join in. Since they have moved, the West stand is deadly silent; there is no-one in there that will start people off. Yes, TBV sing and make a noise, but they're now the only ones, whereas before they would have a lot of people in the West join in with them.

I agree with this. Even though my seaso is in the west (close to where TBV congregated) I have been sitting in the South more recently where the fans are more positive towards the players.

Last night was a joke though. I was watching Freddy closely when he came on and he hardly broke sweat. In general both he and the players were static with no movement or desire to make space for each other. So many times the player with the ball was isolated with no options.

After listening to Coughlan last night saying 'the players have not bought into the system'. This to me shows on the pitch and imo they are totally fed up!

I have always supported the manager but even I am beginning to wonder now if we need a completely new management team. Perhaps Neill Harris with an experienced no2?

What's the likelihood that when a manager full of experience is struggling (well 3 points off of playoffs) that someone with no experience whatsoever turn things around ?

What's the likelihood that when a manager full of experience is struggling (well 3 points off of playoffs) that someone with no experience whatsoever turn things around ?

I think energy, enthusiasm and hunger sometimes count for as much as, or even more than, experience.

I think we all have to accept that not everyone is going to be positive all of the time. I am sure its no different to any of us at work. At the end of the day people have the right to moan and the players all have the right to ignore it. The vast majority of the crowd are supportive and I think Phillips said the same last night. Roots Hall is close to the pitch and maybe the players hear more than you would at other grounds but I dont believe our crowd is any different to any others.

Last night they looked like a bunch of players that hadn't been paid for a few months. Oops ! Did I say that out loud ?

Last night they looked like a bunch of players that hadn't been paid for a few months. Oops ! Did I say that out loud ?

Well they have been and didnt seem to affect them against Rotherham or last month when Sturrock was nominated for manager of the month due to our performances and climb up the table.

"the players have not bought into the system"

To me this translates as either
1. The manager hasn't a clue
2. He's losing the dressing room.
3. 1 and 2.

I do not believe the Roots Hall crowd are different to any other in the country...infact I believe we have been rather patient with some truly inept showings. The last three home games especially. I mentioned in another thread that the ONLY excuse I could think of for the way the players conducted themselves last night was IF they had not been paid? If they have been paid (rather more than the Shots players I would suspect) then they ought to be ashamed.
I'll be there Saturday...another £20 lighter, and I'll give them a fair outing. If I don't see any desire or tactical nous then I will make my feelings known.

Back