• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think it would seriously tempt GC. The size of the club and where they finished last season is a strong foundation for the new encumbant. At this level (lower 2 divisions) there aren't many bigger clubs and fanbase, so it must be tempting. Ollie has ruled himself out and the other leading contender is supposedly Neil Warnock, who is based in the West country. Darren Ferguson, GC and Paul Wotton are the other names linked, with only Ferguson not having links with Argyle. Another factor that cannot be overlooked is DP's situation and how our club view that. GC would be a given to take up the Assistant Mangager job here, but having already done that, would he want to be the number one somewhere. However I think after 5 very successful years here we may, very sadly, have to say goodbye to GC if the job was offered.

Clearly he'd take it if offered - he'd be mad not to. However there are many far higher profile names on that shortlist and Coughlan would be a brave pick from their board.

A lot of talk from a few Plymouth supporting mates that Holloway is taking back over.

I'm in Weymouth and just watched Devonshire news. Their shortlist was Andy Awford, Kevin Blackwell, Graham Westley and Plymouth's Wotton.
The favourite according to news is Blackwell followed by Awford.
In my opinion that shortlist is shocking!

In comparison with the others mentioned in the article Cocko is lacking in the managerial experience, but you never know. He definitely knows Div 2. Good luck to him if he gets the nod.

I would be gutted to see him go but it's too good for him to turn down if offered. I would like to hope that Barrett is offered a player coach role if this happens.

Sounds like he'd love the job, he would go with a big thank you from me, but, i would love Barrett to take over coaching duties as mentioned earlier, that would be a great fit!!

Plymouth supporters love Cocko and would accept him back with open arms to take on the manager role. It would be a shame to see him go if he was tempted but I say he has earnt the right to be the number 1 at a L2 club and where better for him than Argyle? If Westley is indeed on that shortlist then oh dear I feel for Plymouth fans I really do!

I thought Alan's aspirations were higher than that ?

No. He has gone to Maidenhead.

Asked him directly if he'd ever consider coming to Southend. Was surprised by the answer.

He can't manage any higher than Conference because he doesn't have (and does not intend to get) the relevant coaching badges.

Clearly he'd take it if offered - he'd be mad not to. However there are many far higher profile names on that shortlist and Coughlan would be a brave pick from their board.

That's a no-brainer for him if they offer it.

I would be gutted to see him go but it's too good for him to turn down if offered. I would like to hope that Barrett is offered a player coach role if this happens.

But surely the job wouldn't just be offered to Coughlan. He would have to apply for it if he wanted to be considered. As he is not, and has never been, a manager I can't see how he would be head-hunted like an existing manager may be. He'd have to apply for the role and convince Plymouth that he can offer something the more experienced managers can't.

I suspect it is journalists putting 2 and 3 together to make a story.

Stevenage head hunted Teddy Sheringham with less experience than Coughlan.

Stevenage head hunted Teddy Sheringham with less experience than Coughlan.

True, but sometimes it's about the 'name' and I think the name Sheringham could attract more newbie players than, say, Cocko.

Back