• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Could we really sign Lee Trundle? - Objective opinions and poll.

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't think we'll get promoted. I think that staying up is the primary aim and if we finish 21st in the league then that has to be seen as being an amazing achievement.

But I'm convinced that just staying up isn't the limit to Tilly & Ron's short-term ambitions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ July 16 2006,14:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (mattlovell6 @ July 16 2006,15:20)]We are a small, growing club who have just won promotion from, in all fairness, a poor League One division.
This thing about League One being poor last season... it really depends on how you look at it. Because the league was tight doesn't automatically mean it was weak.
Exactly. I don't get the arguement that it was a poor league at all.

But we had that debate a few weeks back.

Last Year didnt he sign a five year extension worth £1million?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 16 2006,13:58)]we really may never get a better chance to break into the top-flight than this.
I believe our best chance will be when we are getting decent-sized crowds in the new stadium with the revenue from outside interests - thats when we'll really be able to establish ourselves (hopefully) as a play-off chasing outfit on a regular basis. Until then we're one of the paupers in a very powerful division.

Don't underestimate momentum, i think we CAN get promoted, i believe that, but by know means do i expect it. Id be very happy with 21st, although if we did start to move towards the top of the table my aim would be adjusted accordingly. 21st = Happy Days.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ July 16 2006,15:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 16 2006,13:58)]we really may never get a better chance to break into the top-flight than this.
I believe our best chance will be when we are getting decent-sized crowds in the new stadium with the revenue from outside interests - thats when we'll really be able to establish ourselves (hopefully) as a play-off chasing outfit on a regular basis. Until then we're one of the paupers in a very powerful division.
I agree. But when is that going to be? Three years? Five? Ten?

People have suggested that we consolidate in this league until we're in the new stadium. Depending on how long that is, I think that that is a more unrealistic aim than promotion this season is. We're too small a club to survive at this level in the long, or even medium, term.

In the short term I think we've got a chance of doing something because we've got a talented pool of players spearheaded by the most talented striker outside the Premiership and led by one of the country's brightest managerial talents. But theres only so long that we as a club are going to be able to swim against the tide.

Robinson would be a better prospct than Trundle IMO. Trundle is too much of a show pony for Tilly i reckon, and Robinson fits all the criteria we would and indeed should be looking for.

Plus Robinson has two feet, whereas Trundle only has one!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 16 2006,17:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ July 16 2006,15:48)]
[b said:
I agree. But when is that going to be? Three years? Five? Ten?

People have suggested that we consolidate in this league until we're in the new stadium. Depending on how long that is, I think that that is a more unrealistic aim than promotion this season is. We're too small a club to survive at this level in the long, or even medium, term.

In the short term I think we've got a chance of doing something because we've got a talented pool of players spearheaded by the most talented striker outside the Premiership and led by one of the country's brightest managerial talents. But theres only so long that we as a club are going to be able to swim against the tide.
Exactly, and no-one knows when that new stadium will come to fruition. We do know however that Uncle Ron is desperate to make it happen so we have reason to be optimistic that it will happen in the shortest time that is possible. It's a no-brainer that we can't hope to survive in this division indefinitely if Fossetts Farm doesn't happen, even if we're in a better position re attendances than last time we were in the 2nd tier.

I can also understand what you're saying about our chances this year and its true that this is the best squad we've had since the early-mid 90's with a very talented young manager to boot, however getting out of the Championship will be 10 times harder than getting out of League One. You look at the current size of our squad compared to 90% of the others and the big names plying their trade in this league at various clubs and its a massive reality check. I'm not saying we can't get promotion again next season cos nothing's impossible but lets face it chaps its not at all likely given the quality of this division - I have absolutely no doubt we'll comfortably survive (and probably be the only promoted club to do so) but achieving anything more than that in our debut season will I fear come too soon for this football club.

Flavs
Hunt Francis Barrett Hammell

Gutteridge Maher A N other.......

Trundle
Ricketts Eastwood

Looks good enough for the playoffs for me!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fredheim_holm @ July 16 2006,17:41)]Don't underestimate momentum, i think we CAN get promoted, i believe that, but by know means do i expect it ...
To be fair at this time of year (i.e. before a ball has been kicked) I think that all football fans believe that their team can get promoted in the forthcoming campaign, that this will be THEIR season, the one that will propel their run-on-the-mill team into the headlines. That's the beauty of football (outside of the Premiership which is becoming more like the SPL each season) and that's why we all love the game so much, whether we be watching Southend United in the Football League Championship or CD Xàbia in the Regional Preferente. Nothing is certain in the Football League at the moment (Oxford United getting relegated to the Conference?!) and long may it stay that way ...

Very true Mike.

Over the summer I built up pretty big hopes for the season and it was really a worthwhile exercise goign to see the friendly cos it does remind you what reservations you had about certain players. There's potential there for sure but let's get August under our belts before planning how we will turn over Birmingham at St Andrews.

Very much doubt we could get Trundle, who I think would want a bigger club and salary....

The only credence to this is he is 30 in a few months and is running out of time to play at a higher level.

Would love it if he did come, but doubt its possible.

Back