• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Could we really sign Lee Trundle? - Objective opinions and poll.

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

palexander

Life President
Simple poll, but I want to elaborate on this as the speculation is killing me - as I am sure it is many others!!

If it is true, then this IS the transfer that Ron Martin spoke of - clubs would certainly take notice of us as Trundle has been touted at Everton and Southampton amongst others - as well as being a great player.

I thought I'd break it down in a simple fashion of facts and rumoured 'facts' too see if we cannot end get a clearer view on if this will be happening next week.

Why he WOULD join us
smile.gif

This may be a short list, but these are the reasons I believe Trundle would sign for us.

1) Most obviously first off, we are a division higher! At 30, Trundle is running out of time to reach the anywhere near the top flight (see number 4 too!). By some stroke of divine intervention that we do make it (and a front line of Eastwood, Trundle and Ricketts would not be a bad start) then Trundle has his shot at the Premier League before leaving football.

2) Although he had an injury problem last season, Trundle spent a lot of time on the bench and I suspect all is not harmounious with Kenny Jackett.

3) Swansea have 4 first team strikers (5 with Nugent) and Trundle is the oldest in years and as big money was paid for 2 of them, he is probably going to lose the gaurantee of first team football (personally I think they will play Knight + 1).

4) As mentioned in number 1 - though obviously not knowing either, this is just my OWN opinion, I think Trundle would get on better working under Tilly than Jackett. Jackett IMO is not a good manager and I wonder if Trundle has confidence in Jackett to get them promoted.

5) Could we afford his wages now with the increase in season ticket sales, ticket price increase, increased merchandise money and prize/TV money - offering Trundle an image rights deal as he has now could be used to help out.

Why he WOULDN'T join us
sad.gif

1) We wont be able to afford his (alleged) wages of £7,000 per week plus image rights - or afford a transfer fee for him. As Trundle recently signed a new deal I'd expect that Swansea would want around £400,000 - £500,000 at least for him, even considering his age.

2) Though personally I love it - Roots Hall is not as nice compared to the Liberty.

3) He is happy to sit on what he has at Swansea till he retires.

4) Tilly simply does not want him!

5) The rumours are b******s and Trundle doesnt want to come.

I'm sure we are all sick/excited/frustrated by the rumours and I'm not sure if this helps or not! Its helped me anyway by getting it out of my head!!!!
biggrin.gif

While I would welcome the signing of Lee Trundle I would be astonished if it happened.

From the cost aspect Trundle was apparently the subject of million plus bids during the last transfer window in January. Therefore has his value depreciated that much? Or maybe Swansea are looking to cash in on a bloke who is over 30.

I would suggest if this happens the fee would have to be in the region of 6-800k and a 3 year deal at an alleged 7k a week. So a quick calculation based on these figures is a cost to SUFC of 1.85million over 3 years for a player who is over 30 and will have no resale value.

I can't see this happening and I think we need to be realistic and SUFC will not invest that sort of sum on one player. I will be more than happy to come back on here and say how wrong I was if it does happen, but I think not.

Andy Robinson on the other hand is a different matter, and this rumour does appear to have substance, and at 26 he may be a better long term prospect than Trundle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ July 15 2006,19:50)]While I would welcome the signing of Lee Trundle I would be astonished if it happened.

From the cost aspect Trundle was apparently the subject of million plus bids during the last transfer window in January. Therefore has his value depreciated that much? Or maybe Swansea are looking to cash in on a bloke who is over 30.

I would suggest if this happens the fee would have to be in the region of 6-800k and a 3 year deal at an alleged 7k a week. So a quick calculation based on these figures is a cost to SUFC of 1.85million over 3 years for a player who is over 30 and will have no resale value.

I can't see this happening and I think we need to be realistic and SUFC will not invest that sort of sum on one player. I will be more than happy to come back on here and say how wrong I was if it does happen, but I think not.

Andy Robinson on the other hand is a different matter, and this rumour does appear to have substance, and at 26 he may be a better long term prospect than Trundle.
I would agree about the money aspect - and though being realistic that consolidation would be the best we should hope for, Tilly on the other hand would be wanting to show ambition to his players and chairman.

If he is 100% positive that a system involving Trundle and Eastwood is going to get us there or there-a-bouts this season and somehow we go up, then it really doesnt matter what Trundle costs - that £1.85 million is nothing compared to the £20m awaiting in the Premier League.

Remember how unlikely it is, we are ONE step away from £20m and the Premier League. I know they have a bit of money and a nice ground etc, but I remember sitting on the coach on a wet-Wednesday night going to Elm Park to watch Reading (got in free thanks to a random meeting with Mark Stimpsons uncle!) - look at them now.

That must be appealing to players coming to the club. Everyone goes on about the Championship being hard with so many 'big' clubs - if they were that good they would be fighting for Promotion each year. Where are Wolves, Sheff Weds, Derby, Leeds, Southampton et al... they all struggle in this division cos of teams with heart like Southend.

The more I read on the Swansea message boards, the more I think that we are more likely to sign Trundle than Robinson now!!!

The fans love Robinson and because of his age, I think they sensibly see Robinson as the future of Swansea and not Trundle. They won quite a few games without Trundle last year and I think that has opened their eyes to his value to the team....

If it is Trundle, I'll be so surprised I will go and buy a shirt with his name on it.

Even though Ive already got the new shirt

He'd be an immense signing for the club, hence why it wont happen

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The fans love Robinson and because of his age, I think they sensibly see Robinson as the future of Swansea and not Trundle. They won quite a few games without Trundle last year and I think that has opened their eyes to his value to the team....
i'd tend too agree with you there mate, Trundle is down the pecking order as far as i'm comcerned with fallon & knight ahead .

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ July 15 2006,20:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ July 15 2006,19:50)]While I would welcome the signing of Lee Trundle I would be astonished if it happened.

I would agree about the money aspect - and though being realistic that consolidation would be the best we should hope for, Tilly on the other hand would be wanting to show ambition to his players and chairman.

If he is 100% positive that a system involving Trundle and Eastwood is going to get us there or there-a-bouts this season and somehow we go up, then it really doesnt matter what Trundle costs - that £1.85 million is nothing compared to the £20m awaiting in the Premier League.

Remember how unlikely it is, we are ONE step away from £20m and the Premier League. I know they have a bit of money and a nice ground etc, but I remember sitting on the coach on a wet-Wednesday night going to Elm Park to watch Reading (got in free thanks to a random meeting with Mark Stimpsons uncle!) - look at them now.

That must be appealing to players coming to the club. Everyone goes on about the Championship being hard with so many 'big' clubs - if they were that good they would be fighting for Promotion each year. Where are Wolves, Sheff Weds, Derby, Leeds, Southampton et al... they all struggle in this division cos of teams with heart like Southend.

The more I read on the Swansea message boards, the more I think that we are more likely to sign Trundle than Robinson now!!!

The fans love Robinson and because of his age, I think they sensibly see Robinson as the future of Swansea and not Trundle. They won quite a few games without Trundle last year and I think that has opened their eyes to his value to the team....
Good post and good points as well.

You've almost got me believing it.
suspect.gif
I honestly think that Ron Martin, Tilly & Brush do want to make a signing that will open eyes, and undoubtedly Trundle would fit the bill. If it happens then it would be a serious coup for the club.

Having just read through a few other threads I still think that Andy Robinson is the target.

my main problem with Trundle is that would he disrupt the great team spirit we have with all his LT10 image rights bollox ? He seems to be quite single-minded in his actions

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ July 15 2006,20:05)]If it is Trundle, I'll be so surprised I will go and buy a shirt with his name on it.

Away shirt comes out soon
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fredheim_holm @ July 15 2006,20:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ July 15 2006,20:05)]If it is Trundle, I'll be so surprised I will go and buy a shirt with his name on it.

smile.gif
.....and?
rock.gif

Rumours linking us with unspecified Swansea rumours have been persisting for so long, I'm starting to think this thing will happen. It's much like the Carrick to Man Utd situation. Nothing concrete has been released from either clubs and the player syas he's happy but the rumours won't go away and I wouldn't be surprised to see Ferguson ditch operation Fletcher as a failure and sign up Carrick.

In the same way, I expect we may well have been chasing one Swansea player all this time but I'm not sure who. Robinson looks most likely from news reports but I know better than to believe everything I read on electronic papers!

blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ July 15 2006,21:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fredheim_holm @ July 15 2006,20:59)]
[b said:

smile.gif
.....and?
rock.gif
He can buy another shirt with Trundle's name on should Trundle move.

Even if we have to contribute some of the revenue to image rights.

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ July 15 2006,20:01)]The more I read on the Swansea message boards, the more I think that we are more likely to sign Trundle than Robinson now!!!
I can understand what you're saying but the fact is we KNOW Robinson's chances of staying at Swansea are 50/50 and we also KNOW that we're very, very interested in signing the player. What do we know for sure about Trundle?

Swansea may see Robinson as the future of their club but if they can't get him to agree a new deal they have to sell him, simple as that.

You'd have to ask yourself also just how much Trundle would cost? Would splashing a HUGE amount on a 30+ player be seen as irresponsible for a club of our size who as yet have no guarantees they'll survive in the Championship? Personally I think we'll be fine but it's our 1st season back in the 2nd tier and as yet we have no guarantees in what is a very powerful division.

You'd also have to ask yourself if having a high-profile striker constantly on the bench would be good for team morale - cos lets face it either Trundle or Ricketts would miss out week after week and neither of them are renowned as particularly happy players when they're not in the side.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ July 15 2006,21:20)]
You'd also have to ask yourself if having a high-profile striker constantly on the bench would be good for team morale - cos lets face it either Trundle or Ricketts would miss out week after week and neither of them are renowned as particularly happy players when they're not in the side.
very good point, i wouldnt want to see freddy warming the bench it would be one those two.

Well i do think the wages, image rights etc.. would be a problem but would we have more games shown on SKY? if so this may go some way to helping pay his wages

As I've said elsewhere I'm convinced that Steve Tilson, Paul Brush and Ron Martin are trying to build a squad capable of genuinely challenging for promotion to the Premiership. Make no mistake, Lee Trundle would be an immense asset for Southend United. A strikeforce of Trundle and Eastwood would be as good as any at this level. Imagine how hard to defend against those two would be. They both often get double-marked but you couldn't stick two men on both of them. One of them would always be practically guaranteed to have space to play in. And Ricketts is the perfect foil for either of them.

He'd cost a lot of money, but again as I've said elsewhere I doubt that either Hammell or Ricketts signed for peanuts. Plus any out-goings now would be minimal compared to the £40m (including parachute payments) that we'd be guaranteed as a result of just a single season in the top-flight.

That said, I don't think for a second that it will happen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 16 2006,13:47)]As I've said elsewhere I'm convinced that Steve Tilson, Paul Brush and Ron Martin are trying to build a squad capable of genuinely challenging for promotion to the Premiership. Make no mistake, Lee Trundle would be an immense asset for Southend United. A strikeforce of Trundle and Eastwood would be as good as any at this level. Imagine how hard to defend against those two would be. They both often get double-marked but you couldn't stick two men on both of them. One of them would always be practically guaranteed to have space to play in. And Ricketts is the perfect foil for either of them.

He'd cost a lot of money, but again as I've said elsewhere I dount that either Hammell or Ricketts signed for peanuts. Plus any out-goings now would be minimal compared to the £40m (including parachute payments) that we'd be guaranteed as a result of just a single season in the top-flight.

That said, I don't think for a second that it will happen.
Exactly! Another believer!

Deep down, you do think we can do it Beefy - believe!!!
biggrin.gif

I do believe. I just don't think we're trying to sign Lee Trundle.

We're going to go for it this year though and I'd expect a couple of big signings to underline that. Much as consolidation would be an achievement for a club like ours, with no firm news on the new ground, with the long-term future of our two biggest assets (Steve Tilson and Freddy Eastwood) possibly being away from our club and coming off the back of the amazing momentum caused by successive promotions, we really may never get a better chance to break into the top-flight than this.

I think we do need a dose of realism here.

We are a small, growing club who have just won promotion from, in all fairness, a poor League One division. We have made some promising signings but the majority of our players have no real experience at Championship level.

Although i'm sure Ron and Tilly have promotion to the Premier League in the back of their minds, it is totally unrealistic to challenge for that this year. Luton were a better side than us when they won promotion and they finished in upper mid table I believe.

I do not think we will struggle by any means, but with or without signing Lee Trundle we will be in or around the 12th to 17th mark this season. I would just ask that people do not delude themselves into thinking signing Lee Trundle would spearhead an assault for promotion this season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mattlovell6 @ July 16 2006,15:20)]We are a small, growing club who have just won promotion from, in all fairness, a poor League One division.
This thing about League One being poor last season... it really depends on how you look at it. Because the league was tight doesn't automatically mean it was weak.

Back