• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kent Shrimper

Mike Reid
Source: Echo

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/southendnews/display.var.1289103.0.how_did_you_pay_for_footie_tickets_councillors_asked.php

CASTLE Point Conservative councillors say they are angry at being forced to fill in a questionnaire about how they paid for their football tickets.

Footie fans who attended the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff in March 2004, and the Southend United v Manchester United cup game at Roots Hall on November 7, have been asked to detail how the tickets were paid for and how they travelled there.

The council's monitoring officer, Andrew Roby Smith, has sent a questionnaire to the ruling Tory group asking them to produce receipts for tickets.
advertisement

The request follows an undisclosed allegation made to Castle Point Council and police that councillors were accepting hospitality from Southend United, but not declaring it on the register of members' interests.

In all, councillors have been asked 20 specific questions concerning Southend United tickets and to sign and date their statements. But councillors are indignant at their integrity being brought into question.

Bill Sharp, chairman of the planning committee, said: "I had eight tickets for the Manchester United game, but I always pay for my tickets. I am happy to say I am a strong supporter of Southend United and have been for years.

"I have questioned the monitoring officer in the past and asked if, when I buy tickets, I have to declare interest and say I am a contributor, and he said no. I will be annoyed if I am asked to prove I have paid for them."

Ray Howard, county and borough councillor for Canvey West said: "I have had the letter and I was surprised. I am transparent in everything I do so I am not worried. I don't go out much and, in any case, I don't like football.

"But it does show how scrupulous councillors must be in declaring everything." David Marchant, the council's chief executive, would only say: "I am aware a complaint has been made to police, but I have no comment to make."

Geoffrey King, vice-chairman of Southend United, said although he did not have access to his records when contacted by the Echo, he could not recall any councillors from Castle Point being entertained by the club.

Mr King said: "From memory, I don't recall the club entertaining anybody from Castle Point. It doesn't mean they haven't been to the club, but from memory they have always paid for the tickets."

A spokesman for Essex Police said: "We have received an allegation and are not investigating at this time, but we are looking into the matter to see if there is a need to mount an investigation."

Adrian Roper, chairman of the Castle Point Conservative Association, declined to comment.

Ray Howard, county and borough councillor for Canvey West said: "I have had the letter and I was surprised. I am transparent in everything I do so I am not worried. I don't go out much and, in any case, I don't like football.

... probably best, on Canvey.

Bill Sharp, chairman of the planning committee, said: "I had eight tickets for the Manchester United game, but I always pay for my tickets. I am happy to say I am a strong supporter of Southend United and have been for years.

Eight tickets! How did he manage that? Still, I suppose its only sensible to keep the chairman of the planning commitee sweet.

Well that explains where all the tickets went!

Out of interest, how do those who were upset at having missed out feel about this?

oh well, if we missed out, but it helped us get the new stadium accpeted, ill take that

Eight tickets! How did he manage that? Still, I suppose its only sensible to keep the chairman of the planning commitee sweet.

He says he paid for them, maybe him and seven relatives are season ticket holders

that said altough CP were not involved in our planning application I would think MD may have some plans for that borough......

I sense a 40 man dawn police raid brewing

Back