• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
Is it "white peoples Blues" as an unattributed black blues musician is supposed to have said?
I don't know but I find myself enjoying it more with age.I'm an occasional listener to Whispering Bob Harris's country music programme on Radio 2 and late last night I sat through a whole series of country programmes on BBC4 including a Dolly Parton concert,an excellent documentary on country music queens,along with a TOTP's special on modern country hits,starting with the Mavericks.

Last edited:
"I am a linesman at Notts County ..."

Is it "white peoples Blues" as an unattributed black blues musician is supposed to have said?
I don't know but I find myself enjoying it more with age.I'm an occasional listener to Whispering Bob Harris's country music programme on Radio 2 and late last night I sat through a whole series of country programmes on BBC4 including a Dolly Parton concert,an excellent documentary on county music queens,along with a TOTP's special on modern country hits,starting with the Mavericks.

I saw a 'Country Night Special' on the Beeb in January '97, which changed my whole view of it. In between profiles of the greats, various people shared their reflections on their favourite country records. Marc Lamarr's wistful reflections on The Flying Burrito Brothers' 'Hot Burrito#1' (aka 'I'm Your Toy') was incredibly moving and made me realise that country has an affinity with soul music too. Gram Parsons of course turned The Byrds and Keith Richards onto country - and me too. Also, some of those Jimmy Webb-written Glen Campbell songs, eg 'Galveston,' are great stories in songs. I just love that steel guitar sound playing whilst I clean my gun and dream of Alverton* ... :)

*a 'hood in West Penzance.

quite partial to a bit of country pop rock, not for the country music purist i guess!

blackhawk, keith Urban among others.

Finally, there's something that Barnaby and I can agree on. I love me some bluegrass.

Yeah right on Rusty. I love the music but I don't like the right wing politics that seems to go with the territory.The clip last night of Glen Campbell singing the star spangled banner at the Republican convention made me want to :puke.
Still he was as high as a kite at the time apparently.:)

Last edited:
Looks like I'm in a minority, I've always found dirges about some bloke whose wife has left him, whose crop has failed, whose kids have rickets and whose dog has piles depressing in the extreme.

Bring back Metal Monday.

Looks like I'm in a minority, I've always found dirges about some bloke whose wife has left him, whose crop has failed, whose kids have rickets and whose dog has piles depressing in the extreme.

Bring back Metal Monday.

theres room for both canvey surely! my itunes flicks from tim mcgraw to early megadeth.

I saw a 'Country Night Special' on the Beeb in January '97, which changed my whole view of it. In between profiles of the greats, various people shared their reflections on their favourite country records. Marc Lamarr's wistful reflections on The Flying Burrito Brothers' 'Hot Burrito#1' (aka 'I'm Your Toy') was incredibly moving and made me realise that country has an affinity with soul music too. Gram Parsons of course turned The Byrds and Keith Richards onto country - and me too. Also, some of those Jimmy Webb-written Glen Campbell songs, eg 'Galveston,' are great stories in songs. I just love that steel guitar sound playing whilst I clean my gun and dream of Alverton* ... :)

*a 'hood in West Penzance.

Interesting.
I've always been a big fan of Johny Cash(since the mid 60's),Hank Williams(and to a lesser extent EmmyLou Harris)since the early seventies at least without being that interested in the rest of the genre.I also liked Roger Miller and Glen Campbell's crossover stuff back in the 60's and was also an early fan of Jimmy Webb's back in the day.

Last edited:
I watched the country shows, quite enjoyed some of it. Always loved Dolly Parton's 'Here you come again' (it's not sexual) and Jolene.
Used to really fancy Bobbie Gentry as a wee lad, (It's a woman by the way).Shame she's gone on the missing list.
What the hell did she and Billy Joe throw off the Talahatchie Bridge? in 'Ode to Billy Joe', great song.

Can't say I'm a huge fan, but Crazy Heart is a fantastic film, and T-Bone Burnett's soundtrack is fantastic.

I watched the country shows, quite enjoyed some of it. Always loved Dolly Parton's 'Here you come again' (it's not sexual) and Jolene.
Used to really fancy Bobbie Gentry as a wee lad, (It's a woman by the way).Shame she's gone on the missing list.
What the hell did she and Billy Joe throw off the Talahatchie Bridge? in 'Ode to Billy Joe', great song.

Great record.Could have been a foetus -but she's always denied that.More likely an engagement ring which would explain why her lover jumped.:unsure:

I don't like much straight-up country - Tammy Wynette, Hank Wangford, Merl Haggard et al make me cringe. Johnny Cash and Hank Williams are OK I guess. I do like a bit of '30s/'40s country-blues, the aforementioned Byrds/Gram Parsons proto-country/rock (or 'Cosmic American Music' as Jim McGuinn put it) is great, and I'm a huge fan of The Band's country-gospel-bluegrass-soul blend.

I don't like much straight-up country - Tammy Wynette, Hank Wangford, Merl Haggard et al make me cringe. Johnny Cash and Hank Williams are OK I guess. I do like a bit of '30s/'40s country-blues, the aforementioned Byrds/Gram Parsons proto-country/rock (or 'Cosmic American Music' as Jim McGuinn put it) is great, and I'm a huge fan of The Band's country-gospel-bluegrass-soul blend.

Certainly agree about the Band.I was a huge fan from the off, and it's probably liking their stuff so much, which eventually turned me on to other folk artists.
Come to think of it I can remember going to the Lincoln Folk Festival in the early 70's where among the featured artists were James Taylor,The Byrds,Tom Paxton,Buffy Saint Marie(headlining) plus Sonny and Terry.That was a good day out!

I quite like a bit of Country. Modern, Alt - The Jayhawks, Uncle Tupelo, Handsome Family.

Older - Gram Parson, George Jones and the usual suspects.

If you think this doesn't rock, you have no soul!

Back