• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch ............. Coventry City (H)

Mick

Life President
Despite Coventry having won the last three, all by just the odd goal, we have a slight lead in head to head League matches against them with 20 wins to their 19 with 12 drawn matches.

Saturday’s match will be refereed by first year referee, Sam Purkiss from Highbury, London who will be doing his second Southend match.

About 30 years of age, he was promoted to the Football League referees list this season after a couple of seasons on the National League. Originally from Gainsborough, he is a graduate of Cambridge University and has qualified as a solicitor who advises on commercial and regulatory matters relating to sport, sponsorship, the exploitation of intellectual property and publishing. So he's not in refereeing for the money.

He first came to prominence when he sent off 5 home Wingate and Finchley players in an Isthmian League match six years ago. This, of course, caused the match to be abandoned with Thurrock leading 1-0 and Stuart Thurgood scoring the only goal. Little, if any, blame for this was attached to the referee in this most unusual occurrence.

His previous Southend match, also at Roots Hall, was as a late replacement for Tuesday’s referee Trevor Kettle in the Leasing.com Trophy match against Brighton’s Under 21s in front of 641 spectators. I thought he had a steady match, we lost 0-2 to their kids with yellows for Demetriou and Hyam and one of theirs. He had been okay when I’d seen him in non-league previously.

His 25 matches have produced, in total, a decidedly average 75 yellows and just one red.

He has not refereed Coventry City before.

Assisting are Greg Read from Addlestone near Woking, making his 4th visit of the season, and Paul Yates from Maidstone. Fourth Official will be Jason Richardson from Ruislip, Middlesex, making his Southend debut.

Assisting are Greg Read from Addlestone near Woking, making his 4th visit of the season, and Paul Yates from Maidstone. Fourth Official will be Jason Richardson from Ruislip, Middlesex, making his Southend debut.

A late-ish change - Greg Read is to be replaced Andrew Aylott from Kempston in Bedfordshire (which was noted for being the largest village in England until they made it a town).

OK, with my old referees head on.

He didn't send the player off because he didn't see it. He was on his mic immediately to either the assistant or fourth. It seems they didn't see it either. The assessor in the stand may have seen it. He certainly had it bought to his attention.

A yellow card all day long. Terrible reffing.

He didn't send the player off because he didn't see it. He was on his mic immediately to either the assistant or fourth. It seems they didn't see it either. The assessor in the stand may have seen it. He certainly had it bought to his attention.

I noticed him on the mic so you're probably right. Should have been a second yellow, I was fuming but some you win, some you lose.
Shame, at 1-0 down it would have made things interesting.

HH was thoroughly miffed by some of the decisions, I thought 4th official was going to get involved as both HH and Sol were gobsmacked when late on he awarded a foul against Clifford for a very good tackle.
The offside law is quite silly with the wait for an offending player to touch ball before flagging; as Shanks said "if he isn't interfering play he shouldn't be on the pitch' or similar.

How can he give the free kick in the first place if he didn’t see it?

Awful. The west stand lino gave a throw in against us when the ball wasn't us and failed to give one for us when it was. The ref got more than just that 2nd yellow wrong.

As referees go that was an interesting display, siding moreso with the away team. He certainly let some nudges and pushes go in their favour, yet stopped play when we did the same.

He is what I call a ‘league table ref’, in that he looks at the team’s respective positions, decides what the result should be, and proceeds to make sure that is the case - nice and safe.

Back