• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
Thought I'd start the thread, as there's plenty of discussion about team selection, already.

FWIW, I think he'll make changes and probably go with :-

Smith
Demetriou Ferdinand Thompson Coker
Atkinson Leonard Amos McLaughlin
Cox Fortune

It's a tough call between Amos/Wordsworth and possibly Timlin/Atkinson and even Fortune/Ranger

Looking forward to this one, not been able to go to many away games. Will be interesting to see what team is picked.

I am considering going by train from Milton Keynes. Is there anywhere that offers cheaper parking that £10.40?
I was thinking of a station one or two stops away.

An open message to Phil Brown and the 1st team squad, and for that matter anyone else employed by SUFC who reads ShrimperZone (and we know you do):

Chaps,

The last few games have left you and us a fair bit disappointed. Previous games that you have played in, and we have watched, up to and including Peterborough, have given us all hope that this could be our opportunity to reach the play-offs or better. The last few games have dulled that feeling a bit and as you may have read some of our more cynical posters are sharpening the premature axe ready for the implosion of form they are predicting.

You often ask for our help in supporting the team and I'm now posting asking for yours. Starting with Coventry away I'm asking you to come back with all three points, delivering a performance of style and grace which we can be proud of. Failing that I'll settle for a 'win ****ing ugly' as long as you bring home the points and set us up for a cracker at the Hall against Walsall. Oh, and one more thing, can Ranger score at Roots Hall against Walsall please. Now the reason for my request, my knees are getting a bit cranky these days and I've probably only got about 4/5 jump up and downs in me per match at exciting goal attempts so an early Ranger goal would be good for my aching bones.

There you go Phil and co, not a lot to ask for is it?

Love Rootshallbloke xxx

Thought I'd start the thread, as there's plenty of discussion about team selection, already.

FWIW, I think he'll make changes and probably go with :-

Smith
Atkinson Leonard Amos McLaughlin
Cox Fortune

It's a tough call between Amos/Wordsworth and possibly Timlin/Atkinson and even Fortune/Ranger

I'd go slightly further than this, and yes it might be a little more than "gung-ho", but we needs wins now. Probably 7 wins from our last 10. Yesterday at Bristol Rovers our defence looked so open it was scary. The old adage of the best form of defence is attack might just be our best option now.

Smith
McGlashan Leonard Amos McLaughlin
Cox Ranger

I'd like to see;

Smith

White
Coker

Ferdinand
Thompson

Atkinson
Amos
Leonard
McLaughlin

MAF
Robinson

subs: Youth GK, Demetriou, Timlin, Wordsworth, McGlashan, Cox, Ranger

That is some bench too ! yes, not a lot of defenders - but White can cover CB, with Amos or Demetriou at FB as can Timlim if needed. I'd actually go as far as giving Wordsworth an evening off, but only maybe to put Innis on the bench (is he banned or injured??)

I am considering going by train from Milton Keynes. Is there anywhere that offers cheaper parking that £10.40?
I was thinking of a station one or two stops away.

Sorted! Train from Bletchley, £15.35 return, free parking. The joys of the internet, eh?

Anything less than a win is a poor result. No excuses in this one.

What we are lacking is some youthful enthusiasm. and someone who will run with the ball at defenders.

The average age of the ten starting outfield players on Saturday was 29 with Thomson and Leonard arguably our two most consistent performers this season the youngest at 24. Take those two out and rest average 30.

Since we won at Oldham on December 17 we have played 10 league games on Saturdays - Won 2 Drawn 4 Lost 4.

Midweek fixtures this season ( Bank Holiday Mondays and Tuesdays) we've won 5 and drawn 3. So god forbid are we due to lose one?

Personally I would rather see youngsters being given a chance to develop than continue with those who will never improve.
However apart from Bridge and loanees, Inniss and Amos we haven't got anyone. Young Frank and Nile are the next youngest squad members.

I think he should start with 11 who finished on Saturday.

I would start Fortune. He looked lively and fit against Bristol Rovers and only played 30 minutes so should be able to manage at least an hour versus the Sky Blues. He was our best forward in those 30 minutes at the Memorial Stadium and scared the Rovers defence rigid.

I would start Fortune. He looked lively and fit against Bristol Rovers and only played 30 minutes so should be able to manage at least an hour versus the Sky Blues. He was our best forward in those 30 minutes at the Memorial Stadium and scared the Rovers defence rigid.

I think Brown blames him for their first goal - giving up chasing and not getting a tackle in. He says the strikers did not work hard enough. So I don't think we will see him again.

I think Brown blames him for their first goal - giving up chasing and not getting a tackle in. He says the strikers did not work hard enough. So I don't think we will see him again.

So you don't think we will see him again ever?

Last edited:
So I don't think we will see him again.

He certainly should have done better over our first goal, but was not alone in that. It would be insane if that was held against him - he's a forward and our best one at the moment.

Smith ( if we had another goalie would drop him)
White, Thompson, Ferdinand, Coker
Atkinson, Amos, Leonard, Mclaughlin
Ranger, Robinson

Got to give Amos and Robinson a start. Great to see McLaughlin back and White in at right back a must but will Brown be brave enough!

Smith ( if we had another goalie would drop him)
White, Thompson, Ferdinand, Coker
Atkinson, Amos, Leonard, Mclaughlin
Ranger, Robinson

Got to give Amos and Robinson a start. Great to see McLaughlin back and White in at right back a must but will Brown be brave enough!

Absolutely the same team I'd go with. On recent form Demetriou and Wordsworth should be benched, let's at least see what the alternative options can do.

It is MAF's former club, the one that junked him. Maybe he will want to hit them with the "returning striker" curse?

We have a fully fit squad now which gives us good options all over the pitch apart from the goalkeeping position. I don't think wholesale changes are required as we haven't become a bad side overnight, I would suggest the following tweaks though :

1. McLaughlin has to start. Prior to his injury he had been our best and most consistent performer this season, results have dipped in 2017 since he has been injured. After 60-70 minutes McGlashan could replace him if he tires as he plays the impact sub role well.

2. Ranger should start. Overall our results are much better when he starts compared to when he doesn't. I think we have only lost one game when he has been in the starting eleven. Again, even if he only lasts 60-70 minutes there are adequate replacements in MAF or Theo.

3. Surely Wordsworth has to be benched. He has been abysmal in recent weeks and nothing like the player he was when he came back from injury earlier in the season. Maybe he needs a rest. Perhaps Cox could play the attacking midfielder role, it didn't really work against Sheffield United a couple of months ago but that was probably more down to McLaughlin not playing in that game. Maybe Timlin should be dropped as well, he is more of a useful utility man thesedays as he doesn't seem to have a position that he can make his own.

Back