• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Oct. 14 2006,00:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richard_Cadette @ Oct. 14 2006,00:25)]Hunt is not a right winger, never has been, never will be, so why he is being played there as opposed to JCR, I have no idea.  He does not deserve any criticism in my book, because in the games he has played so far this season, he has given his all to the cause, just not his fault he is being played in his two weakest positions.
I'm not criticising Hunt as such, I'm criticising the tactics. Hunt barely got within ten yards of the right touchline in the first half which made us predictable and narrow going forward and left Francis hopelessly exposed every time Coventry had the ball. I'd hoped that that would have been addressed by the management at half time, yet Hunt still played in the middle in the second half too. I doubt whether Coventry's left back has had an easier game in his entire career.
No, I appreciate you wasnt criticising Hunt as such, and I agree 100% with you, why was Hunt even starting in that position ahead of JCR, whom I am struggling to see what he has done wrong??

It didnt work at Derby, and it was even less likely to work at home in a game we needed to be positive in.

Hunt at right back, for me anyway, should be the next move. JCR back on the right absolutely HAS to be what happens in the next game.

JCR has been lacklustre last few outings (including tonight's sub appearance). I think he is one of a number whose confidence has gone.

Hunt isn't a right-winger and wasn't being asked to play right-wing. He was clearly asked to play a role similar to that played by Bentley and prior to that Pettefer. Tilly is reverting back to the tactics that got us here, eg one attack and one defensive minded wideman, with the defensive minded player pushing inside rather than up the wing.

The trouble was that Hunt basically had to play in central midfield because Guttridge and Maher couldn't cope. This left Francis completely exposed and his confidence has gone completely. Even with Hunt pushing inside two of the three goals came from midfielders being unmarked on the edge of our penalty area.

JCR Has been lacklustre in his last few performances including tonight !!!!
How can you expect a player to involve himself in a match given approximately 5 minutes to do so???
Francis was our main problem tonight, defensively he was awful. One time when he was going forward and the move broke down he more or less walked back to help out in defense !
Coventry went in front and Adams and his assistant were constantly on the touchline yelling commands and instructions. Tonight and unfortunately whenever we go behind, we have no options, and any substitutions are made far too late. It really says something when Gary Hooper is brought on instead of a player that cost in excess of £200k. It was stated tonight in just how many games we have conceded within 5 minutes of half time, and quite truthfully, whilst I thought tonight was a far better performance, it still wasn't good enough to gain any points whatsoever. ColU kept their squad intact and look far more fluent than we do, we lost a ballwinner in midfield with Mark Bentley and I don't personally think any of our new strikers are better than Wayne Gray. I look at the starting line up, and when you see Maher, Gutteridge and Hunt, you know we lack width, yet we're playing at home and desperately need to pick up points at home if we're to stand any chance of staying in the division and therefore need to attack teams. This also doesn't help Francis who's struggling anyway. Tilly and Brush have worked miracles for us, no one can deny that, tonight neither moved away from from the dugout wall. I just wonder if, at this level, when things are going wrong, we don't seem to know what to do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Oct. 14 2006,00:36)]I'm not criticising Hunt as such, I'm criticising the tactics. Hunt barely got within ten yards of the right touchline in the first half which made us predictable and narrow going forward and left Francis hopelessly exposed every time Coventry had the ball. I'd hoped that that would have been addressed by the management at half time, yet Hunt still played in the middle in the second half too. I doubt whether Coventry's left back has had an easier game in his entire career.
The really disappointing thing is exactly the same thing happened at Derby. Would have hoped Tilson may have spotted it first time round, but sadly not.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleet Blue @ Oct. 14 2006,08:32)]we lost a ballwinner in midfield with Mark Bentley and I don't personally think any of our new strikers are better than Wayne Gray.
I agree about Bentley. But Gray is a woeful striker and I wouldn't want him here regardless of which division we were in.

I do not think Tilson is a happy man at present. There are indications that everything is not happy in the camp. This year some of his team selections have seemed strange.

Is this because a number of his new players have not lived up to expectation?

As for spending two weeks sorting out the defence. After last night it seems nothing has improved. (We need 2 loan defenders urgently, now Ricketts has gone we have the money.)

From the Francis interview on Blues World, he states, as he has before, that the new players spend a lot of time together. Rather than one team have we two camps, the old & the new?

Ricketts was a gamble that failed, but was worth a go.

We have a manager who is at present clearly ****ed off. This will not help the team. After his interviews he should clear his head as the Norwich job has gone. Get back to the positive Tilly of old.

If not Div 1 by February or March.

for what it is worth i agree about francis, yes he is good going forward but formost he has to be able to defend and at the moment simply he is not doing that.

I wonder if any of the stattos can work out how many of the goals we have conceded this season have come down the right hand side, my guess would be around 70%.

Though i thought hammell was excellent last night.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Oct. 14 2006,09:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleet Blue @ Oct. 14 2006,08:32)]we lost a ballwinner in midfield with Mark Bentley and I don't personally think any of our new strikers are better than Wayne Gray.
I agree about Bentley. But Gray is a woeful striker and I wouldn't want him here regardless of which division we were in.
Hear hear..

That was my first viewing of Harrold last night and personally thought he was a bad signing from what Yeovil said. I was pleasantly surprised.

Id rather him than Gray.

Was frustrating that we didnt have a right wing last night, the left was far more effective.

However if Hunt hadnt been there and hadnt kept drifting in would Coventry been allowed to play a bit more ?

at times i think we reverte to a 4-3-3, with hunt moving centrally an gower pushing up.

I am sure this must of been on orders.

I think the main trouble lies that we cannot break teams down. In the games i've seen this season we play very good nice passing football and i for one enjoy that part of the game, however its too slow.

We pass forward slightly sideways, back, sideways forward slightly keeping possession, but in that time the oppo have got at least 10 men behind the ball giving our front players no space or time to work in.

We also have, or at least had on the pitch last night, no players that can beat a man and leave him trailing. We go past players occassionally but never loose them to be able to pick a pass. Most of our attempts are mainly blocked or recovered by the defender.

Francis i though last night was poor and was run ragged. He just seems to switch off and that was the case from the 1st minute of the 2nd half with 2 very lazy passes to no one. I have him down at fault for both their 2nd half goals.

Finally Tilly.....Francis was having a mare and on a couple of occassions Hunty covered him at right back and did well. It seemed obvious to replace Francis with Hunt and put JCR on much earlier than we did..and i was saying this before we scored our 2nd as it looked if we would conceed down the right. It would appear that this wasn't noticed by the management team who actually took hunt off!

Worringly i think we have been sussed this season already...stop Eastwood scoring and let us have posession from the back as our build up is slow. We then get hit with pace and set pieces.

On a brighter note Mahers ball to Eastwood was absolute class, tv doesn't do it credit and the finish just as good. Definately moment of the match for me.

Overall i was very impressed with our performance but again some soft goals spoilt us getting the points. Positives - some fantastic passing and exactly the speed and level of stamina for the championship. Spinner I thought was fantastic and i have to say i was impressed with Francis (although not many people were) i think attacking wise he gave us some fantastic options but had no cover when defending, to which you really have to blame Hunt for. I was a little annoyed that Tilly didn't make earlier subs especially when it was 2-2 and this would of broken the game up. Otherwise a much improved performance and i'm hopeful that this will gear the guys up more for the next game.

The fact is I think Hammell and Francis are just too attack minded...

Whilst they must be commended for their eagerness to get forward and sling a few crosses in, they do get left behind at times...especially on the counter..

Now, either Tilly needs to put these two on a leash a bit, or the rest of the lads need to learn to track back and fill in for Hammell and Francis if they go off on one of their forward runs..

The fact is we are getting exposed far, far too much down each flank, and something needs to be done about this before it's too late, our defence is about as useful as a bucket with holes at the moment.

Maybe we need someone like Maher/Hunt to be employed strictly in the 'sitting role' infront of the back four, to try and plug up any holes left by Hammel and Francis?..

rock.gif

Not much to add but wow 10 out of 10 for entertainment value, it just shows how far we have come......and to be fair winning week in week out in the lower leagues did get a bit dull!!!!....Hopefully we can improve at the back ......get a few wins under the belt etc.....we are getting pats on the back from class opposition........I think the team are up for the challange and if we stay up it will give us something to work on and then start challenging for the prem........Bring on Burnley:)

Funny how Ricketts buggers off and the team seem to pull together more, or was it because most of the under performing new signings were benched.
Much more optimistic now with that performance, and I do agree with the idea of swapping hunt and francis around. Francis produced a far higher rate of crosses yesterday than we've seen all season, but his defending, how many times did he back off when that little cheat ran at him, and he would only tackle him in the box, he was asking for that little plum to hit the deck like he had been shot... But overall alot better

If I remember correctly, Francis has been a better right mid/wing back than right back for years now. Based on his performances this season it looks to be pretty obvious that this is so. Match after match he looks impressive going forward (well he gets some decent crosses in, though his dribbling looks a touch dodgy), and gets caught out coming back due to a lack of cover. Just think hes being played out of position, as Tilly doesn't seem to trust Hunt at right back.

See Francis as more as an alternative to JCR on the right side, but having to slot him in at right back for now. Hopefully pick up a half decent right back during January to sort it out.

Easy, swap Francis & Hunt around to see any different, Hunt keep drifting into central midfielder area when he should stay on the flank & help Francis out when needed.

Did you see this, build up to Coventry first goal, Hunt did'nt close down the CCFC Left Back, so its allow him to have time to whip a long ball in the box which lead to Hughe first goal which was a lucky one.

I do play at right back in Sunday League, I hate it when their winger close me down, I rather have Hunt agasint me so I have more time to fire cross in for our target man. I got 8 goal (6 from free kick) from right back & set up another 5 goal.

I thought the defence was shocking last night, we keep playing like that at the back and we're down!

Not good enought IMHO!

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Oct. 14 2006,11:56)]The fact is I think Hammell and Francis are just too attack minded...

Whilst they must be commended for their eagerness to get forward and sling a few crosses in, they do get left behind at times...especially on the counter..

Now, either Tilly needs to put these two on a leash a bit, or the rest of the lads need to learn to track back and fill in for Hammell and Francis if they go off on one of their forward runs..

The fact is we are getting exposed far, far too much down each flank, and something needs to be done about this before it's too late, our defence is about as useful as a bucket with holes at the moment.

Maybe we need someone like Maher/Hunt to be employed strictly in the 'sitting role' infront of the back four, to try and plug up any holes left by Hammel and Francis?..

rock.gif
Agreed about this!

They haven't got a defensive brain between and look seriously out of depth in The Championship!

Bad signings for this league by Tilly IMO!

I think the telling fact is that (thankfully) nobody booed at the final whistle. We've clearly still got problems and one or two players had shockers but there's no question that the commitment was there.

Squadwise I think we're still one light in centre midfield but I think we might look a bit more like a championship side with Efe and Bradbury both fit. Gloom on the final result front but not doom on the outlook.

Back