• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch ...... Coventry (H)

Mick

Life President
We hold a decent lead in head to head League matches against Coventry - 20 wins against 16 defeats with 12 draws. Matches over the years have often been high scoring with 4s, 5s and even 6 goals a plenty. The most remarkable was our visit to the champions elect of Division Three in 1963/4 when we returned with a 5-2 victory.

Saturday's referee is, as it was for the last Coventry home match, the usually very decent Dean Whitestone from Northampton, in his thirteenth season as a Football League referee. He is a referee we have seen a lot of at Roots Hall but not that much away from home. A goalkeeper in his playing days, he works for the Metropolitan Police, I believe in Diplomatic Protection.

He refereed Southend three times last season. Most recently at Peterborough when a Demi penalty gave us all the points. Yellows to Yearwood and McLaughlin and 3 of theirs.

The other two both finished 1-1 - the home match with Oxford when he did just fine, booking Timlin and a couple of theirs. A few close calls from the "lino" in that one and before that, again at Roots Hall against Plymouth back in August. Again Timlin got our yellow card and again they got two.

I emphasised the word "usually" above as his previous Southend match was a bit of a disaster. The 2016/17 defeat at Gillingham where all 5 yellows (two to Ryan Inniss) and a number of strange decisions went against Southend. Even if the Assistant was a major contributory factor, it was a performance well short of his normal standards. The others cautioned were Coker, Timlin and Leonard.

That was his his third Southend match of that 2016/17 season. Before that was the first of the two Gillingham games at the start of the season. A 3-1 defeat and both yellow cards going to the visitors. For the second one, we reversed that score against Coventry with all three cards again going to the visitors. (So all 10 cards he showed in those three matches last year were to away players.)

Prior to that, his last visit to Roots Hall was back in March 2016 against Gillingham. A reasonable performance cautioning 4 Gills and Ben Coker (on the say so of an Assistant). Some thought he was somewhat generous to their no 11, McGlashan, who was eventually subbed after receiving an overdue caution.

His last match before that at Roots Hall was not his best. It was 2015/16 home defeat against Shrewsbury when he cautioned Rea and three of theirs. Main talking point was whether a red card should have been shown for DOGSO, I wouldn't say he got it wrong.

Before that, his last Southend appointment was a first rate performance in the televised match against Oxford in 2013/14. He let the game flow well, no cards, gave us a penalty and we won 3-0 .... what more could you want?

The previous Southend match was the away match back in January of the same season, the first match in our winless run of twelve League matches, when we drew 1-1 at Dagenham. A yellow for Prosser and three of theirs. Having started our winless League run, he did the decent thing and ended it too with that Oxford game.

Before that he was at Roots Hall for the match in 2012/13 when the fans helped clear snow from the pitch and were rewarded with an abject 3-1 home defeat against Wimbledon. He did fine though with, once again, a yellow for Prosser and three of theirs.

Then another excellent performance in the home Cup game against Brentford. Just the one yellow for Woodyard.

Previously, came the game at Shrewsbury in 2011/12, a match which for me, more than any other, cost us promotion that season. A match that was there for the taking after an early home dismissal. He also cautioned Timlin and Dickinson and their keeper in a strong refereeing performance.

Other matches at Roots Hall include two visits in 2010/11 for the league win against Torquay and the Cup replay with Macclesfield (just 2 and 3 cautions respectively). The season before that saw two visits also. Firstly, the Friday night 0-0 draw with Millwall, when he did pretty well in the face of some uncompromising football from the visitors; he cautioned 5 of theirs and a couple of ours. He also did the home 1-1 draw with Wycombe, cautioning 3 of theirs and one of ours.

Prior to that were in 2008/9 for the opening game win over Peterborough (when three visitors were cautioned) and later that season against Tranmere when we won 2-1 (again three visitors were cautioned). Before that was the 1-0 defeat against Carlisle the previous season in which his performance was probably better than the 8 cautions might imply. His other visit was in 2006/7 when he officiated in the Leicester home draw in which he sent off Richie Foran. Previously to that, in the same season, he was in charge of the away draw at Coventry which I believe he refereed reasonably well.

He had a spell in the "talent group" and used to get plenty of Championship appointments before the full-time SG2 referees were introduced. His card count is usually the right side of average, although a little higher this season with 38 yellows and 2 reds (both in his first match) from 12 games.

Assisting Mr Whitestone, will be Paul Yates from Maidstone (as he was in those previous Whitestone matches against Peterborough and Oxford) and Andrew Williams from Pinner..

Fourth Official is Andrew Aylott from Kempston in Bedfordshire (which was noted for being the largest village in England until they made it a town)

No messing with "The Bodyguard" then........he'll either shoot you or sh*g you" ..:Stunned:

This is him in less familiar attire.

I do not have a problem with Cox's red card so much but what I do have a problem with is the lack of red card for the challenge by their number 5

Yeah their number 5 should have gone but it was so late I don’t think the ref was looking. Needed help from his assistant

Clarke-Harris should have been booked for one of the most embarrassing dives I’ve ever seen right under the refs nose

Cox was extremely lucky not to get a straight red for his first yellow. It was a needless lunge

I'd say Coxy's first one was about right. Not malicious, but was late. Not as late as Tom Davies' challenge on Mantom. He has previous for violent conduct last season, as well!

Thought Cox's first yellow was fair enough, didn't agree with the 2nd. Dreadful referee, how was the challenge on Mantom not a straight red?

Incidentally, from Twitter, I understand that the ref in the Lincoln v Cambridge game was so bad that Cambridge are supporting Lincoln in appealing the red card given there! Standard of reffing is really bad at the moment in the lower leagues.

Back