• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thought that in my time of need I would use the accumulated wisdom of the zone to seek the answer.

So I don't have school for the next three months, yet my current assets of Quantum Of Solace for the Wii (Admittedly I cane everyone online at it :)) and about £0.03p isn't going to see me through a fun summer :)

I've decided to apply for jobs and plan on going essentially everywhere in town and putting my CV in there in the hope of getting at least one interview/offer. However, I have been informed that I need a cover letter, yet I have no real idea what it is.

I don't honestly know what to put in it other than thanks for the chance crap, but even that is difficult when I will have to phrase it like this "Thanks for reading my CV of me applying for a job at your work venue that I'm not even sure you have"

Please.

Help me.

Keep the letter relatively short and simple. Outline your key strengths. ie personality, time keeping etc. If there is a particular place you really fancy working at then do a little research and address the letter personally, find out who the manager is for instance.

Good luck

Bubz

It's a letter of introduction, it needs to be informative and brief, but to try and convey enough to make you stand out. Good luck with that, there's very little out there atm.

Totally off topic, I think it's laughable for a school leaver to need a CV for a summer job. Surely a CV outlines you work history?

Totally off topic, I think it's laughable for a school leaver to need a CV for a summer job. Surely a CV outlines you work history?

Not just that though Paul, and casual employers are interested to know some information. They are also taught to do CVs at school now, and I think they have to do them for work experience as well as going through a proper interview beforehand - at least, at our senior school they do.

Kay is right, we have a CV that we have to update every time we do... anything.

As a matter of interest why was Plymouth away the best day of your life.

For me it was the day we were basically condemmed to relegation from the championship, Freddy got injured I believe and I had to spend the whole day with Dad of DtS and Ldn Fasto......truely woeful times...

As a matter of interest why was Plymouth away the best day of your life.

For me it was the day we were basically condemmed to relegation from the championship, Freddy got injured I believe and I had to spend the whole day with Dad of DtS and Ldn Fasto......truely woeful times...

Series of good events happened on that day, and it was my first away day other than Tottenham and I just enjoyed myself immensely. Suppose Chelsea kind of beats it now 8-)

Well at least you were assured you were getting home...

Personally, you may have left it a bit late, the bulk of the summer jobs would have been taken up by students who would have been looking since the start of June.

however give Converso a call , call centres like that are usually gagging for staff.

And good luck

A bit confused, if I plan to just throw my CV at every shop in town - do I need a cover letter?

yep definitely. it only needs to be a short, like this:

http://www.cover-letter.co.uk/speculative-cover-letter.htm

just highlight what you want (i.e. a job), why you've speculatively sent your cv to them, and a couple of key skills that show why you'd be good.

if you write one, then you can personalise it for each job you apply for, only takes a few seconds on Word but shows you put the effort in.

Give Peter Pan's / Adventure Island a go. They always used to have work on, and given it was shift work they could take on a number of staff. Was great fun working there as well, and not just because you got half priced donuts burger and slush puppies....

Distributing your CV left right and centre is going to get you nowhere when it comes to getting a job in a shop.

Dress reasonably smartly and walk down the high street. Walk into every shop you fancy working and ask to speak to the manager (rank and file staff will just tell you there is nothing available without bothering to check). Explain to him/her that you are looking for a summer job and you are willing to work any hours available. If the conversation goes well then they might offer you something on the spot or ask for your details .

Remember schoolkids are used to fill the hours that no one else wants to work so accept that you make have to make comprimises in your social life.

A little tip that has served me well.

It never hurts to pretend you are Protestant,Catholic,Jewish,a Freemason or have served in popular military campaigns if it will help you close the deal.

I always keep a Falklands war winners medal and various pieces of religious jewellery (crucifix, fish, star of David etc) about my person. There is more than one website which shows you how to perform a masonic handshake. If you can convince someone you were a member of the Bullingdon club or Skull and Bones even better.

If you judge it right you can get juiced right in. I used to have a very sweet job at Nazareth house when I was at SEEVIC in the late 80's/early 90's.

Last edited:
i would suggest if you are having this much trouble with what is essentially a paragraph on a piece of paper, you might wanna get ready for a life time of puting gherkins into burgers

hope this helps

Hey there chap!

If all you're going to be doing is selling your arse to fat pervs, why the **** would you need a cover letter?

I would imagine a note from the doctor stating you don't have any nasty diseases would be more apt.

Kind Regards

Back