• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Covid - possible impact on football?

Looks like we'll be going back to step 2. So behind closed doors
It sounds like it's what Boris is pushing for however there's quite a few in the cabinet that oppose any restrictions. A cabinet meeting (which reportedly is for this) has been going on for over 2 hours now so it could go either way depending on if Boris folds to the opposition or not.

Looks like we'll be going back to step 2. So behind closed doors

I thought we were on plan b? Is step 2 the same as tier 2 or is there a conversion chart we can use?!!! I think theyrd maling this up as they go along!

I don’t want to sound condescending, so apologies if it comes across that way, but to me it seems the issue here was believing the words of a man who is incapable of brushing his own hair.

People were desperate for a way out, or at the very least some light at the end of the tunnel, and instead of telling people the truth, that they didn’t know how and when this would end, we were told something that was simply impossible to predict at the time. Why? Because it was easier to quell the rising tensions with a trademark sound byte, rather than risk making themselves look incompetent in a situation that they couldn’t control. Self-service 101.

The world’s virologists & epidemiologists all warned us about this, but sadly they were ridiculed and labelled as doom mongers by certain sections of society which includes The Government and the press.

I mean, sure, I could be the one who’s wrong here, but “Freedom” day seems a long long time ago now, doesn’t it?
Indeed. My partner is a virologist and she called this at the beginning of 2020. Her native Israel was already under lockdown by the time Boris et al decided that we needed to take action.

I realise that some are irritated/cynical about the booster jab and whether the new variant should be taken seriously but it's difficult not to be concerned given the recent sharp rise in Covid cases.

More and more footballers are testing positive - some haven't even had, or bothered to have, a single jab - so it's hardly a surprise that cases are rising sharply and having a knock-on effect on the game itself.

I live in East London, where the number of cases are massively high, largely because the number of those who have had any vaccine is worryingly low.

I'm not suggesting that vaccines should be mandatory but it's difficult to sympathise with those who are either smug or in total denial, whether in society in general or on here, especially given there are some who have suffered from Covid and lost family or friends.

Hope your mum is feeling better.

Indeed. My partner is a virologist and she called this at the beginning of 2020. Her native Israel was already under lockdown by the time Boris et al decided that we needed to take action.

I realise that some are irritated/cynical about the booster jab and whether the new variant should be taken seriously but it's difficult not to be concerned given the recent sharp rise in Covid cases.

More and more footballers are testing positive - some haven't even had, or bothered to have, a single jab - so it's hardly a surprise that cases are rising sharply and having a knock-on effect on the game itself.

I live in East London, where the number of cases are massively high, largely because the number of those who have had any vaccine is worryingly low.

I'm not suggesting that vaccines should be mandatory but it's difficult to sympathise with those who are either smug or in total denial, whether in society in general or on here, especially given there are some who have suffered from Covid and lost family or friends.

Hope your mum is feeling better.

Are any of then ill?

Last edited:
It sounds like it's what Boris is pushing for however there's quite a few in the cabinet that oppose any restrictions. A cabinet meeting (which reportedly is for this) has been going on for over 2 hours now so it could go either way depending on if Boris folds to the opposition or not.

The news is reporting they're still in a meeting....

Stand by your beds...

I did highlight the section on footballers but it never showed up on my post. I have now edited it so it makes more sense ?

Ah that makes more sense.

Being the statistician I am i've been looking at the rising hospital numbers and whilst I hear the statements being made from the press etc that Hospital admission numbers are rising its not a sharp increase like the covid test results.

In fact those in hospital has stayed pretty much constant around the 7.5k mark (dropping from Octobers high of 9.5k (possibly caused by caused by the October half term) which in my mind means that whilst hospital admissions have been increaseing so have the number being decreased from hospital?

Unless the data we see on these is 2/3 weeks out of date and its not the most up to date information I can't see rising hospital numbers. Anyone else out there with the same view?

Ah that makes more sense.

Being the statistician I am i've been looking at the rising hospital numbers and whilst I hear the statements being made from the press etc that Hospital admission numbers are rising its not a sharp increase like the covid test results.

In fact those in hospital has stayed pretty much constant around the 7.5k mark (dropping from Octobers high of 9.5k (possibly caused by caused by the October half term) which in my mind means that whilst hospital admissions have been increaseing so have the number being decreased from hospital?

Unless the data we see on these is 2/3 weeks out of date and its not the most up to date information I can't see rising hospital numbers. Anyone else out there with the same view?

The hospital data only runs a day or two behind so is accurate.

The issue we have, and have always had, are these 'in hospital with covid' figures. This number is the people who have covid that have been admitted for ANY reason. They maybe asymptomatic and just had major/minor surgery but are still in the total figures.

We really need to know who is admitted because of Covid and not with it, It can't be difficult to get this accurate info, so I can only assume the odd way of calculating hospital numbers is deliberate.

Back