• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Covid vaccine passes

I'm surprised new restrictions haven't been introduced, bottled it I'm thinking.
Perhaps the Chancellor is working out what financial help can be given to the Hospitality industry, as they would probably be top of the list, if more were introduced after Christmas?.
To introduce them now, without any scheme in place to assist them, would no doubt signal the demise of many of them?.

Apparently it's not too hard to grasp though so Barna must know the answer?
FYI I`m not an epidemiologist.I suggest you contact someone who is.

Doubt if you've read the article I linked to.This is the relevant part of it :-

" Brown cautioned that “even the fully vaccinated” in Britain remained at risk as long as the virus was given “free rein to mutate” in countries with poor access to jabs. “The grim truth remains that until no one anywhere lives in fear, then everyone everywhere will have to live in fear."

It's not a proposition from Wittgenstein. :Smile:

Last edited:
I've tried to address the same point in a previous post.

This really is the burning question that nobody wants to answer.

I know plenty of people who caught COVID post-vaccination. It happens often, but it seems to be a touchy issue.

My understanding is that the probability of the virus mutating increases with being infected, length and severity of infection and then the onward transmission. Whilst the vaccine(s) is not 100% effective at any of these the vaccinated can still 'cause' the virus to mutate but the the vaccine does reduce the chances of every aspect of this, the chance of becoming infected, the length and severity of infection and the onward transmission and hence the likelihood of a mutation in a vaccinated person is lower versus non vaccinated. How it actually physically mutates - you'll need an expert!

FYI I`m not an epidemiologist.I suggest you contact someone who is.

Doubt if you've read the article I linked to.This is the relevant part of it :-

" Brown cautioned that “even the fully vaccinated” in Britain remained at risk as long as the virus was given “free rein to mutate” in countries with poor access to jabs. “The grim truth remains that until no one anywhere lives in fear, then everyone everywhere will have to live in fear."

It's not a proposition from Wittgenstein. :Smile:
I don't have a subscription to The Guardian so only get to read the first line.

That quote makes it sound like the virus can only mutate on the unvaccinated.

I don't believe I have read anywhere at any point that having the vaccine stops the virus mutating, it only makes the symptoms less severe

People shouldn't be living in fear, they should be living their lives. We are a short time on this planet, we need to make the most of it, not live in fear

I just saw a tv advert with Chris Whitty about the Omicron variant. He didn't blink once. David Icke was right, reptilians walk among us

1.I don't have a subscription to The Guardian so only get to read the first line.

2.That quote makes it sound like the virus can only mutate on the unvaccinated.

3.I don't believe I have read anywhere at any point that having the vaccine stops the virus mutating, it only makes the symptoms less severe

4.People shouldn't be living in fear, they should be living their lives. We are a short time on this planet, we need to make the most of it, not live in fear

1.I don't have a subscription either but the paper is freely available online.My link should take you right to it.

2.See Matt's comments above.

3.I imagine that's true but again I'm not an epidemiologist.

4.Agreed but unless the West etc supplies "third " world countries with sufficient quantities of the vaccine at a reasonably low price then clearly new variants of the virus will continue to mutate.

My understanding is that the probability of the virus mutating increases with being infected, length and severity of infection and then the onward transmission. Whilst the vaccine(s) is not 100% effective at any of these the vaccinated can still 'cause' the virus to mutate but the the vaccine does reduce the chances of every aspect of this, the chance of becoming infected, the length and severity of infection and the onward transmission and hence the likelihood of a mutation in a vaccinated person is lower versus non vaccinated. How it actually physically mutates - you'll need an expert!
I think the truth will lie in whether viral infection levels in vaccinated are equivalent to that of unvaccinated, if so then by that logic you could determine both are as likely to produce 'variants'. If they are equal then we'll need a rethink, but that's for scientists to determine ultimately.

Ultimately the vaxx is still good for anyone who wants to mitigate risk that comes with daily life around COVID. It clearly reduces severity of disease.

Dr Jeremy Farrar, director of Wellcome, said in a statement: “As we have learned from the very beginning of this pandemic, it’s better to act sooner than later.”

He said it was essential that governments act “swiftly and accordingly, paying close attention to the data”.

To bring Omicron under any form of control, he said, it’s critical that transmission is slowed.

If not, we could see profound impacts on health systems but also across sectors such as education, hospitality, public transport, police and essential national infrastructure as infections prevent people from working. No country can afford to think they are an exception.

Interesting piece I just read:

Researchers have already observed that Covid-19 can linger for many months in patients who are HIV positive but who have, for varying reasons, not been taking the medicines that would enable them to lead healthy lives.

"Normally your immune system would kick a virus out fairly quickly, if fully functional," said Professor Linda-Gayle Bekker, who heads the Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation in Cape Tow

"In someone where immunity is suppressed, then we see virus persisting. And it doesn't just sit around, it replicates. And as it replicates it undergoes potential mutations. And in somebody where immunity is suppressed that virus may be able to continue for many months - mutating as it goes," she added.

Back