• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That was as easy a game that we will get for this and any season. Stand outs for me were Deegan (always looking to distribute the ball intelligently) , Coker (same old), Atkinson (some good off the ball movement) and Piggott (took his chances well). That said Crawley were poor. However the catering team at Crawley put on a far worse display than the footballers; half a Mars Bar for tea! Poor show.

Tidy result, good for Pigott to get another couple, regardless of the opposition.

He's not. But I was never one of the Pig-bashers and I'm glad he's finding some form! #FeedThePig :pig:

Definitely is. :pig: > Sulky tall bloke from Ireland that isn't good enough or brave enough to test himself at a higher level.

That was as easy a game that we will get for this and any season. Stand outs for me were Deegan (always looking to distribute the ball intelligently) , Coker (same old), Atkinson (some good off the ball movement) and Piggott (took his chances well). That said Crawley were poor. However the catering team at Crawley put on a far worse display than the footballers; half a Mars Bar for tea! Poor show.
I was expecting Deegan to give away the ball near the back leading to a Crawley goal, he was showboating a bit much for my liking; I nearly bet on the draw at 1-0.

He's not. But I was never one of the Pig-bashers and I'm glad he's finding some form! #FeedThePig :pig:
I think he is, I don't remember Corr offhand scoring as good a goal as Pigott's second, tight angle, cuts back to open it out a bit and fires it through keeper into the top if the net.

At least that's how I remember it, we might get to see it now on Sky Sports News

PB will have some selection quandaries now!
All played well and I give joint M of M to Deegs and The Mr Pig.
Other notable showings from Cokes, Luke, Atko and Westy BUT ALL played well.
When this draw came out a few weeks ago I was apprehensive, we have lost at home to Daggers in this and at home to non league teams in the FA Cup in recent years, so although Creepy were (as shown by our lads to be) poor this game needed winning by a much amended Blues team who performed with room to spare.
Only booking was to WordsW.
is this the 2nd poorest ground in the leagues? only Acc S appears worse for me.
NO catering, they guessed for only less than 100 Shrimpers and got nearly 4X that from a great turn out on a very wet (and chilly) non glamour night.
Very deserved win.

Let's get this a little into perspective; Crawley are near the bottom of L2 and for me, their party is over. They have been punching above their weight for too long and it will be back into the National League before too long.

It is a long, long time since I have seen us dominate a team as we did in the first half tonight. We should have been 4 or 5 up, no problem. At times they were statues as we passed the ball from left to right. Good opening goal, great passing and moving, superb pass by Wordsworth, cool finish by Weston.

Pigott had 3 chances that he sliced/skied/hit his standing leg... Weston forced a great save from the keeper, Payne fired just wide, Wordsworth had an early effort, it was seriously all Southend. There wasn't so much a gulf between the teams but more an absolute expanse in class.

They however came out in the second half and redressed the balance a bit. I think we got complacent and they certainly had the upper hand. We couldn't dominate in the way we had done and the third goal was the icing on the cake. But if one had gone in for them, we would I'm sure have endured squeaky bum time.

But we didn't; Piggy scored 2 and it could have been more. We will not get away with that finishing against a L1 side.

Aside from that, we played really well, no-one had a bad game and into the last 8 we go. Too tired for proper ratings, everyone an 8, Atkinson 9 (MOM).

370 is a superb turnout adding factors of Tuesday night with awful weather!

Good performance just ashame it was not a league game, I hate games where you score and you just can't get the excitement because JPT games don't really inspire till the later rounds!

Oh well let's get to another final and lose it! Lol but hey at least we can go down the green man again

As others have said, a dominant first half performance from the Blues against as poor a side as I have seen in the league for a while. Make no bones about it, Creepy really were THAT bad. Felt sorry for Barney, actually showed himself about a bit but was quite easily contained by Bolger and Prosser, apart from two occasions - one excellent turn and shot away that went over, and one good take and run where either Deegan or Coker (can't quite remember which) took it off his toes with ease. Poor old Gavin Tomlin, how far have things gone wrong for him too?

Bentley - 7, solid and commanding. Endured a bit of a goal mouth flurry with successive corners midway through 2nd half.
White - 7, not quite back to match fitness but some great interceptions, missed Worrall not being on the pitch as Weston doesn't show in quite the same way.
Bolger - 7, assured performance, went on a couple of forays forward too showing he's comfortable with the ball at his feet.
Prosser - 7.5, dealt with Barnard very easily (though throwing him to the floor in the penalty area might have been a penalty from other officials!). Very commanding with his head, not one hoof all night.
Coker - 8, looked a threat every time he went forward. Such good feet!
Atkinson - 7, looked really good on a couple of occasions, but also made a couple of silly mistakes that presumably come from not having played properly for some time.
Wordsworth - 6, still a bit of an enigma for me, couple of very good things, including setting up Weston but some really poor passing. Surprised he carried on from the injury near the end of the 1st half, looked serious to us so we were amazed he came back out in the 2nd.
Deegan - 8.5, MOTM, took the centre spotlight and did things his way. Absolutely bossed it. Marked down a little for taking his eye off the ball a couple of times and being robbed.
Weston - 7.5, a threat in the 1st half but quieter in the 2nd.
Payne - 6.5, never seems to impress me as much as when he's used as an option from the bench, was pushed off the ball a bit.
Pigott - 8, very good performance from The Pig. Body language looked much more positive, he really put himself about and put a shift in for the team. The 2nd goal in particular was very well taken. Could easily have had a hat trick though!

Subs:
Timlin for Wordsworth - 7, thought he'd really dominate when he came on as we'd lost the impetus a bit, didn't, but he did ok.
Mooney for Payne - 7, he's really settling in and puts a shift in. Great ball through to Pig for his 2nd.
Worrall for Weston - no mark, not on for long and no chance to make any real impact.

Officials - ok, but some bizarre decisions for both sides. Not really a difficult game to officiate though, wasn't a lot to deal with.

Crawley's ground - we got there about 6 and headed into town and found a nice Greene King pub (the Punchbowl) and had a meal and a drink before heading back. Seems it was a right decision as food in the ground was practically non existent and the drinks were dishwater! Parked on the housing estate just the other side of the bus bollards and got away quicker than I ever have after a match!!! Bloody uncomfortable seats though, my poor knees were squashed into the back of the chair in front!

Still, enough moaning, a JPT win for the first time in 22 months. Onwards and upwards!

This will happen to burton hopefully,once the money drys up you just cannot operate with crowds under 3000

I know its easy to dismiss Crawley to easily as a club and their performance on the field. But I sat in the main stand last night, which is better than RH and I noted the pre match dinning was full. Not a bad effort by their fans, we would struggle to fill the smaller blues lounge on an important L1 match on a Tuesday night let alone for this cup.

They had selected some reserve players but unlike us have no strength in their squad and it showed.

Pigott....another brace and a couple of chances, so whatever faults you might see he is certainly getting in the right areas. If only he got the same support at RH we may see the best of him.

Weston....took his goal well and I was impressed with his hold up play. As Alan shearer might say he 'felt for his defender' and seemed comfortable when tightly marked. Showed he can do more than just run it into the corners for the last 10 minutes.

Deegan...The Crawley fans behind us, who were very sensible made him MOM. In their words 'he has absolutely run the show tonight'. Guess what their right he did. We set up in a clear diamond formation, with Deegan in front of the back four and Payne much higher. Worked well for the bearded one he even switched platy with a sixty yard pass to start the Westy goal. Tidied up every lose ball, without risking a yellow.

Payne... At the top of the diamond was the perfect chance for Jack in this no pressure game. His movement was very good coming off of their back four but we never seemed to pass it into him quick enough so the extra time he had created for himself would disappear. I know he has plenty of fans but I don't think we will be seeing him this Saturday.

The rest of the team have quite rightly been praised by other posters. See you all Saturday
thumbs%20up%20new%20aug%202010.gif

I wasn't listening properly but at it Paul Clark said that Crawleys best player was Bolger. I didn't get the context as there is nothing written in the match reports saying he was poor. Not sure if he meant crawley were that bad that the best they could hoor for was an error from one of our CCB's. Maybe some one else was paying more attention than me

I wasn't listening properly but at it Paul Clark said that Crawleys best player was Bolger. I didn't get the context as there is nothing written in the match reports saying he was poor. Not sure if he meant crawley were that bad that the best they could hoor for was an error from one of our CCB's. Maybe some one else was paying more attention than me

Not much in it but Bolger was prob. the best of a largely untroubled back 4.Against weak opposition we were in almost complete control first half but the second half was disappointing. 7's all round except 8 for Deegan who dominated and 6's for Payne and Atkinson who just don't threaten.

Bolger did make a few"passes" to them from non stressed positions and when he had loads of time and space; he made some very good passes to team mates when under pressure so what I take from that is that he does better when closed down and worse when allowed thinking time!
Wordsworth and Atko also "gave" the ball away on occasion - which they acknowledged - BUT such things will happen in these games/leagues/players - don't we see it on MOTD?

Back